Roon is deleting all of my albums from it's database

I added some new albums to my NAS where I had over 2850 already - all of which were available on Roon, and after an hour or so forced Roon to rescan the disks. It started, added one of five new albums and then started erasing everything. It is now down to 300 and has paused. Now it is adding some back.

I am really concerned that all of the work I did on the metadata on hundreds of albums will be gone. That is if it ever gets around to adding all of my albums back.

What is going on???

What operating system are you using? Are the 300 albums left Tidal albums?

I used to have this issue when I ran RoonServer on OSX. I’ve now put in a dedicated Linux NUC for Roon which is steadier.

1 Like

Hi @Gary_Aigen ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles. While I understand the current issue is indeed troubling, you can rest assured that all of your edits will be maintained as the application saves that information in your data base.

In order to accurately evaluate what may be causing this issue, may I kindly ask you to please describe, in detail, your current setup as well as your network topology. The more information you can provide about the gear you are using (DACs etc), how it is all communicating (wifi, ethernet, both), and what type of networking hardware you are implementing (routers, repeaters, extenders, powerline adaptors, switches etc), the better :sunglasses:

Thanks!
-Eric

Before I answer your request let me say that everything is back to normal, except that Roon no longer knows the order of addition of the 2875 albums. Also, when the countdown was underway I tried stopping and restarting Roon but it picked up where it ended, Also, I tried forcing a re-scan for a second time and although that didn’t stop the deletions, perhaps it is why it didn’t go all the way down to zero but stopped at about 300. Lastly, it actually deleted the album that was playing while all of this was happening.

Roon Server is running on a CAPS 3 Carbon computer that I built and have been using for about 4 years. It runs Windows 10 and Fidelizer 7.3.

I also have Roon control points on my Windows desktop and my iPad, as well as a Sonore microRendu directly hooked (hard connector) to the DAC.

Music is stored on a Synology DS213+ with 4tb Western Digital Green NAS drives.

DAC is a PSAudio DirectStream with the latest firmware.

Everything is connected by ethernet except the iPad.

I use a Verizon Router (FIOS Internet), Netgear switch, TPLink optical connection to the microRendu, Audioquest Vodka and Diamond cables carry the messages from the server and the NAS and to the TPLINK.

There is a Verizon Extender on a different floor - it is hard connected.

That is all I can think of - if you need more info just ask.

Thanks,
Gary

One addition, I don’t use Tidal.

Gary

Hi @Gary_Aigen ----- Thank you for the diligence and the VERY thorough report :clap::+1: This level of detail is always appreciated when evaluating issues.

I just want to make sure I am conceptualizing everything accurately in accordance with your observations. May I kindly ask you to confirm the following for me.

1. This issue has been resolved, correct?

“I added some new albums to my NAS where I had over 2850 already - all of which were available on Roon, and after an hour or so forced Roon to rescan the disks. It started, added one of five new albums and then started erasing everything. It is now down to 300 and has paused. Now it is adding some back”

1. These are NEW issues you are facing, correct? If so can you expand on this a bit more for me. Thanks!

"…everything is back to normal, except that Roon no longer knows the order of addition of the 2875 albums…Lastly, it actually deleted the album that was playing while all of this was happening.

-Eric

Eric,
Sorry for the confusion. There are no new issues, both those bits of info are from the initial problem. The deletion of the playing album happened during the mass deletion, and the loss of the order of addition is a result of adding 2500 albums back in at once.
Gary

1 Like

Since this “deleting all of my albums” happens to me a few times a week (I stop it after I see it starting to delete albums so it doesn’t delete more than a few hundred before I quit Roon and restart), I can suggest that you select all of your albums in Albums view, and then bulk edit all of them. Go to the Metadata section, and have it re-sort the albums by the file’s creation date rather than Roon’s addition date.

I used to have this issue running Roon Server on a MAC that was separated from the Synology Library NAS via a wireless network. I think this issue is network related (a network issue happens and the connection is dropped and then renabled) Roon seems to want to go through a recheck of the remote library, in the process it removes then rescans from scratch. Annoying with a 200K track library

The only solution for me at that time (because I am not able to setup ethernet between front and back part of house) was to use a USB drive plugged directly into the MAC. This resolved all issues.

More recently I have a second NAS and have connected that and the MAC to the ethernet ports on the wifi extender so roon server and library are both on an ethernet segment. I also now use a Linux computer instead of a MAC. Something about MAC’s and SMB connections to Synology

Dan,
How did you stop it? I tried everything including bringing down the server, but when I re-started it the decimation continued.

Derek,
The only wifi connection I use in my music system is to my iPad. But, your idea that a network glitch causes this sounds logical to me as the network is the most complicated and most easily upset part of my system. I bet that with a library that large (mine is only 37k tracks) this would really be problematic.

Gary, I quit Roon Server and restart. I watch to see if it is scanning correctly…if it is, then there isn’t a sudden continuation of track reduction. If so, I quit and restart until it starts up without reducing tracks. Then it rebuilds the missing tracks. It’s essential at this point that you go into Settings --> Setup --> Library Maintenance --> Clean Up Library and delete the so-called missing tracks. If you don’t, the rebuild is even more agonizingly slow.

Roon people: this is a persistent and fatal problem that some users experience and, as far as I know, has never been properly addressed. It’s still happening in 161.

A post was split to a new topic: Roon is deleting albums on my NAS

I would like to add my user I’d to this issue. This is the third time I am having to deal with my albums being deleted and having to restore the database from backup.

I run a Nucleus+, Teac NT505 DAC, both hardwired Ethernet to DLink Router, which has my QNAP NAS connected to it. My library is just over 10TB’s so it takes a while to restore. This only started after the last major upgrade, and minor updates have not resolved the issue. I’ve run Roon for years, sold and setup for our customers. This is hardly an acceptable bug in the application and I’m clearly not the only customer experiencing the issue.

Please resolve this ASAP!

This topic was automatically closed after 21 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.