Roon for mac crashes on launch

Running mac OS 13.2 on M1 Mac Studio. 64 Gigs of RAM. Direct ethernet connect to Araknis Router AN-110-SW-R-16. Roon running on Nucleus +

Everything running pretty well but yesterday morning went to start Roon on Mac Studio. App bounces on dock, then stops. No notices on screen. Have restarted mac… reinstalled Roon for Mac. No changes to Roon when the issues started.
So simply can’t launch Roon app. Not sure what else to try. Thanks

Connected Audio Devices

Connects to multiple Roon ready devices, but probably not relevant here. Roon launches and runs fine form my MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone so it is something connected to this Mac Studio.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hey @Mel_Martin,

Good to see you on community! Following up on this thread, are you still having issues here? I see your M1 was online recently.

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :pray:

Hi Ben. Thanks for the note. I completely removed all signs of Roon (the app and everything in the system library) and reinstalled and now it is working. Not sure what caused this.
My remaining issue on both Macs MacBook Pro and M1 Studio is that if you leave Roon running and go away for awhile and try to bring it up Roon gives me the spinning wheel of death. If I leave it a couple of minutes it recovers, but it’s faster to force quit and start the app again. This has been happening the past several updates of Roon. It’s the only remaining nasty issue I’d love to see solved. ARC is a wonder, use it all the time.

Mel

Hey @Mel_Martin,

If you could please recreate the issue and share the specific data and time of when the issue occurs, that would be helpful :pray:

Easily done.

It did it for a few seconds this morning at 9:37 MT on my MacBook Pro. It’s usually much longer, up to a minute. I’ll keep an eye on it and send additional reports. This issue results in the spinning beach ball.

Locked up at 9:21 MT tonight… finally had to force quit to get Ron back again.

Mel

at 4:12 PM on my Mac Studio simply went to minimize window… and got the spinning wheel o death… waited awhile… then had to force quit as Roon Mac app not responding.

Hey @Mel_Martin,

Do you have Time Machine enabled on the Mac Studio (or any of your mac remotes having issues?) Please test out disabling Time Machine backups temporarily and let me know if your issues persist.

If your issues do persist, I would also refresh your database on the Mac having issues:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :pray:

Will certainly try. It happens on both Macs. A laptop and a Studio Mac. Been going on at least a year.

Had another Freeze on roon app tonight at 9:32 PM. Time Machine was not running. Had to force quit Roon app… will try your suggestions tomorrow… doubt it is Time Machine though.

Thanks

Mel

Hey @Mel_Martin,

Thanks for the update. Did this happen after refreshing the database? Which machine experienced the freeze?

Time machine has been known to cause issues with Roon in the past, how often do you run backups? Do you use it on both Macs?

I haven’t refreshed the data base yet. Backups are once an hour. I’ve had 3 or 4 freezes. The backups were not running during any of them. Has anyone else reported this?

Hi @Mel_Martin,

Please continue to have Time Machine disabled, and make sure to add Roon as an ignored path in your Time Machine backups.

With that, let me know if you can verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.