Roon gave me the best new year’s present: it stopped working again!

When you go to the web interface (http://10.0.1.54) what versions are on that output?

What are you doing to install and/or recover? What’s the internal drive on your Nuc?

“An SSD array” and “USB-C” seems weird to me since ROCK wouldn’t support this “array” configuration. What do you mean by “array”? (and I put array in quotes because that word has a real meaning when it comes to setting up multiple drives acting in an array)

What I mean by “SSD-array” is an external SSD raid device that has two 4 TB disks in a RAID-0 configuration. It’s simply an external USB disk as far as the NUC is concerned, and it reads the combined 8 TB disk just fine, so that’s not where the problem lies.

For recovery, I just put in the ROCK USB installer, reboot, and then select the option that recovers the previous installation. There’s an internal 2TB NVME disk on the NUC that stores the ROCK install. Here are the details from the ROCK web page. I’m not using the 4 TB local disk at present, this was originally intended to store my music library, but then it got bigger than the local disk size!

Thanks for the help, if someone can help fix my problems, that would be a great new year present!

Thousands of people update NUC-based Roon systems every time there is an update with no problems whatsoever. If you have problems all the time, maybe you should consider that Roon is not the problem…

3 Likes

Are you using the latest USB installer from the website. The Server is current but your Operating System is old. Latest release was sent out in Aug Roon OS Release Notes

I’m not sure the best path forward to fix this other than running an update and debugging from there. I guess you could try reinstalling (from the web) and see if it reinstalls the latest. If that doesn’t work pulling the latest image from Roon Labs might be the better path if you have to re-install again. This might be a good question for support.

I would move this to the @support thread so that they can see what’s what for you.

But just a comment: you were running on two strange platforms which I suspect haven’t seen Roon server much: Mac Pro (though really that’s just a Mac) and Windows Server. And then ROCK on a maxed-out NUC. My guess is that ROCK, like most boutique small-market configurations, hasn’t see all that much deployment, compared to more mainstream flavors of Linux. Small-market configurations suffer from less experience and fewer bug reports. I would try putting vanilla Linux, maybe Ubuntu server, on your NUC, then the Roon Server, and see if your problems clear up.

I just put something together you may be running into. Between OS version 1.0.186, your version, and 1.0.227, current, this happened:

If the upgrade from 186 is passing you through 221 it could cause you problems (depending on if you have an impacted NVMe drive). The solution is to recover with the latest image from Roon Labs website (which I mentioned previously). I assume you recovered with the first version you ever downloaded instead of latest and that’s your issue.

Get your Nuc on the latest OS.

I’d go follow the directions on that link which is:

Next steps for those affected

ROCK

For those running ROCK, you’ll want to download the latest version here and run the recovery function . Note that if you install instead of recover, your database and settings will be lost, so it’s important you choose the correct option.

After running the recovery, everything should function properly again.

1 Like

I don’t believe the usb-c port is supported on NUC and ROCk.

Ovine this to the #support area

First point. Your ROCK installation is the latest version. The update message should be for something else in your network. The very first thing Support will say is make sure every thing is up to date.

Second point. I am pretty sure the USB C ports don’t work when using ROCK. When investigating USB RAID arrays as a possible solution for someone else with a large collection I saw there were USB C and USB A solutions. The right choice for ROCK was USB A.

Finally, why RAID 0? If you get a failure or corruption you lose everything.

1 Like

What is the NUC model number?

I considered running a ROCK on my NUC i5, but decided against it as I am not familiar with Linux and its compatibility with e.g. above USB C.
Regular Win 10 Pro with Roon Core installation, a number of endpoints and the library on a USB C 8 GB HDD directly connected to the NUC and configured as network drive. The database resides on the internal SSD which is way oversized for the job. Library is synchronized with a NAS that sits a few rooms away.
Works reliably and never had any issues with updates. Apart from the occasional issue with Tidal login or my Cambridge 851 going AWOL from the network all works well.

Sadly, that might be part of the story. It’s easy to overthink things when one has so much stuff in their heads. Knowledge is a great thing until it becomes an unwanted bias.

You opened a support thread with Roon once and it appears there was no follow through to their initial overture. Give them a chance to help you through this. They have tools to analyze the problem.

Hope you can get this running right for 2021 and beyond!

2 Likes

Not sure what this means. Roon seems perfectly able to access all of my music library and index it, so that can’t be the case.

The NUC model number is NUC8i7BEH.

Yes, I realize RAID0 is not a great choice, but at the time, 4 TB SSD drives were the largest you could get. Now that 8 TB SSD drives are not too expensive, I could replace the external USB RAID0 drive with an 8 TB internal SSD drive, except I don’t see a simple way to add music to the internal drive from the external drive. There’s no command on the web menu. I suppose I could access the files on my ROCK server through an external computer and then do a file copy, which would be quite slow as it would go over the network.

Your on an old version of the ROCK OS. I would update that and see if you still have problems. Just choose Reinstall from the webui and it will update it to the latest version. Its safe to do this and you wont loose your library as they are on seperate partitions. No need to restore your library either.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I rolled back the update on my ROCK and got my Roon system working again. As long as I don’t update the iOS apps, I should be ok for now. For some reason, the iPhone app is considerably more brittle than the iPad one. I’m going to leave it as is since if it’s working why mess with it is my philosophy.

Because you’re running in an absolutely unsupported way. Make sure you bookmark this thread. When your system implodes on itself again, and it will, you can come back here where the answer on how to fix it has already been provided.

2 Likes

In the past ROCK and Nucleus did not support USB-C / TB3 connected devices…perhaps this has recently changed in the last RoonOS upgrade to include at least USB-C drives. @Danny ?

Thanks for your information and help, and I appreciate all the suggestions folks have made. But I have used Roon for several years, long enough to realize that there’s no stable version ever in my experience. It seems to have numerous glitches, regardless of which platform I use (Windows, Mac, Linux, Rock etc.), and the control apps on my iPhone have never worked reliably in the past 2+ years. Still, I persevere, because it is a good product, and I have a lifetime membership, so you could stay I’m stuck on Roon!

Fortunately, I have a backup controller with the Auralic, which plays Qobuz far more reliably than Roon ever did, and has never ever crashed on me once in several years of heavy use. But the Auralic controller is less flexible than Roon, and tied to that one platform. So, it’s a question of tradeoffs. I keep hoping that Roon will work out the bugs, hopefully that will come true in 2021!

Again, maybe the problem isn’t with Roon.

I have been using Roon for almost 4 years and have had one problem that was quickly rectified. Roon has been super stable on my iMac and then on the two sonicTransporters that I have had. I still use a sonicTransporter i9 for my Roon Core. Roon has also been stable on my iPad for the time I have used it. By the way I have used both Tidal and Qobuz, for a while at the same time, and now use Qobuz alone along with my local library. Roon was great on my ultraRendu too. Now I use HQPlayer Embedded and Roon and HQPlayer have worked perfectly together.

Maybe the cause of the problems is you or your setup…

1 Like