Roon "forgets" previously indexed music, force rescan does not add them back

Roon Core Machine

BXNNUC10i7FNHN1, Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express, CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

QNAP 531x NAS - TPlink ER 7206 hardwire router

Connected Audio Devices

Bridge on mini PC, HDMI out to ROTEL RSP

Number of Tracks in Library

75,000+ tracks. Sorted into 7 folders on NAS.

Description of Issue

Almost weekly, Roon forgets much of the music previously indexed. Last night I listened alot, created a playlist and the library showed over 75,700 tracks. This morning all good. This afternoon it shows only 10,506. Try force rescan. software shows it scanning hundreds or thousands of tracks (depending on folder) but it does not add them. They had been parts of the library and played successfully earlier in the day…

Hey @Buzz_Goddard,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, it’s great to see you on community again!

As a first step, can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage in Roon? Additionally, can you select the storage location(s) here and choose Edit and then take a screenshot of the Edit Storage Location screen(s) as well?

A few other things to consider: double-check your QNAP firewall settings to make sure roon is listed as an exception. Also, if you have any larger folders that contain misspelled or incorrect metadata, that can oftentimes cause problems to your database.

In the meantime, if this issue happens again, would you provide more specific timestamps of when the issue is occurring? That way, we can enable diagnostics on your account and take a deeper look into what might be happening at the time the issue occurs.

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

right now Roon is behaving normally. All folders being scanned and tracks added normally. I’ll add more data when it glitches

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Roon missing files when rescanning

I was on business trip for 5 days. Left Core and NAS running. Wife did not use/access. Once again missing tracks and force rescan of folders shows lots of tracks but Roon does not add them back in to library. Down from approx 76,000 to only 18629.

Since would like to listen to some music that is “missing”, I went into my NUC Core via IP address and restarted Roon (not expecting support on a summer weekend!)… It is busy rescanning now and is already up to 25k and climbing. We’ll see if it “remembers” albums I helped it identify. and of course plays lists.

I think there is something intermittently broken in hardware in your system or a software is tripping something.
There’s lots of people on here with your system type who have no issues at all.
Perhaps add an external drive to the nuc and run from that temporarily disabling the nas connection and see if that runs OK.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.