Roon Financial Stability / is Roon Labs LLC a “good investment”?

Oh, I wouldn’t know about that - I refuse to use Facebook. Spawn of the devil. :wink:

5 Likes

Some of the advice on here is decidedly questionable at times…

… but it usually sorts itself out in the end… :wink:

(And I’m going to have to go and look now… I can’t help myself… )

1 Like

I deleted my FB account 4 years ago and had them expunge my data, as well as my Instagram account (since it’s in the same data structure). Pain is non-trivial there - there are some people who just assume that I know something because they posted it on FB, and I certainly am a little bit less in-the-know about friends’ kids etc than I would be. But I have spent too much money on FB advertising and seen too many people’s views be changed to want to share my data with them. I’m more comfortable with the 2P data players, even though I don’t like them it’s a cost of being on the web given the actual nature of what they can see/accumulate. So there are a bunch of audio groups I don’t get to look at :frowning:

I like forums like this, SBAF, HF far better anyways - at least I think I do!

2 Likes

Actually Schiit is no different. I had a Chord Qute Dac stop working with my Mac (which at that time was running Roon core) because Apple stopped support for the USB driver they were using. There is no absolute security that anything you buy will work or be around for the long term. A stable company can become unstable tomorrow. A device can end of life at any time or another party can bork it like Apple did with mine. You pay your money and take your chances. I have 2 lifetime Roon licenses so I’ve made my bet… I think you made the right choice also.

1 Like

My ongoing contribution to Roon has been recruiting new users. I have a number of friends and family who thought Spotify was the only practical streaming option, and/or didn’t have a good way to play the digital music they already had.

Ten minutes into playing around with Roon on my iPad, they ask for help setting up a Roon system for themselves.

Everyone one of them has become a subscriber, which is testament to the value of Roon. Most of them now have NUC/ROCK setups, and none of them have had problems with their setups. Shows how easy it is with help from someone who has already progressed up the learning curve.

If you want to secure a stable future for Roon (and yourself as a user), go recruit some friends. Most are too intimidated to get going by themselves, and you are their best option for success!

6 Likes

I do empathise, i have no alerts, publish no sensitive personal information, gave up following anything (other than my running group) & don’t accept many friend requests. Peace! :slight_smile:

I just noticed the monthly option…thought they’d never do it TBH.

TELL YOUR FRIENDS…

Black Friday special too…$1 for three months.

I have a lifetime license so I’m still trying to figure out how that helps me.

I guess you didn’t bother to read the linked thread -

1 Like

I read it 6 months ago and again today. I guess my definition of soon enough and yours are different.

That said, I do not need anything from Roon to make me happy, other than their continued success.

2 Likes

Not looking for an argument.

I was only trying to give you a heads up, in case you didn’t know.

Not vested in anything.

I switch to lifetime membership 4 weeks after Roon increase, I still paid $500, they refunded me $80 after 4 months annual. Roon very sweet.

1 Like

Mate, There is no way to predict the future. The only verity is the present, and quite frankly, I utterly enjoy Roon. I plunged for a life subscription a couple years ago on the basis of a month’s subscription, and feel that I’ve already got my month’s work. Gosh – the music I’ve discovered, the stuff I’ve learned, the community… Staggering and unquantifiable. I’d rather invest in their success and recruit new people so that they don’t go under. I doubt it anyway. So mate, if you have $ 500 tucked away under a pillow, there are a few ways to spend it better. Just go for it, and live for the moment.

Except that it’s now $700.

Roon is not an investment, it’s an expense. You’re not buying something you can sell later for a profit. They are also not a charity, they are a business. I suspect the guys and gals that run Roon are smart enough to run their business without all of us telling them how. And finally, lifers are not a drain on Roon. If we were, they would drop that option. A $700 cash infusion once in a while is not a bad thing. Everyone should do what makes sense for you. We’re not talking about buying a new car or house. It’s not a monumental financial decision.

3 Likes

It might be an expense, but one of passion. And crimes of passion, as we all know, have their own rules. If there is anything we have learned this year, there is no telling when we might be floored by an invisible little viral critter. We must of course be judicious in our spending, but, as that Mastercard ad put it so eloquently, somethings are just… priceless!

1 Like

I bought Roon lifetime just over a year ago for $500. I figure my cost is down to about $0.20 per hour by now. Not many things I can enjoy as much for that price.

1 Like

Looked at differently, even an annual subscription amounts to just $10 a month! For the amazing GIU, discovery, eq, and other serious under the hood stuff. Whilst I am glad to have sprung for a life time subscription when I did, I’d have continued as a monthly subscriber if I had not had that choice. I am more than happy to subscriber for a mobile subscription – for when I travel again.

1 Like

Totally agree. I think at how much people pay for a MS Office subscription and compare the value!

I would do annual if not lifetime. No reason to pay the 30 percent upcharge for monthly. Where else can you make 30 percent on your money?