Roon + HQP + Audiostore

Trying to set up HQP with my Roon / Audiostore, connected to Oppo105 but failing. It all works fine but how do I install and use HQP? Help…

What is an audiostore?

It’s a Linux box with SSD and 3tB drive. Great little unit.

Also known as Vortexbox

Does it fit the requirements to run HQPlayer? Does it have the power to do the upsampling you want?

If not you usually want a beefy dedicated computer for HQPlayer.

Yes, it’s a brand new unit, designed to run Roon and HQP and has HQP on it but I’m not sure how to set up the HQP

HQ Player Kickstart Guide

Roon KB; HQ Player Set up in Roon

Hi Andybob
Thanks for your help. HQP is set up on my iMac, with a full license, and will play from my iMac through a Meridian Explorer2 in my study…sounds great. However, getting things to work in my lounge is proving more difficult. I’m controlling Roon from my iPad and Roon seems to be talking to HQP on the iMac, at least Roon selects the track and seems to control the volume control in HQP but I get no sound.
Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong? In Roon, it’s showing a broken link symbol.
Bob

You need to tell HQPlayer to accept connections over the LAN? From hazy memory it is a box in the top right of the screen

I understand your Roon Core is on the Audiostore/VortexBox and HQP is on an iMac ?

The way that Roon/HQP integration works is that HQP takes over all responsibility for distributing the sound. Roon sends the audio signal to HQP and then you have to tell HQP where to send it.

There was some discussion about making HQP like an effects loop and bringing the audio back into Roon to distribute but nothing is likely to happen. Roon now has its own DSP so there’s less incentive to further develop the HQP integration. Also when I mean discussion I mean I asked about it, Brian thought there were better ways of doing it than I’d suggested and Jussi mused that it might reduce SQ (which is like Grover Norquist musing that something might increase taxes).

So if you want to play through HQP on the iMac and into the Oppo in your lounge than you will have to connect the iMac to the Oppo in a way that HQP understands. That could be a direct connection from the iMac to the Oppo, or a network connection from the iMac to a network device that connects to the Oppo.

HQP has a network device program called a Network Audio Daemon that runs on a range of small computing devices. A device running the daemon is called a Network Audio Adaptor (NAA). An NAA is to HQP as Roon Bridge is to Roon.

Sonore includes an NAA in the software for the various rendu products or the SonicOrbiter SE., or you can roll your own using the downloads here. I’ve used a Raspberry Pi, BeagleBoard Black and a CuBox as NAAs and been happy with each, but the microRendu is better than all of them (haven’t tried the ultraRendu).

Hope that helps, let me know if I’ve got your topology wrong, or if you have other queries.

Hi Andybob
Thanks so much for your help. Yes, my music is stored on the Audiostore, with Roon, which is connected to the Oppo205 by USB. Both in the lounge and controlled by an iPad. The HQP is on an iMac in my study.

Should HQP send the music to the Oppo or to the Audiostore?

I must look up the Roon DSP change. Is this similar to HQP in sending to DAC upsampled data?

Regards
Bob

Hi Bob,

HQP will need to send music to the Oppo, either by a direct connection (USB) from the iMac, or over the network via an NAA connected to the Oppo.

The Roon DSP Engine does upsampling and a whole lot more.