Roon iOS app response time?

There is a setting to “keep screen awake” which should help.

Once connected Roon is if anything faster than iPeng for me but it doesn’t stay connected as well which I think (and I could be wrong) be connected to the .NET framework Roon is written in to allow interoperability with Windows, Android, Apple and Linux.

I think Microsoft have bought the .NET program that works on IOS so there is a good chance things may improve. You do get used to it pretty quickly though and Roon (IMHO) is just so much better than any alternative.

I wouldn’t worry too much about where you post a thread, there are legions of moderators to move them if necessary.

SJB

1 Like

In my experience, WiFi quality is a very important factor. No extra hops/extenders and 80211.ac on both Router/AP and device make a huge difference. My iPhone consistently reconnects in <1 sec, from dead in the background to fully loaded and operational.

Can you explain the function of that switch “keep screen avlive” on an iPad ?

As I understand it it stops the iPad from going to sleep and so the app once it’s in the foreground will be more or less immediately responsive.
So the room interface screen stays active all the time.

SJB

If that is the intention, then there is a bug in that function. I hope someone from Roon can confirm.
Then it’s just to wait until fixed. I’m in no hurry as long as it’s on the roadmap.

I think there may be a misunderstanding of how the keep screen awake works to work. It stops the ipad going to sleep when Roon is in the foreground, so the screen is always on showing Roon and of course the connection to the core remains so Roon is always ready.

However once you put Roon into the background by using another app then the keep screen awake doesn’t do anything and Roon will disconnect from the core. See the post from Brian in this thread.

1 Like

Thanks. Then the question is if Roon can add a setting for keep avlive in back ground ? Or maybe Apple does not allow such functionality ?

Also are there any plans to add some simple Roon functions like play, stop, next track to iOS widgets?
(That would violate the philosophy of uniform interface on all platforms).

@support Hi Can you guys read this small thread and take some time to answer what influence response time from an iOS device. As well any plans to add widgets ?

Also if you could or would or any plan to, add support similar as when using GPS app, that even if you switch to another app, that Roon will still be active (and use a lot of battery :slight_smile: ) If that will solve this issue with slow response time, as I suppose it’s not a issue related to only a few.

(Just to be clear: I’m taking about the app startup time and be able to establish contact with server not the time it takes from press play to music flows).

Further I occasionally with the Roon app active on my iOS device, loose contact for a second or five. What is the possible reason / explanation behind this behavior.

Can even my Windows server with RAID spinning disks be an issue ?

My Roon installation is on a SonicTransporter i5, MicroRendu if it’s matters. All wired.

The new update to Roon 1.4 seems to have resolved this issue, at least for me.
Now when I change apps on my iPad/iPhone, and switch back to the Roon app, it is very fast and does not show the “Reconnecting” message. And of course the fact that an iOS device can now be a Roon endpoint makes Roon 1.4 a must-have upgrade for iOS users (but you need iOS 11 to run it).

Thanks
I will check later. Have had my Roon crash for two weeks now. Xmas without music :slight_smile:

Well, not so sure. I can’t upload videos, but I’m using 11 seconds to get Roon to show up on a iPhone 6

Maybe a bit faster on an iPad Air 2 that I’m using normally.
I see if I’m able to do the same exercise on the iPad.

Well my friends I just find out a solution for this.
It may not suit to everyone. It may not work for every situation. But I find it really convenient.

Roon iOS goes to sleep because nothing tells it to stay awake. What will tell iOS to stay awake? An app which is playing something.

So one has to play Roon on the particular device in order for the device to stay awake. You begin to guess?

When I play music in my Lumin device for example. And if I group my Lumin with my iPhone and/or my iPad and set volume in my iPhone/iPad to zero. My iPhone and/or my iPad will consider Roon as playing something and then Roon app will not go to sleep in the 2 iOS devices!

Not convenient because of battery drain maybe (but it is not as energy consuming as what I may thought). Not convenient because not every device can be grouped with any device in Roon. But if you find the best grouping devices with an iOS device (eg 2 RAAT devices). This will work!

And as a bonus you will always have the nice iOS playing now notification in the lock screen, hehe!!

I am very happy I found it by myself !!!
Cheers

1 Like

I am playing via rasperry(usb)
Control via ipad
If i switch to another app on ipad and back again within some seconds - roon-app on ios is available immediately

If i switch to another ios-app for about 1 minute or longer and then back to roon-app (which is still started)
I get this screen for about 1-2 seconds

So there should be a timer-variable to let the roon app be alive for maybe 30 minutes and not 1 minute

I do not know the “be alive value” for an ios-app, but maybe, the value can be customized to a bigger/longer value - if such a value exists. (Maybe an ios-setting - i do not know)

I believe this is controlled by iOS not the app and is not configurable. Additionally, Roon is not a native iOS app.

I have a iPad that is always plugged in and despite this iOS power savings still unloads or sleeps apps not in the fore.

1 Like

Can you explain this grouping function?

Agreed , I have 2 iPads , a mini and a pro both exhibit this behavior, the Pro is significantly quicker coming back to life as you would expect

Somewhere @danny comments on this , no idea where though.

This is also the same on Android devices and varies wildly depending on how the manufacturer has tweaked the battery management features and the app used. I think Danny mentioned it’s also down to memory. Some devices are more aggressive than others it seems. It’s all so they can boast about battery life.

However certain apps seem to maintain being alive and connected when they are used in background and keep alive if they are used on lock screen. It’s annoying that it’s not consistent behaviour. The Naim app I use does appears to be always connected and alive when brought back . So maybe it’s something Roon is doing to?

Simon I had never noticed this on my iPad Pro (Android phone user mainly and have 0 issue as all battery management turned off for Roon) but while setting up and changing DSP settings on to HifiBerry Pi streamers I noticed that it kept shutting down and reopening almost constantly.
It was driving me crazy by the end of the setup. I guess I don’t normally notice it on the iPad as I normally use it for focus based searching and then put it back down.

Is this the expected behavior? It’s a bit like I used to get from my Android phones circa 2019.

Maybe my usage during setup just kept going over the time where it was getting shut down.

Mike

Does it on my Pixel 4 all the time if it’s left for a while in background. It’s very annoying. I have all battery management off to makes no difference.

Ok thanks for clarifying. I don’t see it at all on my OnePlus 8, so I suppose I should be thankful.

I was surprised at the iPad experience when left for 2 minutes or so.

Mike