Roon has been slow but has gotten closer to unusable with Roon 1.8

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Ubuntu LTS 20.04
A pair of Xeon E5-2680v2
128GB ECC memory
24x8TB drives, direct attached (no network storage from music → Roon)
Latest Roon 1.8 build 764
I also have a separate SSD solely dedicated to Roon metadata (Intel DC S3500 800GB SATA)
I’d also like to note that this array runs on zfs and in other applications I regularly see transfer speeds upward of 500-600MB/s

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

10G enterprise switch from server to desktop with Intel X520-DA1 cards on each end, hard-wired

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

S/PDIF out of my desktop’s motherboard.

Description Of Issue

Roon is extremely slow. In every possible way. Scanning has slowed down significantly since I upgraded to 1.8, searches take several minutes, and loading the home page is a 2-4 minute task as well. I will note that I have 2.8 million tracks (ripped from CD/vinyl and purchased online) that is 99% FLAC. A few other notes:
Roon memory usage now hovers around 35GB at idle. Startup takes about 25 minutes and I watch the memory usage climb to that point, then stop. At any given time there’s about 15 cores and 30GB of memory that is idle/free on my system, so it’s not being bottlenecked there. This server really doesn’t do much besides serve music to me, but it’s still abominably slow. The SSD isn’t full, so the flash isn’t being crushed by metadata. What is happening here? Is Roon simply not designed to handle this size of library?

1 Like

That has got to be the biggest library I’ve seen , 2,8 million tracks is enormous, mine is a bit under 200k

Maybe @danny can comment

Is it a new library , audio analysis could still be happening which slows stuff down

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve tried throttling audio analysis to no avail. No performance change.

If it’s possible to do so, you could try disabling some of the storage and see if it speeds up so you know if it is sheer library size or some underlying problem in 1.8 on your system.

Good point. How do I go about doing that? It’s separated into two sections within the storage tab, each one roughly equal in size.

Click on the three dots for one of them and pick disable.
Mind you even at half you are still probably in the 0.05 percentile of all libraries.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.