Roon Folder v Watched Folder

I know that Importing Music into your Roon organized folder results in Roon possibly rearranging the Folder / File structure

Assuming that the User has a typical Artist / Album / Track folder structure in their “Watched” folder…does the Roon Organized folder offer any performance or other advantages over just using Watched folders??

Funny…I was just about to ask the exact same question prompted by the artwork update question.

E.g. Does updating cover art in the app apply that cover art to a managed folder? I was thinking about how to best prevent EVER having to repeat any manual edits like wrong album or artwork.

Does manage folder cover things like this ?

Should it? Could it?

does Roon Organized folder offer any performance or other advantages over just using Watched folders??

Other than making your files/directory names pretty, there are no advantages.

E.g. Does updating cover art in the app apply that cover art to a managed folder? I was thinking about how to best prevent EVER having to repeat any manual edits like wrong album or artwork.

We don’t currently re-tag files in organized folders. It’s something we’ve occasionally considered, but we repeatedly shy away, because it’s a risky feature.

An example: assume that we get an identification wrong and we re-tag your files. Now we’ve put your files in an unrecognizeable directory AND ruined the original tags and artwork. It’s really hard to “un-do” that operation. You’ll be lucky if you can ever properly locate the files again.

From my perspective as a user, I prefer the predictability of the “no-touch” watched folder. If I want clean, tagged files for my phone or the car or whatever, I’m happy to export the subset that I need.

2 Likes

Indeed, probably just as well not to tamper with local metadata. If I want to change it, I will do that using other programs.