Roon for Linux [done in 1.2]

My hands are getting itchy in expectation

Even though it is less desired, it’s killing our entire team even more than the iOS release.

We’re on it guys, thanks for being so patient with us.

4 Likes

Believe me, it’s desired, and appreciated :grinning:

1 Like

Danny, you mentioned 24 days ago you said it was almost there.

Now 24 days later is it really almost there. Not having a dig, just a genuine question as I’m waiting until this comes out before getting an Antipodes DS Server.

Cheers
JC

I suspect they are going to release it with 1.2, which I understand is in alpha testing

Back in December Brian said the Linux release was held up due to RoonSpeakers, so can’t see it being held up now because of the 1.2 release. Also if 1.2 is still at Alpha stage then can’t see how 24 days ago the Linux version was “almost there”.

Not having a go at any of the Roon guys (you’re doing a great job), but just wondering if there’s any more concrete info on the release date, i.e. sometime this March

I hope @mike doesn’t mind me saying that the Linux build just went into Alpha testing.

That doesn’t mean much though: the Roon team can’t predict when any particular feature will be released. All sorts of things could happen as part of testing.

Patience! They’re working as hard as they possibly can!

2 Likes

Linux RoonServer was built from the ground up using RAAT as audio distribution. In 1.2 all OS versions are being converted to RAAT. Hence the comments about Linux being ready but held back. It was substantially completed a while ago but has to wait for the rest of Roon to catch up in order to maintain interoperability between Cores and Remotes of all varieties.

I’m actually disappointed other features and RoonBridge are being held up for the Linux build.

in the meantime enjoy the music.:beers:

Andy

So the Linux version is essentially finished, but it’s the others that are holding up it’s release. Just hope it’s not much longer.but realise it’s software so what can seem like nearly there can be held up by unforeseen bugs, etc. at the end (realise the Roon guys wouldn’t want to issue anything buggy, as that would give them more hassles).

As I mentioned before I’m waiting for the Linux version to be implemented into the Antipodes nDS Server before buying, hence my eagerness for it’s release.

Cheers
John

Well that’s not happening, except in the sense that everything in the release is being tested, so don’t fret.

Yep. That’s my point. If it weren’t for the Linux build we’d probably get the fixes for things like the problems with SMB volumes and Macs, etc. earlier. A lot is waiting on 1.2, and 1.2 would be done faster without the Linux build. I know the fixes are coming in due time, it’s too bad it depends on the Linux build working, too.

I know many folks are being very respectful when they ask, but, I do worry that too much “are we there yet” and “well you did say say nearly or almost” will just mean Danny and the team will be ever more reluctant to keep you informed about what they are doing.

Please give this some thought. The output from this team has been extraordinary so far… The new aspects of 1.2 will need a lot of testing before release. You’d expect nothing less.

2 Likes

Nick

Point taken, and I wasn’t trying to downplay the excellent communication by Danny, Brian and the rest of the Roon team. Patience is a virtue, but it’s bloody hard to do :wink:

Hopefully the Linux version and 1.2 will be out soon, but as mentioned before I do realise it’s better to release a bug free version (as much as feasibly possible) rather than have the heartache of numerous issues down the track.

Cheers
John

[quote=“fritzg, post:132, topic:2116, full:true”]
Yep. That’s my point. If it weren’t for the Linux build we’d probably get the fixes for things like the problems with SMB volumes and Macs, etc. earlier. A lot is waiting on 1.2, and 1.2 would be done faster without the Linux build. I know the fixes are coming in due time, it’s too bad it depends on the Linux build working, too.
[/quote]your conclusion is incorrect.

I’m reacting to the idea that RoonBridge and 1.2 are slowing down the Linux build. To me it’s the opposite. This discussion is really silly, and it does look like an awful lot is being put in version 1.2, new features, apps and builds for new platforms, bug fixes, improved functionality, etc.

The fact that a build for a new platform is coming with all the fixes is gravy.

There are many changes/ enhancements being implemented. Linux builds and Roon Bridge are neither hampering nor being hampered, the changes are across all platforms. It’ll be released when it’s been through testing and issues resolved.

A few clarifications:

What’s gone into testing over the last few days is not “the Linux build”. It’s a new build of Roon that includes support for Linux, along with over a hundred other bug fixes, new pieces of functionality, performance improvements, UI refinements, etc. Testing on some new functionality (like Linux) has kicked off because it will need more QA cycles than the other odds and ends we’re still working on and hoping to include in 1.2.

We try to give the community as much insight as we can about what’s coming without over-committing. We’ve pulled features late in the cycle before and we don’t want to disappoint people. Talking about what’s coming is a double-edged sword, and the truth is I can tell you exactly when 1.2 will ship – when everything is fully tested, and we’re confident as a team that’s it’s stable and ready.

Releasing major features together is efficient because QA cycles can cover a number of new areas at once. Nothing is being “held up” – this is simply the fastest and most efficient way to ship major new functionality. Test, and test, and test… Then, test some more…

Putting our “soon” comments under the microscope isn’t going to get things stable faster, but it can make us more hesitant to comment in the future. I promise :pray: we want this stable and out the door as much as you guys, so for now I’m just going to say “soon” and close this thread down.

Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

this was done in 1.2 - go get it!

5 Likes