Roon is acting very slow

Since a few weeks Roon is acting very slow. That slow, that it’s not a pleasure anymore using it. It sometimes takes 30 seconds for a track to start playing, from my library or using Qobuz. Going back to the home section takes the same time.

Nothing has changed on my system, my internet is very, very fast.
Is there a solution for this problem yet? Help me out :slight_smile:

Cheers Fonz

Please describe your Roon Core hardware, and describe the network and how everything are connected.

Are you using WiFi for the Roon Core or any of the endpoints?

Are you using SSD for the Roon database?

I have a Mac mini with Roon Core. I use no Wifi for Roon Core. The Mac mini has SSD. I have a router that is connected to a Highend switch. The switch is connected to the Macmini. and to my Roon ready Naim streamer.

Hi @fonz_vorselaars1

Often times we’ve found that slowness might be stemming from slow a slow DNS. Can you try changing the DNS your network is using?

If that still doesn’t help, can you try playing to System Output of the Core? Does that exhibit the same slowness?

Can you explain what you mean with “try playing to System Output of the Core” ? Roon Core is installed on a Mac-mini with SSD.

I have Roon Core on my mac mini and Roon Bridge on my Imac. Do you want me to choose system output on the mini or imac?

I believe dylan meant the system output of the Roon Core on Mac Mini.

Nothing changed. I also did a fabric reset of my router (Fritzbox 7583). It helped for a short while and after that it became slow again. So if anyone has a solution. Let me know :slight_smile:

Try disabling Packet Accelerator in Fritzbox and see if it helps or not.

I tried but it did not solve the problem? Any other suggestions?

Hi @fonz_vorselaars1,

Just to confirm, playing local content from the Mac Mini to System Output still caused there to be a delay?

Can you provide some examples of tracks that are slow to start when playing to System Output and make a note of how long it takes to start and the time you tried to start playback? If you can get a few examples of this happening and then send us logs (instructions below) I can take a look at what’s happening during this time.

To send logs, please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service). Thanks!

It happens randomly but the ones I play from qobuz are the slowest.slower as the mac mini files. But it is not always with the same track

If it’s mostly streaming content, it’s likely that there are some network conditions that are playing into this. Were you able to change your DNS as recommended above?

will give it a try tonight and will let you know the outcome

I changed the DNS to 8888 and 8844. So far everything works fine. But every time when I did a fabric restart of my router in the past everything worked fast and fine in the beginning. So let’s see what the coming days will bring :slight_smile:

What made you think that this will be the solution? Can you explain that to me? By the way.Thanks for your advice and help so far.

After changing the DNS to 8888 and 8844 Roon could not send te data from the mac mini to my Naim server. After resetting te settings of the DNS thing worked again so I guess 8888 works on my Imac but not with my Naim server.

Thanks for the updates, @fonz_vorselaars1.

Please note the exact local time + date when this issue next occurs and the name of the track that was playing and upload your Roon Logs by using these instructions. The best way to get them over to me would be via Dropbox / Google Drive, but if you don’t have either service please let me know and I can provide alternate upload instructions.