Roon has lost lost control of the audio device - Ayre QX 5-Twenty DAC

After updating Roon, I now get the message “Roon has lost control of the audio device” when I try to play music on my laptop. I have been using Roon with the Roon Nucleus for about 9 months. This problem occurred once before but I was able to resolve it by simply rebooting the Nucleus. Except for that one time, the system has worked perfectly until today. Today, however, I have tried rebooting the Nucleus, the router and the entire system but I am still getting the message. Roon does see the Ayre QX 5-Twenty and shows in Settings that it is enabled and directly connected to the Nucleus. The Ayre icon shows in the music play list as the selected “zone,” altho the icon says Ayre QX-8 instead of Ayre AX 5-Twenty (which has never been an issue).

System setup:
Router to Roon Nucleus
Nucleus to Ayre QX 5-Twenty DAC
Ayre 5-Twenty to Ayre AX-7e intergrated amp
Ayre AX-7e to speakers

Roon is running Tidal. All equipment is hard wired in with AudioQuest cables. The only Wifi signal is from the router to my laptop.

Thank you.
Steve P

Hello @Steve_Piwnica,

Apologies for the delay! Our team’s queue is longer than typical at the moment, but we’re working to get back to everyone as quickly as we can.

Are you still seeing this issue on the latest build of Roon? Do other zones except for the Ayre work as expected, for example, are you able to output to the System Ouptut zone (internal speakers) on your laptop properly?

Hi Noris, no problem on any delay. Yes, still seeing the issue on the latest build. The “About” page shows that both my Mac laptop and the Nucleus have the latest version (Roon version 1.8 (build 790) stable). I just reloaded the app on my iPhone so the latest version there too. I am not totally certain on this, but I’m pretty sure this problem showed up after installing 1.8. Roon has worked perfectly for 9 months previous to installing 1.8.

Using my laptop, I can play Roon to my flatscreen that is hard wired to the system. Using my iPhone, I can play Roon directly to my iPhone no problem. But both have the message “Roon has lost control of the audio device” if I try to play to the Ayre QX 5-Twenty. I can see that Roon is trying to communicate with the Ayre, the Ayre screen first goes blank then shows three dots scrolling across the front, then goes back to the original screen: USB 9 48. In the past, I could swear that used to be USB 9 44, but I don’t know if that means anything.

Thank you,
Steve Piwnica

Hi @Steve_Piwnica

Thanks for following up! Please note the exact local time + date when this issue next occurs and the name of the track that was playing and upload your Roon Logs by using these instructions. The best way to get them over to me would be via Dropbox / Google Drive, but if you don’t have either service please let me know and I can provide alternate upload instructions.

Hi Dylan - I am unable to play any music to the Ayre QX 5-Twenty regardless of track or time. I have tried many different tracks on all three remotes, the laptop, the iPhone and the iPad. I always get the message Roon has lost control of the audio device. But I would be happy to send some logs. I don’t have Dropbox or Google Drive, so please send alternate instructions if you still want me to send some logs.
Thanks,
Steve Piwnica

Hello @Steve_Piwnica ,

Can you please upload the logs here and let us know once uploaded?
https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/external/5dHjIc9kyAC-LVTzf
Thank you!

Hi Noris - I have uploaded the zip file for the logs: “stevepiw.zip”
I’m not quite sure how this works, can you see the files or do I need to somehow “send” them?
Thanks,
Steve Piwnica

Sorry for the delay here, @Steve_Piwnica

We received the logs and they’re currently with our gear expert who is investigating this. We’ll be in touch soon!

Thank you for the update.
Steve Piwnica