Roon is continually dropping Tidal stream

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16-Core
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P3.20, 01.08.2018

Roon: latest version

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

PC with Roon core -> Ethernet -> Devialet
Music via ethernet from NAS

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Devialet via ehternet

Description Of Issue

Hello, I am streaming music from Tidal and after a few minutes it stops, then resumes for a few beats and then stops all together. This seems to be a ROON problem, because

streaming from my library on the NAS works fine, so no connection or network problems
the computer with ROON core is connected to my Devialet by Ethernet, so no WiFi problems
when I stream directly from Tidal there are no problems
– so no problem with TIDAL itself
– no problem with my internet connection (which works fine for massive video conferencing during the day (not the same time as when I am listening to TIDAL on ROON).
This link will show you how things look on on the iPad Roon-controller https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aip_MYpN7xTsgbZ_jFFL1lbPQsM7sw?e=kwcnix
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aip_MYpN7xTsgbZ_jFFL1lbPQsM7sw?e=kwcnix

This has now been going on for a week, so a swift solution would be appreciated

Hey @Robert_Sonderegger, to help narrow down where things are going wrong, please try the following and let us know the results:

1. Does this happen if you play directly from the system output?
  2. Is this only happening with high-res or MQA?

@1: I am playing directly from the system output (PC / NAS) via CAT 6 ethernet (see picture of signal path)!
@2: All tracks so far have been lossless FLAC files

This is how far I got today before the Tidal album stopped playing (this time MQA)

That is not what @nuwriy means when he says “play directly from the system output” - He means use the System Output on your PC, i.e. through the audio hardware in your PC using the default device. For example:

This is to test whether streaming stops when using a different audio endpoint to your Devialet.

@Robert_Sonderegger, Geoff is correct! Please try that and let us know the results.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for explaining the issue, Geoff.
I will test and report back.

It looks like it works, when played to the system output.

What’s next???

There seems to be a problem with the system output too after all.
I just let it play in the background.
Even without any intervention on my part it skipped tracks or did not play them completely, e.g. Nomad only 10%

Looking forward to your suggests, Roon!

Any suggestions?

Hello @Robert_Sonderegger, we do have a suggestion! Could you please lower the streaming quality for TIDAL and see if you have the same issue, again playing from System Output? You can do this by going into Settings>Services>Clicking “edit” next to TIDAL>lowering quality to “normal”. I’ve attached a screenshot of this below.

I would like to verify that this issue occurs with only high-quality content, or if all content has this issue.

Testing as I write. Will get back to you with the result tomorrow morning.
Thanks for the detailed instructions.

It might be slightly better, but there are still a lot of incompletely played (Gone with the Wind 95%, Cantaloupe Island 15%, Misterioso 15%) or skipped tracks:

Hey @Robert_Sonderegger, thanks for the update! Could you clarify what router (and the model #) you’re using? Is the core running directly to the router or do you have a switch or anything else along that network path?

Hi,
two points to start:

1. Please speed up the process, If you ask me one question at a time every one or two days, we will be at this forever! (Where is your phone or chat support???)
  2. Going forward please explain the reasoning of your questions so I can better answer them.
    Here the answers:
    its a Swisscom internet box standard router and then there are a few Netgear switches all connected with Cat 6 cables.
    However be advised that I am doing heavy video conferencing, HD TV and high quality audio streaming form a different provider over the network without a problem.
    This activity is typically NOT at the same time as I listen to the MUSIC THAT STILL KEEPS DROPPING…

Hello @Robert_Sonderegger, my apologies for the delay.

We do not offer phone support but we would be more than happy to assist you right here on the Community website.

When we resolve issues on Community, it ensures that our entire team has access to the discussion and can weigh in as needed. This means that not only can our support team contribute, but so can our QA team, developers, and senior staff.

I’d still like to take a look at the Router if you have the model number, since that will give me a better idea of the components at hand.

Since you mentioned switches, managed switches can cause issues for Roon and is usually one of the first items we like to remove from the equation. Do you know if your Netgear switches are managed? Could we bypass them and see if the issue still occurs?

Lastly, I’d also like to see the results of the speed test if you could provide a screenshot. While you’re getting these items together, I’ll run this thread by my team and see what they have to say. Thank you for your patience.

Here is the speed test with the result from a few minutes ago at the top:

These test results have been stable for over a year.

Here you can find all the information on the router: https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/help/device/internet-router/internetbox-standard.html

The switches are not managed, they are GS108T and GS108E respectively. While it goes without saying, that they all have the most recent firmware, the last update has preceded the current Roon / Tidal problem by several months, so no connection.
Note that they have been in the network for the two years or so I have been using Roon and Tidal without causing any problems. Also, no other use cases (video conference, HD TV, etc.) are showing any unusual effects.
Finally, it is not feasible to bypass the switches as it is a patch panel set-up in a central location.

Look forward to hearing back in the next few hours with your suggestions.

I thought that this was a managed switch? I know from bitter experience that managed switches can cause problems with Roon:

Hi Geoff, it is a “smart” switch, marketing speak for something that is much simpler - and cheaper - than a real managed switch. For more information see for example here: https://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/33719/what-is-the-difference-between-smart-vs-managed-switch

Contrary to your experience my setup has not changed, these switches had already been in the network for several years before I installed Roon / Tidal about two years ago.

Finally note it is from Netgear, not the TP-Link product you mention even if the numbering is deceptively similar.