Roon is running fine but suddenly the window content disappears completely on Windows 8.1

I just started with Roon an it is still importing my music. It worked fine and I also could play music. But sudennly and now for the third time the Roon Window is completely empty. See attached screenshot. Im using Windows 8.1 64-bit with all Microsoft updates installed. How can this be fixed?

Hi,

The ‘White screen of death’ What graphic cards are fitted to your PC.

I am using a laptop (Samsung ATIV 9 Plus 940X3G-K08 i7-4500U) with IntelÂź HD Graphics 4400 and a dockingstation (Toshiba TOSHIBA DYNADOCK PA3927U-1PRP DYNADOCK U3.0) with an extra graphic adapter. I am using Roon with with the dockingstation connected via USB 3.0.

There’s some more information here – unfortunately this is a driver bug with certain Intel graphics cards, so if your system (or docking station) has a discrete GPU, you’ll want to make sure Roon is using that instead of the Intel.

You’ll also want to make sure you update your graphics card drivers to the latest version – it’s possible Intel has made some progress here, as we haven’t heard much about this issue of late.

I have this same machine and, occassionally, the same issue with the freezing up of Roon. The screen does not become white, but it enters a state of untouchable oblivion.

The intel graphic card got new drivers at the 25th of December, by automatick update, and after that this graphics driver unfortuntely has started again to restart itself (with a screen notification) after “some” fault. It is no big deal, only embarrassing for Intel that they demonstrate so thoroughly their incapacity to fix their own errors. This issue had been gone for many months, but has been around for more than 18 months. Now it is back. (There was also an issue with the intel Bluetooth pack, bluetooth completely dissappeared from the machine for 2 days)

HOWEVER, it is only ROON that has provoked this graphic driver bug during Christmas, and a push on the wild guess button tells me it can be somehow related to “full screen mode”? I need to restart ROON to get it back.

Maybe it is an Intel bug, but why is only Roon affected? Will there be a solution for Roon in the near future? With not beeing able to bring up Roon in full screen mode in a controllable way it is not much of use, is it?

[quote=“Andreas_Vorg, post:6, topic:6275, full:true”]
Maybe it is an Intel bug, but why is only Roon affected? Will there be a solution for Roon in the near future? With not beeing able to bring up Roon in full screen mode in a controllable way it is not much of use, is it?
[/quote]Wow man, I understand you’re frustrated, but get some perspective. Blaming Roon for an Intel bug is hardly reasonable.

I solved the issue with a manual installation of the IntelÂź HD graphics driver, since neither Samsung Update nor Windows Update, nor the Intel Driver Utility mentioned an available update. I had to download the ZIP version of the driver from the IntelÂź HD graphics update page. For me version 15.36.28.4332 from 12/11/2015 worked.

3 Likes

Good job they didn’t rewrite Roon then :grinning:

Great news @Andreas_Vorg – thanks for letting us know!