Roon is not recognizing my Bluesound Mini 2i

I tried bridge mode and I totally lost internet. I’ve reset the settings back to the way they were to begin with. I still think it’s something with roon software being that the only thing that changed when roon stopped seeing my mini 2i is that the mini 2i was unplugged for a while. Hope roon will fix this.

One last question. Just to confirm, did you try Bridge mode on the AE not connected to your Internet provider, the one that has the 10.0.x.x address? If so, then someone else or @support will need to assist, although Roon does not recommend using Airport Extreme routers for a number of performance and reliability reasons.

I appreciate your help but I really think roon needs to fix the problem. it has to be their software since this has never happened before.

Brett,

From your previous post, in order to devices to see each other, all devices must be under the same subnet (ex:192.168.1.X) otherwise it just won’t work. To avoid problems, have your router to assign fixed IP’s to your streamers and end points but configure each device to have their IP assigned automatically (by the router). Having one device unplugged for long might have just reset it to its defaults config, god knows.

Now, if you just want to stick to your point and blame Roon alone for all your issues then I’m afraid to tell you that you’re on your own. Roon also recommend to avoid Apple’s Airport Extreme, which you have…

Good luck!

@Robert_F has provided some excellent and sound advice and assistance so far in this thread.
Much appreciated!

2 Likes

it works using 5ghz but I wanna use 2.4 because it’s better for hi res and a better signal

??? In what way?

I’m not sure. Seems I heard that. And in BluOS when you look at the signal strength for the Mini 2i it gets the strongest signal over wifi. Whereas with the 5ghz it’s just “good” or less.

I’d like to try that. How do you do it? Also, with my iphone it only sees my core by using the 5ghz signal.

Wireless basics

“A 2.4 GHz connection travels farther at lower speeds, while 5 GHz frequencies provide faster speeds at shorter range. Your choice of 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz will depend on where and how you use your WiFi connection most.”

Charles_Jean

1d

Brett,

From your previous post, in order to devices to see each other, all devices must be under the same subnet (ex:192.168.1.X) otherwise it just won’t work. To avoid problems, have your router to assign fixed IP’s to your streamers and end points but configure each device to have their IP assigned automatically (by the router). Having one device unplugged for long might have just reset it to its defaults config, god knows.

Now, if you just want to stick to your point and blame Roon alone for all your issues then I’m afraid to tell you that you’re on your own. Roon also recommend to avoid Apple’s Airport Extreme, which you have…

Good luck!

I’d like to try that. How do you do it? Also, with my iphone it only sees my core by using the 5ghz signal.

Brett,

If you don’t mind, leave alone your remote wireless devices for now.

Start by configuring all your endpoints and streamers, one by one, their network IP address to Automatic. Let the router assigning IP for all your network devices, this is the best advice I can give you.

Now, go into your router’s settings and assign a fixed IP the devices you want to by their MAC address. The MAC address is a unique string of characters defining your device on the network. For this you must find your router’s subnet first (ex: 192.168.1.0) Usually, the router starts assigning automatic IP’s from “1” (ex: 192.168.1.1) all the way up to 255. I suggest you start assigning fixed IP’s from 100 or 200 so you leave the lower range for devices with automatic IP’s. This way you will avoid IP conflicts.

Turn off you router as well as all devices on your network and turn on your router then all devices one by one. This will reinitialize all IP’s and the new IP’s will take over.

Once you did that successfully, we’ll take care of your wireless :slight_smile:

Adding to my previous post,

All devices that serve a function on your network, like a server, NAS, printer and etc… should have a fixed IP address.

I’m using this rule for years and i’m rarely experiencing network problems.

To the next level, router, switch and wifi access point should be separate devices but it depends on your comfort zone managing all this…

Ok. I’ve assigned the fixed IPs. The next thing is I don’t understand why my iPhone which I use as a controller won’t connect with my roon core (which is my iMac) unless the wifi selected on my iPhone is the 5ghz. Same as if I use my iPad. My iMac is connected to the main router via ethernet. Therefore the wifi on my iMac is turned off. Don’t know if that makes a difference one way or another. roon sees my Pulse Mini 2i now with 5ghz but the signal strength on the BluOS for the Mini is at “good” rather than “excellent” as it does when it’s using 2.4ghz.

I don’t know how your AE is configured but normally, your wireless SSID should offer both 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz bands under the same name. A recent Apple device will always connect (prefer) to a 5 Ghz band first and will switch to 2.4 if the signal is too weak.

I don’t know also how far your Roon remotes are from your wifi/router but don’t pay too much attention to the signal strength unless you’re experiencing problems. The 5 ghz will always show lower strength than 2.4. If your remotes are greater than 20 feet distance then you may consider a wifi extender. Make sure however that your wifi/router is placed as high as possible in the house. It makes a huge difference. In the basement is a big no no.

Last, having your iMac (Roon core ) wired to the network is the best you can do. Use a wired connection as much as you can.

Hello @Brett_Lancaster ,

The issue here is that you have a network setup that is using two distinct IP Address sets, this is not a Roon issue, but a network configuration issue, as Roon requires the Core and Audio Endpoints to be on the same network, and this was always a requirement.

The end goal should be to have one router and the other Airport acting as an Access Point (Bridge Mode). Without this kind of configuration, Roon won’t see your audio devices.

We suggest staying away from Apple networking gear outright, but if you must continue to use the Airports, then under the Airport Internet Wireless settings for one of the Aiports, you’ll want to select “Extend a wireless network”:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.