Roon IOS App Crashes on v13.4.1 Iphone X 256gb

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK 1.7 build 528

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ASUS AC-86U for wireless to phone. Ethernet 1gb to ROCK core

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

HDMI from ROCK Core to Marantz SR6011 for 5.1, USB to Stello U2 USB to XLR Digital (192khz/32bit)

Description Of Issue

Roon IOS App on iPhone keeps crashing continuously. App has been removed and reinstalled, phone restarted and network on the phone reset. no apps in the background, plenty of storage on the phone.
Roon app keeps crashing on the iPhone X without even using the app, just by opening it and wait 20 or 30 seconds. ipad pro 2018 occasionally crashes and iphone 6s not crashing at all.
Unable to use app on my phone

Hi @Luca_Lo_Castro,

I have a few questions to begin troubleshooting:

1. What versions of iOS are your devices running?
  2. Does it crash on a specific page? Do you see anything immediately before the crash occurs?
  3. Can you please let me know the time + date of the next crash for both devices? Be sure to specify which device next to the timestamp.
  4. Does performing an app uninstall, reboot phone, reinstall have any effect?

Hi Noris,

Please see below:

1. IOS 13.4.1

2. No it crashes on any page. When the IOS app starts and load the landing page I can see flickering going on bottom part of the app for 1 sec, where the play button and volume icons are.

3. iPhone X 256gb crashed at 09:33:20 BST on 21 April 2020.
    iPhone X 256gb crashed at 09:35:25 BST on 21 April 2020.
    No crashes on iPad Pro yet

4. I tried to reboot The phone, uninstall app, with no effect.

Hi @Luca_Lo_Castro,

Thanks for letting me know this timestamp. I have enabled diagnostics mode on your iPhone and what this should do is automatically upload a log set to our servers for analysis. Can you please try opening up the iPhone app a few times and let it crash? Once you have done so, please let me know here and I can check to see if the logs were delivered.

Please as 23 April 2020 below are the latest crashes with time stamp

20:11:10 BST

20:25:35 BST

20:26:35 BST

20:31:05 BST

20:33:05 BST

updated iPhone and iPad Pro 2018 to the latest IOS Roon App Remote 1.7 (build 536)
Keeps crashing on iPhone 21:21:35 BST and 21:24:35 BST
New Crash on iPad Pro, 21:25:10. BST

Hi @Luca_Lo_Castro,

Thanks for letting me know those timestamps. I can confirm that logs from your iPhone have arrived and additionally I’ve enabled diagnostics on your iPad.

I am looking through your iPhone logs and it looks like you are getting an unmanaged crash (this is a crash with no info written to Roon logs).

When your iPhone is in this state of constant crashing, could you please try to enable Airplane Mode on it and turn the WiFi back on (as in only WiFi is active and LTE/Cellular is turned off). Does that help stop the crashing?

Hi,

iPhone in airplane mode is On and WiFi is On
As 24 April 2020 keeps crashing at
10:25:20 BST
10:28:09 BST

Hi there, just a thought. I know and have had the issue. Here is what helped me.

Restart your iPhone. I know this sounds too simple - but it has helped me.

Hi @Luca_Lo_Castro,

Thanks for testing with Airplane mode + WiFi and sorry to hear that this hasn’t helped.

I wonder if something in the ROCK database might be causing this behavior, could you please try temporarily setting up a fresh database to verify if this stops the crashes?

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in ROCK’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder
  • Verify if the problematic behavior continues on your iPhone

Hi Noris, I think starting a new db is not something I am very keen on to undertake. Especially with an issue mainly on only one device.
I have run some diagnostic in my router as I had also noticed music being interrupted when I was playing it in the RoonKitchen. I started to see that there was a network issue in one of the Roon Linux devices. Specifically the Raspberry Pi4 running with the onboard Wifi. I have swapped it with an Odroid C2 board and so far all afternoon have not had any crash on the iPhone.
I will post a full assessment in 24hrs to make sure everything is stable.

1 Like

IOS App has been more stable since I took the RP4 off the network. I had a couple of more crashes and I have reset the network settings on the iPhone. After the network reset no more crashes. If anyone has a similar issue, please try resetting the network settings first.

On the iPhone navigate to:
Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings

Please I am happy to resolve this

1 Like

Hi @Luca_Lo_Castro,

Glad to hear that resetting the network settings on the iPhone resolved this issue!
If this behavior re-occurs please do let us know, but hopefully the network reset resolved it.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.