Roon + HQP vs. Audioirvana : Signal quality question

Version HQPlayerEmbedded = 4.14.0

Yes but how did you install it?

There are different ways to install Embedded, all have same version number.

So version number alone doesn’t answer the original question I asked.

This is important to know because HQP OS has UPnP renderer built-in. The others need some additional Linux code.

Hence my original query: “Which version of Embedded? The USB bootable version or you installed on Linux Ubuntu or Debian?”

Did you install from here:
https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/images/

Or from here:
https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/bionic/

Or from here:
https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/buster/

And try RoPieee XL or DietPi in parallel and report back if you can get that to work as UPnP renderer with Audirvana.

I installed Ubuntu, from bionic subdirectory.

I am going to retry with HQP OS , thanks for pointing/correcting me in the right direction.

Dirk

With this method, do this:

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils

sudo apt-get -y install libglib2.0-0 libflac8 libasound2 libasound2-data libgomp1

sudo apt-get -y install rygel

With this method, you don’t need to do anything extra for UPnP to work. It should work ‘out of the box’. Burn the image to USB stick using Etcher and boot from USB.

But also remember some additional steps I mentioned some days ago:

These should also appear there if you do “sudo apt install -f” after installing hqplayerd.

Are you on Ubuntu Desktop or Ubuntu Server? You should use Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS and select on standard utilities and ssh server from the package group selection. Then configure network interfaces through /etc/network/interfaces

Ubuntu Desktop doesn’t work well with HQPlayer Embedded, unless you disable the system service and instead launch the hqplayerd inside user session after logging in. This is related to differences how network configuration works between Desktop and Server.

1 Like

I use Desktop 18.04 LTS. I don’t even need to login on boot, for HQPe and Roon Server to load. These are both ready for me within 30 seconds of turning the machine on. No keyboard/monitor/mouse required.

Haven’t had any issues for 6+ months but maybe that’s extreme luck.

Only reason I keep Desktop instead of Server version, is sometimes I use that machine for other things (including dual boot with Win10 Pro) with keyboard/monitor/mouse.

It may work if you configure network through /etc/network/interfaces, but for various other cases you have trouble because network configuration is hooked to the desktop environment and hqplayerd is scheduled to start at boot time before the desktop environment.

Desktop version is just unnecessary bloat with all the graphical things. So I use Ubuntu Server with only ssh server and hqplayerd running. No graphical stuff installed at all. On boot it is on bare text console similar to HQPlayer OS.

1 Like

Interesting. I don’t recall doing anything special here (I’m not smart enough to!). I’ll just consider myself lucky then and hope it keeps working fine. I hope you didn’t just jinx me !

Agreed, I would always recommend others to do this or HQP OS. cc: @anon90297517

Can you explain a little more about HQPlayer embedded in Linux? Can you make it? Or equipment to buy?

You can do a free trial, running it from USB stick. It won’t change your PC’s Windows installation

What is the CPU model of your most powerful PC ?

Thank you so much for reply! I have mac mini m2 with 16g ram and also have media PC with AMD processor.

You can’t run HQP OS (bootable embedded) on the M2 Mac

But possibly on the AMD - what is the exact model CPU