Roon freezing/unresponsive on Windows 10

unfortunately this is outdated and these settings no longer exist in the Nvidia control panel

Hi @Breen_Lyden ,

Can you please check to see if you experience the same issue on the latest Roon release?

Yes, Iā€™m still experiencing the same issue on 1.8 (build 880) stable (64bit)

Update: still experiencing this with Build 882 and Nvidia driver 497.29

I am also experiencing the same issue and have been for months now. Iā€™ve tried everything listed as well.

Hi @Breen_Lyden ,

What kind of GPU do you have installed on your Core? Can you provide the model?

The error appears to be related to some kind of graphics card interaction, in the past DDU has helped others, it is worth a try:

@Adam_Pepperney - Please list your graphics card as well, in case there are similarities.

Thanks!

I have a Asus Strix 3090. Iā€™ve tried DDU and it did not work

I have the same problem as described above.

Hi @Breen_Lyden ,

Thanks for trying DDU and sorry to hear it hasnā€™t helped. I am checking with the team regarding your case, the only other suggestion I can think of in the interim is to ensure you donā€™t have any ā€œOverlayā€ programs running from your graphics card, these have caused issues in the past.

HP 3090; driver reinstall and DDU didnā€™t work

I donā€™t have any overlay programs running

Hi @Breen_Lyden / @Adam_Pepperney ,

Thanks for those details! I checked with the team on this and they noticed something interesting in Breenā€™s logs, the render scale appears to be 150%.

For the purposes of testing, can you please check to see if this is related to the issue at hand? Does the issue occur when setting scaling to 100% as well?

Also, can you please provide any details as to what you are doing immediately before the issue occurs? Does it always occur on a specific screen?

Let us know, thanks!

Noris,

Interestingly enough, I tried DDU again with the latest Nvidia drivers and I so far the issue seems to be resolved. However in the past, I had seen it working before only to stop again later. Iā€™ll monitor and let you know if I still see the issue. Fingers crossed!

Adam

Just an update. All of a sudden the UI kept freezing again on minimizing. The only change that I made on Nvidia settings was changing this check box to ā€œUse NVIDIA color settingsā€ and setting image to 10 bit (using a 10 bit 4K monitor). Then the problem started. Once I changed it back to ā€œUse the default color settingsā€ it seems to be working again. Attached picture of the setting in question.

Hope this helps with the diagnostic.

Adam

1 Like

That is a very interesting observation @Adam_Pepperney , thanks for pointing that out! You might be onto something here :thinking:

@Breen_Lyden - Can you please check to see if this setting also reproduces the issue on your end (and turning it off makes it go away)?

@noris @Adam_Pepperney The issues still occur when setting the scale to 100% and ā€œUse the default color settingsā€. I tested these separately over the last few days. It freezes after a while, no matter what I do.

Hi @Breen_Lyden ,

Sorry to hear that the theory didnā€™t pan out.

Are there any patterns for when the freeze occurs? Does it always happen after navigating to a specific tab in Roon or a certain artists/track/playlist/etc?

1 Like

Freezes almost constantly if i minimize the window and then restore it. if I never minimize it, it doesnā€™t freeze.

1 Like

no pattern that I notice

Hi @Breen_Lyden ,

Thanks for confirming there is no pattern. When we last took a look over your logs, there were not many clues, unfortunately.

@B / @Andrew_Baker2 - Can you please note the time + date of the next hang and access and upload Roon logs here after it occurs and let me know once uploaded?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

You can use these instructions to access logs, thanks!