Roon import time is not preserved for certain albums during Roon migration

Roon Core Machine

M1 MacBook Pro 14 inch 16G mem
MacOS 12.3

Number of Tracks in Library

2496 tracks (1092 in local drive, 126 on home NAS and the rest on Tidal)

Description of Issue

I’m moving Roon from a 2018 MacBook Pro 13inch (mbp13) to the machine (mbp14) mentioned above. I found two albums are shown as the lastest ( top two ) if I chose Date Added in Albums under My Library in mbp14. This indicated they were the newest imported albums, but they were not. Hence the order in Albums were broken. And I can’t find a decent way to fix it.

Here what I do during the migration:

1. Update Roon to the latest and backup Roon on mbp13 when no import happens.
  2. Copy 1052 tracks from ~/Download/folderA on mbp13 to mbp14 in the same folder.
  3. Install Roon on mbp14, restore the backup and login.
  4. Find 40 tracks is in another folder under ~/Music of mbp13.
  5. Copy this 40 tracks to mbp 14 under ~/Documents/Roon/RoonLib/folderB and add ~/Documents/Roon/RoonLib/ to the import folder.
  6. Everything seems good.

Then the problem occurs when I do the following.
7. Shutdown Roon
8. Remove the folder from the import folder of that 1052 tracks. Move that folderA to ~/Documents/Roon/RoonLib/ and relaunch Roon. As ~/Documents/Roon/RoonLib/ is in the import folder list, Roon starts to importing 1052 tracks back to the library.
9. After that two ablums ( belongs to 1052 tracks ) are showing at the top of Albums under My Library if choosing Date Added.

I’m very frustrated and did a few things trying to fix.

a. I confirmed the import settings is set to Roon import timestamp.
b. I tried to log out and restore the backup with import folder modified. Still the same two albums.
c. I even logged out, copy the 1052 tracks from mbp13 again, restore the backup.
d. I also logged in mbp13 to confirm the position, do another back and do step c again. Still, the same two albums shows on top.

I ended up think the Roon import time of these two albums was not preserved during the backup. So finally, as a workaround, I selected the metadata preference of these two albums. In Album Editor, I changed the track import date to prefer file creation date. As I imported them right after the creation earlier this year, their position in Albums under My Library is finally the same as the old ones on mbp13.

However, this is very frustrating. I want Roon to behave consistently for each album. How can I fix this?

Hey @Wentao_Li,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and I’m sorry to hear you’re running into issues with album dates.

If possible, could you share a timestamp of the next time you come across this issue? That way, we can enable diagnostics on your account and take a deeper look into what might be going on.

We’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

1 Like