Roon installation on headless pc

It’s now working! I reinstalled the os, moving from server 2012r2 to windows 10. Is roonserver compatible with server 2012r2?

Thanks for everyone’s help!

Pleased to hear it !

Roonserver is compatible with Server 2012r2 but it is not a supported OS so the normal levels of assistance the Roon devs can provide aren’t necessarily available.

I am using Server 2012r2 and searching for that will bring up some threads about configuring it in Roon, particularly with AO.

Server 2012r2 is not supplied with media streaming. It has to be added later by downloading the Media Pack (wsemp.exe) from microsoft. You also have to enable the Experience feature in Server management.

Hope you are enjoying couch Roon with no PC !

@mike Hi Mike, thank you for your mail and the suggestion that I can reach you through here. I want to give RoonServer a try and stream to HQPlayer.
HQPlayer is on a dedicated windows server 2012 (not R2), connected through USB to a Lampizator DAC. I wanted to install RoonServer on an obsolete MacMini and wire it to the same switch that the other pc is running on. My goal is to avoid as less network traffic as possible.
Now I read that RoonServer is installable on the windows server without OpenGL. Would that be a better option? I guess, once Roon loaded the data from the NAS it streams to HQP directly without using network if both are on the same machine. Correct?
As the whole idea of using a dedicated machine for HQP is to use as little processes as needed (the machine is optimized by AO) would using RoonServer on the same machine degrade the SQ in comparison with using RoonServer on a dedicated macmini?
Thanks if you could clear that up.

Hi Johan,
Mike is at CES so may be a little delayed in responding.

Although RoonServer doesn’t require OpenGL a user of Windows Server 2012 R1 did report difficulties running Roon. Upgrading to R2 and installing the Media Pack resolved the issue. Windows Server is not officially supported but there are a number of users (including me) running Server2012R2 with Audiophile Optimizer in minimal server mode.

If run on the same machine RoonServer will send packets to localhost for HQP, which I understand do not go through the router. This would be the most minimal network traffic model (NAS - router - Server).

If you are concerned about processing load in a combined RoonServer/HQP Server affecting SQ you might consider using an NAA between the Server and your DAC. That would involve some additional Ethernet traffic (NAS - router - Server - router - NAA) but the NAA should render into USB with less noise than the Server.

I run RoonServer and HQP together on a BRIX under Windows 2012R2 (click on avatar for details) and use a Raspberry Pi NAA. I’m very happy with the sound and have not had any Ethernet issues.

RoonServer should run nicely on your Mac Mini and you can point it at HQP on your Server (remember to tell HQP to listen on the network with the new end button on the HQP toolbar “allow control from network” when you do this). That would see some increase in network traffic (NAS - router - Mini - router - Server).

Hello andybob,
thank you very much for your documented reply.
I will first try out the macmini option. Seems the less stressful to try out.
I keep you informed about the progress I make in this.

Thanks

One additional point you probably already know Johan. You will need at least one Remote (tablet or computer) on the same network to configure RoonServer on the Mini. The audio stream won’t go through that Remote (unless you send it to a private zone on the Remote), it will just send control signals to the Mini.

Hi Andybob,
Exactly why I am considering this option. I have a Samsung Tab-S, that will do the job I guess.
Thanks

This weekend I installed RoonServer on a dedicated MacMini that streams to HQPlayer on a dedicated windows server 2012 PC (what a luxuary I realise…). Works fine, however sometimes after playing and choosing another album or song the connection with Hqplayer is gone. The only thing that really works is restarting the Roonserver. I noticed that you have to take your time when you switching songs, especially when the new song is in a different format.
Because loosing connection several times I wanted to install RoonServer on the windowsserver machine… No luck. Installation goes well, I can choose my NAS, the NAS is loading the songs, but than nothing happens. So I returned to my original macmini/windowsserver 2012 combination. Yesterday evening it went very well and I didn’t have any problem in switching songs.
Does anyone recognise this connection failure between RoonServer and HQPlayer when switching songs?

Hi Johan,

Connection difficulties with Roon and HQ Player have been experienced by many and there is a partial fix on the way which ought to solve the changing format problems. I say partial because timing issues arising with Tidal content is proving a special case and (at least for me) the transport controls may still disconnect when using Tidal.

In the meantime, rather than restart RoonServer or HQ Player, Brian has provided a neat connection workaround icon within the Volume icon in the footer bar. If you experience a disconnect then clicking on that icon should return RoonServer and HQ Player to their original states so that you can recommence playback without having to restart either program. You will find this in Build 88.

This should not be regarded as an acceptable final fix. It is a workaround to avoid us having to restart programs while the underlying issues are ironed out.z

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for your quick answer.
The icon sounds like a good solution. I didn’t notice Brian’s icon, but I might have easily overlooked it.
I can’t check the build at the moment, but I guess the workaround is in the latest download for RoonServer… I check tonight. I don’t have a connection with Tidal yet. I will try that once I am a bit more familiar with Roon and all its options. Good to know that the problem is recognised and that Roon, and probably Jussi as well, is working on it.