Roon for use of Tidal into Naim NAC 272

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Nothing for now.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Naim NAC 272 - NAP 250 DR.

Description Of Issue
Hi

I want to buy the NAC 272 preamp-streamer from Naim. I am only listening to Tidal and Internetradio (I do not use my computer for audio and I do not have a NAS), at the moment trough my Naim ND5XS.

The buffer is small on my streamer and I want to go up in sound quality. However, the NAC 272 is a bit the same on streaming technology (small buffer).

It was suggested to me to use Roon as sound quality may even be better with Tidal and I would have less issues with the buffer. Is this correct, will I have fewer dropouts and better SQ?

What would then be needed for me (except for the Roon subscription)?

I found Sonore to be a device needed for that, but do I need other hardware (Roon server, computer, NAS etc) or can I just plug in my network cable in this sonore device and then in my future Naim NAC 272 and do everything by an app on my iPhone?

Thanks

You would need a computer to act as a server. Also, Roon is a heavy user of networks do if you think you have network buffering issues roon wouldn’t be a fix.

Hi @Peter_Kayaert,

Sonore does make a line of Roon Cores called SonicTransporter, if you get one of these Core devices, you won’t need to host the Roon Core on your PC, otherwise you will need to use the PC as the Roon Core. I would suggest taking a look over our User Guide as this provides a wealth of information on what Roon can do and will help get you started.

If you get a Sonore bridge (I assume you were looking at microRendu/ultraRendu) and then plug in your DAC, yes you will be able to control Roon through your iPhone.

As @ged_hickman1 mentioned though, Roon is very reliant on a stable network connection, and may not help with buffering issues. Our Networking Best Practices guide does provide quite a few suggestions on how to set up your network for best stability.

I would say the best way to see if Roon is right for you would be to give it a spin by starting the two week trial we offer and connect everything to a PC that can run the Roon Core and meets our Minimum Requirements. Once you have the basics up and running, you can take a look at adding more devices to the chain or tweaking the network setup.

Hope this helps!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.