Roon has been stopping in the middle of a track

Description of Issue: Since around mid-June (2022), perhaps with an update, Roon has been stopping in the middle of a track with a “dialogue box” briefly appearing that says there is a performance or hardware problem (see attached screen shots).

I pulled out by back-up hard-drive and the same thing happens. On a Roon community blog I read where a Roon tech recommended the network connection should be via ethernet, so my MacBook Pro is now directly connected to the router via ethernet and still the problem persists. I greatly appreciate your help.

Roon Core Machine: MacBook Pro 13" early 2015 running Monterey (12.4) with 2.9
GHz Dual-core intel i5 and 8GB memory
Networking Gear & Setup Details: Ethernet
Connected Audio Devices: 18TB WD external hard drive and Cambridge Audio DAC
Number of Tracks in Library: 142,075
Our internet service (and the cable modem) is provided by Cox

Please see attached screen shots

The most recent episode was on 24 July at 1600 (4pm) East Coast
I have not tried using Roon since but will do so if you would like

Again, things with Roon were fine until around mid-June
That said, if an upgrade of either the MacBook Pro or the external Hard Drive would resolve the issue, I will gladly do that

I greatly appreciate your effort and expertise

In the last few months, I have the same issue recurrently.

@7NoteScale please open your own support thread using the guidance in this post.

@Mike_Dubik, you may want to try changing the DNS servers to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1.

Also, please provide specific details if the storage location of your music files, and the type of digital media you are having issues with.

Hi Martin,

Also, please provide specific details if the storage location of your music files,
– 18TB WD external hard drive

and the type of digital media you are having issues with.
– my files run the range from CD-quality FLAC and the like to DSD-256
– I am not streaming music

you may want to try changing the DNS servers to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 .
– That does not appear to be an option
– Please see the attached screen shot

I appreciate your help

By the way, love the Ukrainian blue & gold/yellow

Is this network-attached?

You can usually change DNS directly on your router. Alternatively, on your core machine, change the drop down from DHCP, and manually configure the DNS servers.

1 Like

Hi @Mike_Dubik ,

Thanks for reaching out! We’ve activated diagnostics mode for your account and looking over your logs, it appears that there is a networking issue, but there could also be a secondary issue at play.

I would first suggest that you switch from a Cable/Modem by Cox to a dedicated, modern, consumer-grade router instead and have the modem from Cox operate solely as a modem, and have the dedicated router perform the router duties.

How have you set your sleep settings for the drive? Does the drive fall asleep after a certain amount of time? Can you please try to disable any sleep features you have active on the drive as a test? Do you perform any Time Machine backups on the hard drives while you have music playing?

Have you confirmed if other zones also exhibit the playback issue? Can you please try to play to your System Output zone and verify if the same issue occurs there?

Let us know when possible, thanks!

Hi Noris,

I just started Roon up and in less than a minute it did
– at about 2:14 pm east coast time
– – it just stopped playing

“Do you perform any Time Machine backups on the hard drives while you have music playing?”
– There is no back-up via time machine happening at any time

“Can you please try to disable any sleep features you have active on the drive as a test?”
– It never appears to go to sleep

“Can you please try to play to your System Output zone and verify if the same issue occurs there?”
– I will try System Output zone later, hopefully this evening

“I would first suggest that you switch from a Cable/Modem by Cox to a dedicated, modern, consumer-grade router instead and have the modem from Cox operate solely as a modem, and have the dedicated router perform the router duties.”
– Please provide some examples of “a dedicate, modern, consumer-grade router” that would do the job

Another tech on a sep string suggested a newer laptop with more RAM
– I expect one to arrive later today

Thank you,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Can you please double-check the settings for the drive just in case?

Please let me know how this goes!

This one is tough. I’m hesitant to give you a recommendation but I can tell you that I’ve always had good success with Asus brand routers. Many others are fans of Netgear similar or similar major brands. From my own personal experience with Cox and Xfinity both, modem/router combos can be toxic. If you go the route of providing your own router, be sure you consult with Cox (if needed) to put the modem into bridge mode.

I’ll be monitoring your responses and will look forward to seeing your reply.

Thanks,
Wes

Agree with @Wes about Asus - this is the one we have and it is great, with excellent Wi-Fi range.

I have had increasing problems with songs skipping. Rebooting everything sometimes helped briefly.

My NUC was in the family room with the stereo.

It was attached to a switch/hub that then went to the modem/router via ethernet.

This is a 30 ft cable.

The NUC, Auralic G2 etc were attached to this switch/hub.

However, I have now put the NUC next to modem/router with 2 ft. Ethernet.

The G2 is still in the family room and still attached to the modem/router via that 30 ft ethernet cable, but
The hub/switch is now entirely out of the system.

Outcome: so far no song skipping.

Since the NUC is now two floors away, I use a TP-Link Plug, changed the BIOS of the NUC and can boot the NUC by voice via Alexa or by the KASA App,

Wild guess , have you tried alternative cables for both the ethernet and USB drive cables . Just for eliminations sake.

An 18Tb Drive is a monster drive for 142 k Tracks , have you tried a smaller sample of music on a smaller drive ?

“Wild guess , have you tried alternative cables for both the ethernet and USB drive cables . Just for eliminations sake.”
– No, I have not.

An 18Tb Drive is a monster drive for 142 k Tracks , have you tried a smaller sample of music on a smaller drive ?
– I have tried my back-up Drive that is 8Tb with the same result

This weekend I will try a newer MacBook Pro as my Core. It has more RAM and a solid state hard drive. Fingers will be crossed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.