Roon for Linux [done in 1.2]

Yes, RoonServer does not touch the actual files unless you use an “organized folder” which I never suggest anyone use.

[quote=“Jeffrey_Moore, post:106, topic:2116”]
RoonServer treats the actual music files as strictly read-only, right?
[/quote]That’s correct for Roon watched folders, but not for Roon orgainised.

1 Like

You can have Roon delete files… To prevent mishaps Roon will only have Read access.

Is this true, and true even for “watched folders” rather than “organized folders”? And on delete does Roon reach out and delete the underlying file, rather than only mark it gone in the database?

I suppose that whatever Roon’s behavior, the sensible thing for me to do to avoid having to have a further thought about this issue would be to make sure the files in question are read-only to the user RoonServer is running as.

1 Like

It deletes the audio files. There has been some alpha discussion about this and a suggestion that Roon should move files to a Roon user specified “Recycle Bin” that sits out side of a watched folder. A user can then review the bin and clear it.

This also touches on User profile securities and party mode options.

@mike…just flagging this fyi

1 Like

Any time the word ‘delete’ pops up in Roon I get scared. Could Roon not just flag the files as not required in the library, rather than physically delete them?

Do people actually delete their audio files regularly? I never delete anything even if I don’t like it. If I bought it, I just keep it around in case things change.

I suppose if there was a corrupted file or whatever, then that would be a delete scenario, but I would have thought deleting was a bad thing in any other case - especially in a multi-user environment - as one user could delete files that another user listens to?

1 Like

Duplicate/partial/crap mp3s from years ago… with 10k+ unique albums, I have a lot of cruft over the years.

I did a double-take at the word albums!!!

How is this even possible? Once again I feel like a lesser mortal. :smile:

we’ve seen users with 500k+ tracks, you can do the math for # of albums

we’ve seen 35k+ albums in the Sooloos days – but that person was president of a major record label!

I think out of 10k, I only care about 3000 albums. With TIDAL, I have been “owning” less, and “adding to library” more :grin:

1 Like

I built the Intel NUC5i5RYH, 16gb RAM, and a Samsung SM951 128gb M.2 NVMe on Windows 10 Home for the Roon core. File store is on the Synology DS1815+. It’s ~5k albums, 50k tracks.

Output is to an Auralic Aries with v3.0 RoonReady, and 2 Airport Express devices. I’ll probably try the Sonore uRendu or Sonic Orbiter at some point.

So far I’m happy with where it is now, very nice platform, still learning.

1 Like

@Tom_Schmidt – that is indeed a really sweet system for Roon.

Any update with the release date for the linux version?

No date yet, but we are almost there…

My hands are getting itchy in expectation

Even though it is less desired, it’s killing our entire team even more than the iOS release.

We’re on it guys, thanks for being so patient with us.

4 Likes

Believe me, it’s desired, and appreciated :grinning:

1 Like

Danny, you mentioned 24 days ago you said it was almost there.

Now 24 days later is it really almost there. Not having a dig, just a genuine question as I’m waiting until this comes out before getting an Antipodes DS Server.

Cheers
JC

I suspect they are going to release it with 1.2, which I understand is in alpha testing

Back in December Brian said the Linux release was held up due to RoonSpeakers, so can’t see it being held up now because of the 1.2 release. Also if 1.2 is still at Alpha stage then can’t see how 24 days ago the Linux version was “almost there”.

Not having a go at any of the Roon guys (you’re doing a great job), but just wondering if there’s any more concrete info on the release date, i.e. sometime this March

I hope @mike doesn’t mind me saying that the Linux build just went into Alpha testing.

That doesn’t mean much though: the Roon team can’t predict when any particular feature will be released. All sorts of things could happen as part of testing.

Patience! They’re working as hard as they possibly can!

2 Likes