Roon freezes on startup Android 12

Since I installed Android 12 on my Samsung Note 20 Ultra, Roon remote stopped working. It freezes after startup and shows the Roon logo (first moving, then freezes the movement of the logo).
Restarted the phone, did not solve the problem. Removing the app and reinstalling Roon remote, did solve it. Is this a known issue?

Hey @RM_Kamphuis,

Thanks for getting in touch and sharing a bit about the issue you’re experiencing. We’d love to help out. To that end, could you please fill out the template below?

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

Dear Beka,

Thanks for reaching out! Here is my setup:

Roon Core Machine

Synology NAS 218+, DSM 7.0.1-42218, INTEL Celeron J3355, 10Gb RAM. Core is on a Samsung T7 SSD, USB 3.0./ 1000Mb/s

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Fritz!Box 7581, 106,9Mbit/s down, 32,1Mbit/s up
LAN switched off and connected to MESH Netgear Orbi RBK50 base and one RBK50 satellite on 5GHz Wifi 2600Mb/s

Connected Audio Devices

• KEF LS50W2 by network cable connected to RBK50
  • Sonos One SL by Wifi

Number of Tracks in Library

15843 tracks in total
3273 tracks Highresfiles on NAS
The rest on Tidal

Description of Issue

I actually have two problems:

1. When scrolling through albums I experience slow loading of the album covers. Slowest end point is my 2020 MacBook Air, 1,1 Ghz, Intel i3, 8Ghz (photo). My Samsung Note 20 Ultra is slightly faster (Android 12). This did not happen before. Before what, I don’t know (router/mesh no updates- Android went from 11 to 12 two weeks ago and MacBook went from 12.0 to 12.1 last week but it seems longer than that before it occured).

2. The Android Roon-remote froze totally 3 days ago. It could not be started again and was stuck in the Roon logo on startup. Clearing the cache, hard stopping the app did not work. Solution was a reboot of my phone. After that the Roon remote started as normal. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this at the moment since the problem did not occur anymore. This freezing issue was certainly after upgrading to Android 12.

Kind regards,
René

Hey @RM_Kamphuis,

Thanks for all the information you’ve shared and for your patience while we got a moment to reply.

Based on all the symptoms you’ve described, it is very likely that you are affected by a known bug:

What might also interfere is the fact that the device you’re using as a Core (the Synology NAS) does not meet our recommendations for an optimal experience. Would you be able to try to use your Macbook as a Roon Core and see if the issue persists

Thanks Beka,

I will wait how the future updates will handle this bug. If it persists I will have to consider another Roon core. Which is a bit strange because it used to work perfectly in the past…

Kind regards,
René Kamphuis

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.