Roon has stopped working on Windows 8.1 64 bit

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Latest version of Roon (just re-installed) Windows 8.1 64 bit

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet wired

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Focusrite 6i6

Description Of Issue

I was streaming to chromecast the other night, and Roon stopped. Now, each time I run Roon, before it comes up fully, I get a Windows “Roon has stopped working” dialog box, and the program exits.

Hi @Arsdivina,

Can I please request that you send me a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions? The best way to get them over would be via Dropbox / Google Drive but if you don’t have either service just let me know and I can provide alternate upload instructions. Thanks!

Here you go, and thanks! https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbxbd9rtiwy9fzq/Arsdivina%20Roon%20Logs%2016DEC19.zip?dl=0

…Steve>>>

Hi @Arsdivina,

Thanks for sending those logs over. I am not noticing any error messages pop up, I wonder if Windows Event Viewer can provide some more context here. Can you use these instructions to gather system-level logs?

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc

2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window

3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application

4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu

5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK

6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu

7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save

8. Upload to Dropbox and provide a link

Done: https://www.dropbox.com/s/whey823v675u7pf/Roon_Arsdivina_16DEC19.evtx?dl=0

…Steve>>>

Here is the screen grab of the error window: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qitzrmbuf4zbbhx/Roon%20has%20stopped%20working%2016DEC19.PNG?dl=0

Is there a safe mode key to boot up Roon? I’m afraid the problem may be in the currently playing track… but that’s a stretch. I’ve updated graphics drivers and .Net Framework 4.8 and reinstalled a new instance of Roon. I did not uninstall first though…

Looking forward to getting back to my Roon addiction.

…Steve>>>

Hi @Arsdivina,

Thanks for sending those Windows Event viewer logs over. I do see some traces related to Roon, but I can’t comment on them specifically, I will check with QA to see if they have further thoughts.

As for further troubleshooting, I do have an idea we can try, which is setting the old database aside. Can you use these instructions to do so and let me know if it helps?

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if same issue still occurs

Will do!

…Steve>>>

1 Like

OK, that worked with a full reinstall… I hope I don’t have to start from scratch though!

Thanks,

…Steve>>>

1 Like

Hi @Arsdivina,

Do you have any Roon Backups you could try restoring?

I have a regular backup, I can use that and see. Thanks!

…Steve>>>

1 Like

Looks like that fixed it! Backing up within Roon first thing… Thanks again!

…Steve>>>

1 Like

Glad to hear the issue is resolved @Arsdivina!

Spoke too soon. I may have a successful native Roon backup now - I’ll try another re-install from scratch.

…Steve>>>

That backup didn’t work. Reinstalling and starting from scratch. Still love Roon and can’t live without it…

…Steve>>>

1 Like

Well, I lost several years worth of tagging and metadata entry… Word to the wise to backup within Roon often. If you don’t want to do it again, save.

…Steve>>>

Hi @Arsdivina,

Glad to hear you’re up and running again.

You didn’t by any chance have any older backups of your database you could try restoring?

Can I restore just the database folder, or some other subset? Thanks!

…Steve>>>

Hi @Arsdivina,

When you open up a Roon Backup folder, you should be provided with multiple restore options to choose from (if you made multiple backups). Here is an example of what this looks like on my end:

Do you by any chance have multiple backups listed on your end? If so, could you try one of the older ones?