Roon Frozen on Desktop, Still Works Using iPad or iPhone

Mac Mini Late 2012 2.6 GHz Quad Core Intel Core 7
16GB Ram
OS Catalina 10.15.7

Ethernet connection to Mac mini from unidentified router supplied by internet provider. (Have had the router for 6 months.)

USB to Chord Qutest Dac, latest version of Roon on all devices.

Was browsing by record label when Roon froze showing ten or so albums on the screen and became unresponsive. Forced quit Roon and restarted it and it opened at the same screen and was unresponsive. Deleted Roon and downloaded a new version, which reopened at the same page the last version was stuck on, and was unresponsive.

However, while it is hanging on the Mac mini, I can still play music from the Mac mini via the attached Chord Dac using either my iPad or iPhone to control things. I’m guessing I’ve missed some preference file that needs to be reset when I download a clean version of the program.

Cheers,

Craig.

Restarted the Mac mini?

Also, are you running Server and Remote on the mini as seperate software or just running Core?

Hi,

Yes, restarted Mac mini.

I have core on Mac mini, Roon remote on iPad and iPhone.

Thanks,

Craig.

Is there any other way to get help? I’m surprised that I pay each year for Roon but there doesn’t seem to be a direct way to get help. It’s becoming almost unusable and this is my sole way of playing my music.

Cheers,

Craig.

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I’m using a PC with Windows 10. I was just browsing some random artist and it just locked up. Music continued to play and I could control the core using my IPad and my IPhone. I shut the app down several times. Even rebooted my computer with no help. Luckily I didn’t panic and I left it overnight and now it works fine again. My core is on a Nucleus so I assumed it was something with the app on the PC. Anyway, I wish I had some help for you, but I have no idea how the app can lock up one day and work fine the next.

Interesting. It has been about a week for me now and mine has not reset despite the computer being shut down daily.

Hey @Craig_Fenemor,

I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Partially, this is due to the fact that Roon support works Monday through Friday at this time.

It looks like you’ve also contacted us over email and we’ve started helping there. Have you seen our reply? We’d love to help out :nerd_face:

Not to get in the way of Roon support, but another user in another thread suggested resetting your PRAM. Directions are on line.

The Roon team came to my aid and with another fresh reload and a database replacement all has come back together again. Very strange but now that I know where a few things hide on my computer I’ll be better prepared if it happens again.

1 Like