Yamaha RX-A2030 ethernet
RPi 2- Hifiberry DAC Pro wifi
RPi 2 - Allo Boss wifi
Logitech Boom wifi
Pixel 4A wifi

Library Size

Approx 160,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Core reports all tracks acquired but crashes soon after loading. Crashes playing radio.
Running firewalls no effect, Windows will not upgrade .Net, “newer version installed”
Graphics driver updated, has no effect.

Roon log link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vQIhh9JhN7aibTIIpy5OCiT2emtWg_0H/view?usp=sharing

Hi @Peter_Emrich, I don’t have access to that link, unfortunately. Can you try changing the permissions and re-share?

Oops, try this:
[https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vQIhh9JhN7aibTIIpy5OCiT2emtWg_0H/view?usp=sharings]

Thanks, @Peter_Emrich. I think we’ll need a bit more info here, can you send us Event Viewer logs too?

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save

As requested event viewer:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RgZHFPj16BFpd-rL_YkHCovCkmlmrdWJ/view?usp=sharing

Hi @Peter_Emrich, what kind of GPU does your device use? Can you try uninstalling the driver completely and reinstall it from the manufacturer’s site? The issue we are seeing here is similar to ones we’ve seen in the past where the GPU driver wasn’t working properly.

Do you have any overlay like MSI Afterburner running?

Intel HD Graphics 4000. I did not uninstall the existing driver but Wednesday I did download and run the latest Intel driver update and confirmed it was installed . I don’t think there are any overlays, this is not a gaming or video machine.
I reinstalled the video driver today and no improvement. I did start Roon with Task Manager running and you can see heavy CPU and memory use for about 30 seconds, then immediately before the crash the memory use maxes. FWIW.
Do you think I should try a more reasonable library size, <2T ?

Hi @Peter_Emrich,

Yeah, I’d definitely give that a go. The error that I’m seeing in Event Viewer is kind of generic and we’ve seen it steam from a number of causes (though GPU-related problems seem to be the most common). If you can try with a smaller portion of the library definitely let us know how that goes.

Immediate success. Roon opened promptly, I started a radio station for a few minutes to let the library build then selected an album and its playing fine. Roon has only added 3% of the tracks but so far so good.

Thanks for the update, @Peter_Emrich. The size of the library was likely pushing the limits of what your system was able to handle. Some additional RAM might help, but the CPU might also need upgrading if the library is going to continue growing larger.

I’d say even a thin slice of my library exceeds what Roon needs. Roon fails at about 70000 tracks. At 20,000 tracks Roon started and browsed fast, at 70,000 tracks Roon took about 80 seconds of white screen loading before it crashed. Right now I have a minimalist library of 2600 albums with 15000 tracks. Works great! I’ll use this to check out usability, DSP, etc.

For Roon to be viable for me it needs to handle more than 170,000 tracks, opening and browsing quickly. Is that possible? What hardware is required for a great experience? If possible I’d prefer a low power dedicated probably DIY server. But whatever, it must work reliably well.
Thanks

Hi @Peter_Emrich, we have some information about what we recommend (including for larger libraries) here in our Help Center:

Hi Dylan,
The link says:

That’s kind of vague. How much RAM is plenty? What is powerful? What is a “similarly powerful … device”?
I can buy into a dedicated Roon OS device, I would prefer to build my own but if I cannot find specs, how do I know the investment will even satisfy the needs?
Meanwhile I continue to learn the features of Roon and enjoy good music. My trial is about up and I still have no idea how I would run Roon.

Hi @Peter_Emrich, if you’re interested in going the ROCK route, we have info here:

We recommend the NUC10i7FNH with 8GB RAM and 128GB (or more) M.2 SSD for large libraries (12k+ albums) or heavy DSP use.