Roon imports all albums a second time with release 1.4 build 306

@support,

I have just upgraded to build 306, and Roon re-imported all my albums.
Can you please tell me how to clean this up or re-do the database.

Regards
Colin

Hello Colin,

I noticed this with a few albums, however, it only happens if I sort by “Most Played”. if I select “Sorted by Artist” there are no duplications. I don’t know if this is the same problem as yours.

Kind regards,

Simon

Hi @Colin_Elven ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, both are very appreciated!

To help aide in our understanding of this behavior you are experiencing may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following:

• A brief but accurate description of your current setup so we have a better sense of the gear you are working with.

• In regard to this issue, are you now seeing duplicates of your content in Roon?

-Eric

Hi Eric

When I restarted my roon core, the upgrade was applied, and Roon re-imported my entire collection, which took about 30-40 minutes, I watched the progress. After the import, I observed the following album stats in the “Overview” screen:

Before the upgrade, the stats obove were approximately half those values, and seem to be reported more correctly in this view:

When I browse all the albums in the album view, there appears to be no obvious duplicates going by the album covers, but the count tells me otherwise.

I have Roon Core and and Roon Ready residing on a single Antipodes Server (DS-GT) connected directly via ethernet cable to my router, with a high performance fiber connection. Roon is playing to an T&A DAC 8 DSD via USB, and then via analogue connection to a Plinius Integrated amp. Here is an image of the sound path:

I dont use the DSP.

One other observation is that since the upgrade, Roon seems to be a lot faster browsing both library views and Tidal views. I dont know if this is a by product of the re-import that occured or other enhancements in the upgrade.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Regards
Colin

Thank you for touching base with me @Colin_Elven, the insight is appreciated!

Continuing forward, I am going to be enabling diagnostics on your account so we can have a closer look into this behavior you’ve reported to us. What this action will do is the next time the application is launched on your core machine a diagnostics report containing a set of Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded to our servers. I will confirm when it has been received so you know we have it.

In the meantime, would you please provide me with the following:

• Do you have “show hidden tracks and albums” enabled (path: “settings” > “general”)?

• Screenshots of…

• Your “storage” tab in Roon.
    • The “cleanup library” window (path: “settings” > “Library” > “Library maintenance”)

-Eric

Hi Eric, in response to your requests:
I have enabled “show hidden tracks and albums” now, and can see all the duplicate albums. The album counts also match now “1997” across both the album display and the overview display.

Screenshots as follows:
Storage tab

Cleanup window

Hi @Colin_Elven — Thank you for that follow and providing the requested feedback!

I have been keeping an eye on our servers throughout the weekend and it looks like the mentioned diagnostics report from my previous has not arrived yet. In light of this I have re-enable this feature on your account and just as a quick reminder, the report should make it to our servers once the application is active on the core machine. I will continue to keep an eye out.

Additionally, in looking at the screenshot of your storage tab I am noticing the following:

The “default” music folder contains “10899” tracks:
54 AM

The total number of tracks in the “flac”, “mp3”, “DSD”, and “aiff” folders is “10899” tracks:
46 AM

Is it possible your “default music folder”(screenshot #1) is the same music folder being referenced in the file paths of your other watch folders?

antipodes > ::drive icon:: > storage > music

-Eric

Yes I am sure it is the same folder, but it has always been setup this way, there has been no changes to the music location settings. The only change has been the upgrade to the latest release!

Colin

Thank you for verifying that information for my @Colin_Elven, very appreciated!

Continuing forward, would you kindly please perform the following to see if we can trigger a change in behavior with your setup:

• Before anything please make a backup of your current DB.

• After your backup has been made please “disable” the “music folder” in Roon.

• After the “music” folder has been temporarily disabled please confirm that your “edits” are still in place and nothing has changed.

-Eric

PS: I checked our serves again this morning for the diagnostics report and it still has not been received. I have seen this behavior before when someone accidentally has two cores running at once in their setup, is it possible another machine is also acting as a Roon core?

Hi Eric
I have taken a backup.
I disabled the music folder, and the result was the duplicate albums are no longer visible, when I have “Display hidden files” turned on. The number in the library cleanup section have also changed, see screenshot:

In the recent past I have had another core running, but currently there is only the one main core and roon ready running on the Antipodes server. I restarted the server just in case there was any configuration remaining to be cleaned up from the time I had the other core active.

Hope this helps
Regards
Colin

Hi @Colin_Elven ----- Thank you for the follow up and my apologies for the slow response on my end. I wanted to check in with you and see how things have been holding up since the suggested adjustment had been made.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback!
-Eric

Hi Eric, things here seem to be fine, however what do I do with the 26355 files that have been disabled?
I assume the cleanup action would not physically delete the files from the storage location, but only remove their roon database record? Please confirm.

Hi @Colin_Elven ---- Thank you for the update! Glad to hear things have been fine since making the mentioned adjustment. You are correct, the clean up action will not physically delete any files but rather just their Roon DB record. Our CTO Brian gives a very excellent description of this feature and it’s use here:

I think of “Clean up Library” as a thing that should be used with a goal in mind. It’s not designed to be a form of periodic maintenance. I don’t think I’ve ever used it on my “real life” collection.

Sometimes it’s used to help Roon “forget” about bad edits you’ve made, especially if you’ve gotten some content into a hopeless state using “merge albums” or “identify album”. You can move the files outside of Roon’s view, use “clean up” to tell Roon forget about those edits, then move them back and start from a clean state with those files.

It’s also useful to clean things up after accidentally allowing Roon to see multiple copies of your library at the same time. This sometimes happens by accident when migrating from iTunes to directory storage, when migrating your install between machines, when installing a new NAS, etc.

-Eric