Roon iOS improvements in Build 806

In case others haven’t noticed, the latest update appears to have fixed two of the three most irritating or nonstandard misbehaviors (at least to me) in iOS.

First, when you scroll through a screen (such as the list of albums you’ve added lately), and then select an album, Roon now remembers where you were on the page from which you came — called “persistent scrolling.” This was maddening, since you could scroll 3/4 through a list, only to select an album and then be returned to the top of the list.

Second, iOS now supports swiping right and left to go back or forward a page. It’s not entirely iOS-compliant: When swiping, a little left or right arrow appears momentarily. (For goodness’ sake, WHY?!) And it’s a little kludgy — the swiping behavior isn’t really smooth, kind of like using a mouse on a PC after coming from MacOS, and discovering that the PC mouse has never seemed to track exactly properly. But, hey, it’s progress.

Related to the first issue, Roon still has yet to fix the strange misbehavior when stopping a scroll in iOS. If a page is scrolling, and you touch anywhere, the page should stop scrolling. Literally every other iOS app I know does that. Unfortunately, in Roon, if you touch a point that happens to be in an album’s “bounding box,” Roon selects that album, which is silly — all you wanted was to stop scrolling. Still, the fixes above make this much less annoying, because you can just swipe right to return to the previous page.

I am still not sure that Roon understands that UI and UX are as important as the feature set, but credit where it’s due: These nagging issues are certainly improved in Release 806.

3 Likes

The touch sensitivity is quite annoying to be honest. Lots of times a simple scroll or light touch of the screen are registered as a tap and you’re taken inside a release.

1 Like

Only wish it also implement into iPad app but sadly like many things (vertical orientation etc.) we might have to wait a while for such basic feature.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s extremely surprising to me that this isn’t implemented. Every other app works in the same way, but Roon is different.

Another thing is that touching the top of the screen won’t scroll all the way to the top, which every other app will.

Is this a @support issue I wonder?

Got me. I do find that tapping the top of the screen scrolls to the beginning — for most screens but not all.

1 Like