ROON Feature Requests, Problems, & Comments from New User

Another way of looking at it might be that because the labels insist in providing such p**s poor metadata, then Roon Labs have a tough job in trying to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. It is of no surprise to me that they pursue other challenges first.

1 Like

Nor me Geoff. What is a surprise is the lack of a Plan B. Roon gives us neither a complete fix nor the tools to enable user fixes. Frustrating…

1 Like

Another metadata insight

1 Like

Erm - the user tools are there. It boils down to your file tags, the PERSONNEL tag in particular. I have a few albums that are too rare to have any metadata in the upstream source, and quite a few other albums whose metadata I have enriched/corrected through the use of the PERSONNEL, WORK, and PART tags.

See this page for tag details:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/File_Tag_Best_Practice

And this page for the exhaustive list of roles for use in the PERSONNEL tag.
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Credit_Roles

1 Like

John knows all of that he’s just a grumpy sod.
He fell off the path and is having to start at step one again (be nice to people) and it’s making him testy.

If he knows about it, then complaints liked “nor the tools to enable user fixes” are utterly invalid.

My big box solution works , Rock in Roon, Classical boxes JRiver

Not at all ideal but certainly less frustrating

John may be grumpy :heart_eyes:but he’s is correct.

I have lots of 3rd party tagging software but none of the changes can be made in Roon

Semantics? To get from A to B you can drive your car or take the bus - two different modes of transport to accomplish the same goal. To present better information in Roon, you can edit the metadata using a third-party tool or use the tools in Roon…

What was I saying?! Roon DOES provide everything I need. Everything is beautiful in its own way.

You were right, Mike. Roon HAS provided lots of tools and lots of exhausting lists. I remember now. I bought Yate for the challenge of it. I needed to dust off my macro programming skills.

Roon attracted me by promising a browsing experience like no other. But first, we had to go through a tagging experience. (They deemphasized that part.) And what an experience it has been. After multiple attempts at spelling Mussorgsky I can now spell it blindfolded. And my typing error rate has dropped like a stone. And while many of my compositions remain unlinked, it is primarily because of my slow typing. Just 3000 compositions left!

And, does it really matter that they don’t trust me with linkages, even though I made a point of copying and pasting the canonical title? At first it caught me off guard when I first learned that “24 Preludes…” was not the same as “Preludes (24)…” and not putting a phrase like “for piano” in the title was a sacrilege.

You are right about tools – AGAIN. Roon gave me access to TIDAL and encouraged me to import copies of all the compositions I already had. It was “necessary for the browsing experience.” Learning to import and delete tracks in TIDAL has been a growth experience for me.

“Utterly invalid” was a stinging rebuke, I admit. But it made me realize that I am the epitome of ‘utterly invalid’. No valid perspectives. No expectations. Nothing to add. All is well.

Roon has brought me hope: hope of that browsing experience one day. And it has certainly filled up my day with a myriad of tasks. I should be grateful.

2 Likes

See two hobbies for the price of one, simple.
On the flip side it worked straight off for me, apart from some obscure crappy compilations I’ve got. Even my classical was OK as I know no better as to its tagging.
Horses for courses.

1 Like

Did you include networking and kit construction? :slight_smile:

They were already a hobby so augmented rather than introduced.
I may have just swapped out a perfectly good Sonos connect for a Pi for RAAT synchronization just this week and bought another of eBay but that is neither here nor there :wink:

You always seem to fail to realize or forget that Roon is not at fault here. The metadata available for Classical, at best, is terrible.

So please, keep harping on and on and on about this…

I suspect that one days Johns tongue will be permanently stuck in his cheek :joy:

A question, I use MusicBrainz via SongKong to get metadata,

Since Roon leans heavily on All music / Rovi does anyone one know an automated lookup software for All music to fix tags before import to Roon , other than Roon that is

I am not sure that would help as it’s the same data thatRoon has but it’s worth a look

MusicBrainz, MusiCHI, All music all seem to have their own format for composition Name , ugh …

Yate (Mac)

Sure, Roon relies on 3rd party tagging tools.

It also relies on 3rd party tools to buy the music, to download the music, to place the music in the file system where Roon can read it. In my mind, tagging is just part of that process…

I see Roon as a library manager and a player/server. Sure it pulls metadata from the interwebs when possible. But in those cases where the end user wants to change the metadata, I have no problem using a 3rd party tool…

For that matter, I don’t even want Roon touching the curated metadata on my files. Roon reads my files from a read-only file share for that purpose.

'Course that is just me… To each their own.

1 Like

I agree, I spent a lot of time tagging my library and am happy thatRoon leaves it alone

I maybe strange but I have to keep 2 libraries active, I need DLNA for my soundbar and wireless speakers at the moment, so my curated stuff still has a use

@John_Birch- First, welcome!

That’s all I have to say for now :smile: Just want to ensure you get a warm welcome since you announced yourself as a new user.

Welcome :tada: