Roon import time is not preserved for certain albums during Roon migration

Roon Core Machine

M1 MacBook Pro 14 inch 16G mem
MacOS 12.3

Number of Tracks in Library

2496 tracks (1092 in local drive, 126 on home NAS and the rest on Tidal)

Description of Issue

I’m moving Roon from a 2018 MacBook Pro 13inch (mbp13) to the machine (mbp14) mentioned above. I found two albums are shown as the lastest ( top two ) if I chose Date Added in Albums under My Library in mbp14. This indicated they were the newest imported albums, but they were not. Hence the order in Albums were broken. And I can’t find a decent way to fix it.

Here what I do during the migration:

1. Update Roon to the latest and backup Roon on mbp13 when no import happens.
  2. Copy 1052 tracks from ~/Download/folderA on mbp13 to mbp14 in the same folder.
  3. Install Roon on mbp14, restore the backup and login.
  4. Find 40 tracks is in another folder under ~/Music of mbp13.
  5. Copy this 40 tracks to mbp 14 under ~/Documents/Roon/RoonLib/folderB and add ~/Documents/Roon/RoonLib/ to the import folder.
  6. Everything seems good.

Then the problem occurs when I do the following.
7. Shutdown Roon
8. Remove the folder from the import folder of that 1052 tracks. Move that folderA to ~/Documents/Roon/RoonLib/ and relaunch Roon. As ~/Documents/Roon/RoonLib/ is in the import folder list, Roon starts to importing 1052 tracks back to the library.
9. After that two ablums ( belongs to 1052 tracks ) are showing at the top of Albums under My Library if choosing Date Added.

I’m very frustrated and did a few things trying to fix.

a. I confirmed the import settings is set to Roon import timestamp.
b. I tried to log out and restore the backup with import folder modified. Still the same two albums.
c. I even logged out, copy the 1052 tracks from mbp13 again, restore the backup.
d. I also logged in mbp13 to confirm the position, do another back and do step c again. Still, the same two albums shows on top.

I ended up think the Roon import time of these two albums was not preserved during the backup. So finally, as a workaround, I selected the metadata preference of these two albums. In Album Editor, I changed the track import date to prefer file creation date. As I imported them right after the creation earlier this year, their position in Albums under My Library is finally the same as the old ones on mbp13.

However, this is very frustrating. I want Roon to behave consistently for each album. How can I fix this?

Hey @Wentao_Li,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and I’m sorry to hear you’re running into issues with album dates.

If possible, could you share a timestamp of the next time you come across this issue? That way, we can enable diagnostics on your account and take a deeper look into what might be going on.

We’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

1 Like

Thanks, Benjamin. I can try restoring the backup again this weekend in CST. Will I lost the latest playlist change and history after the restoring. If this is the case, I’ll backup my current database first.

1 Like

Hey @Wentao_Li,

Yes, please make sure to create a backup of your most recent database to avoid losing any newly added information.

If possible, could you share a timestamp for the next time you encounter this issue? That way, we can enable diagnostics on your account and take a deeper look into what might be happening.

Sorry, I didn’t get a chance to do the test recently. I’ll perform the test on Sept 10th or 11th CST (GMT +8). I’ll share the timestamp when completed.

1 Like

Hi benjamin,

I’ve done my test again and here’s the bad news (with detailed steps).

1. On MBP 14, update from Roon 1.8 build 1021 to 1105 at ~ 9:30PM Sept 11th, CST
  2. Backup my current database, login out and unauthorize MBP 14
  3. Login in MBP 13 and update Roon from Roon 1.8 build 1021 to 1105
  4. Backup the roon database from MBP13 again with the correct album order at ~ 10:20PM
  5. Restore it to MBP 14 and update the local lib folder to ~/Documents/Roon/RoonLib
  6. Roon starts to import the local tracks and the same two albums shown at the top of the Album view, if sorted by Date added.

One new album is added to my NAS in last two weeks. Surprisingly, Roon thinks the same two albums are added after this album too. It seems these two are always the newest.

This is not going anywhere unless you give me something new from your backend diagnostics.

Hey @Wentao_Li,

Thanks for the information. Correcting the metadata information may be your best bet in this case. Do you by chance have any specific dates aligned with the two albums? That way we can test to see if we can achieve the dates you’re looking for?

Please upload the two albums in question here so our team can take another look :+1:

Thank you for the quick response.

I understand that correcting the metadata is theoretically the best approach. My understanding is the date added for an album is stored in Roon database. How can I update/correct it. If you’re asking the album track files, let me upload it.

I updated 3 tracks for each albums along with the jpg and txt files in the same folder. Please take a look.

Hey @Wentao_Li,

Thank you for submitting the tracks. While our team investigates them, please update to the latest Roon build and let me know if you are still running into the same issue :+1:

Updated to Roon 2.0. Same issue. Waiting for your investigation results.

Hey @Wentao_Li,

You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

After further investigation, our team was not able to come to any conclusion about what might be causing this discrepancy with the selected albums. We’ll certainly continue to look into this, but for now, manually editing the metadata will be your best approach for correcting such hiccups.

Let me know if you have any questions :+1:

Ok. I’ll stay with the current setup.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.