Roon is great with Tidal and Qobuz ... What would the other providers add?

Roon is great with Tidal and Qobuz. Personally, I couldn’t care less if they integrate with Amazon or any other service. Sometimes, growth for the sake of growth is not a good thing. You can take a good company and ruin it.

3 Likes

Would still be nice if Roons choice grew to more than just two, @Jim_F

4 Likes

Why, unless you can’t find what you’re looking for on Tidal and/or Qobuz? I find everything on both.

1 Like

You may change your mind if Tidal or Qobuz or both don’t make it .

1 Like

Well, if that were to happen, obviously Roon would partner up with other services. As likely as that, might be Roon doesn’t make it. Let’s not get ridiculous please. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if they all three go under. We’re talking about streaming music here, not life and death issues.

1 Like

Well, I mean, again, speaking only for myself, I currently have subscriptions to Qobuz, Tidal, and Spotify… And if Spotify integrated with Roon, I could cancel Tidal and save myself $20 a month, and I wouldn’t hate that…

1 Like

Or, you could cancel Spotify.

2 Likes

Really? I hadn’t considered that… thanks!

P.S. I know you’re being smart/sarcastic, but in all seriousness, I wouldn’t have Spotify if Tidal (or Qobuz, or a combination of the two) had the same features/capabilities/integrations outside of Roon.

I’d love to ditch any one (or two) of them, but they’ve all got obvious (to me) flaws and weaknesses, and I have both the means and the interest/enthusiasm to afford all 3… which doesn’t mean I wouldn’t prefer for any one or two of them to be a cure-all so that I could pocket the extra money I’m spending to have all three…

1 Like

I’m not sure what Spotify gives you that Tidal and Qobuz don’t. Both of their apps work for me away from Roon. However, I do have a free Apple Music account if I need it for some reason.

1 Like

Much wider catalogue it trances both of them my catalogue has holes the others just can’t fill, good curated playlists, better app for mobile use as it caches so far ahead you never loose the music. shared playlists, group session great for parties. Wider support for playing back to other devices. Simple to operate with a good UI. It generally just works well and makes music easily available to use and listen for everyone.

6 Likes

Spotify integrates with the Google Assistant, which I personally don’t care about much at all, but my (small) children certainly do. The whole reason why I pay the extra money for a “family plan” rather than just an account for myself is to make music readily available to them and get them appreciating and enjoying, even at a young age… Tidal and Qobuz family plans can’t provide this.

Spotify integrates with my Car’s OS, natively, without using my phone and Bluetooth. Tidal and Qobuz aren’t/don’t.

Beyond that, speaking as someone who has all three, it is my opinion that Spotify (and Qobuz’s) interface is just better than Tidal’s. I find it easier to navigate and find things. I like Spotify (and Qobuz’s) recommendations and pre-made playlists better than Tidal’s. I like the way Spotify’s “family plan” works in terms of making and sharing playlists and artist-follow’s with everyone else in the family (kinda “game-i-fying” and “social-media-ing” the music listening experience). Hence, if Spotify was integrated into Roon the way Tidal is, I would cancel Tidal and keep Qobuz+Spotify+$20 a month rather than paying for all 3… again “JMO” based on my experiences with all 3 (and others; just recently switched to Spotify after having had Google Play Music for many many years, checked out YouTube Music after they “transitioned” us to it from GPM, had a Rhapsody subscription for a year or so back in the late 2000’s/early 2010’s, etc).

2 Likes

I’d quite like to see Bandcamp integration as I buy a bit of music from there. Regarding other services, I’d say it’s probably best to broaden Roon’s reach. Waiting until one of the supported services goes under, and I suspect that one will in the next 2-3 years, before widening the net feels foolish. I’d guess from Roon’s POV it might tempt none Qobuz/Tidal customers.

1 Like

Obviously, what makes sense for some of us, doesn’t for others. It depends on your use case. If Roon ever adds a third provider, I would only want a high resolution provider. I think Roon should continue to appeal to that market segment.

2 Likes

For high res classical music, I hope Primephonic will be added once, because the artists get a far more fair amount of rewards for their work. Instead of pay per track, which is due to length of classical tracks very bad, a pay per second.

1 Like

I don’t listen to much classical, but that would make sense. I think classical might be lacking on Tidal and Qobuz.

Classical is very good at both Qobuz and Tidal, the latter is somewhat harder to find, but even on that the best performances are on it,

My problem is, that the composers do a lot of work and need a more fair amount of the money, a pay per second. While for pop, a song lasts about 3-4 minutes, for classical this is very short.

Primephonic or Idago for classical

nugs.net would be a nice integration, too.

1 Like

Amazon is cheaper if you already subscribe to Amazon Prime anyway. Also, they may ultimately end up with more selection and a better service than Qobuz and Tidal. I must say though that I love Qobuz combined with Roon, so it doesn’t matter much to me at this point.

2 Likes

But, if you don’t already subscribe to Amazon Prime anyway and they don’t ultimately end up with more selection and a better service than Qobuz and Tidal…what’s the benefit?