Roon is simply unusable for classical collectors

Mine isn’t even as sophisticated as that. I feel a major restructuring coming on.

Shouldn’t have to be brute force. Hire musicologists to give a talk about their specialty. Record the talk. My client’s software will do the rest.

That is interesting.

It may not be technically, but both create the same result: Most have nothing to do with search term I enter.

Ping me if you need beta testers

looks pretty much like my folder structure: main folder by composer, each album in folder underneath. Roon should have ZERO problems reading this. Standard UPnP certainly hasnt.

No, they don’t (necessarily) yield the same results!

If you have an unidentified album in your Roon library, you will, of course, find it under “albums” or “artists” etc., although the album doesn’t show up via (manual or automatic) album identification. If you have a Tidal or Qobuz subscription, you can use Roon’s search function to find anything available there. However, not every album on Tidal or Qobuz is recognized by Roon’s metadata provider (but most of them are). You’re comparing (or even equating) apples with pears…

2 Likes

Why do you participate in this discussion if you have no experience of or understanding of the problem or sympathy for those who do? Here is the first six results I get for a search for “Beethoven Piano Concerto 3”. Notice that the fifth result is for a violin concerto, and the sixth result is by Mozart. Do you think this is acceptable? How can you justify it? What reasonable person would not think that the search is broken?

1 Like

How did you do the search from which view, i was in an album view and simply selected the magnifying glass and typed “beethoven piano concerto no.3”

And reported what i saw

I’m not going to say one way or another, but I’ll just point out that there is an ordering to the search results; all potential items from your library are shown first, then those from the streaming service.

This tends to produce results which start out good, then less so as the matching becomes less precise, before returning to good again when the streaming service results start.

I can’t tell from your screenshot whether your results 5,6,7 and 8 are from your library or not.

1 Like

Try placing a No.3 instead of just 3 , you get a different result

I have the 2 offending albums in my library , neither come back in a search ??? I cant replicate the error

I get one funny which is the Idel Biret complete Brahms , which on inspection shows a Brahms cadenza for Beethoven pc3

My result is from local files, some Tidal ones come later in the list

Could this be Qobuz metadata causing it , some have Qobuz logo on the album

I dont have Qobuz to compare

So you agree it is an error? Clearly, you don’t have my library so you can’t repeat my results, Do you accept that I have them, or do you think I am making it up ? If you accept that I have these results, do you think they are acceptable?

I can kinda see that. And I can understand that a fuzzy search could be useful. If there was a way of just getting the composition that would be great, but as I’ve pointed out earlier in this thread, the results for composition have a lot of noise in them, so I am between a rock and a hard place.

And fwiw results 5,6,7 and 8 are all from my library and do not in fact support your claim that the matching from the library becomes less precise. Results 5 and 6 are less precise than results 7 and 8. So even by your own justification, Roon is failing!

:joy:
This is Roon: Tries to get precise to the level of junior caterer - and on the way loses the focus and precision on the important stuff. I am finding the above and similar situation again and again. Sometimes less is more.

Of course I accept you got that result , the screenshot proves it. Its the reason that is confusing , not knowing Roon’ search algorithm we can only speculate BUT

The Plot Thickens

My search shows Local Files first , Tidal later, I have very few Tidal albums included in my library

This is the Maria Joao Pires Mozart , my Local Copy

this is the Tidal Version

Beethoven as the composer ??? Different releases ?

I can’t compare the Violin Concerto but it does have Piano in the compositions as a Sonata for Violin & Piano

Is your Pires one Qobuz maybe can you check

Dodgy metadata as ever maybe

Got it in one

Beethoven has written some cadenzas to Mozart concertos. But he should not show up there as composer. Its the same error having Liszt‘s stupid piano arrangements beeing listed in a search for Schubert!

This clearly needs fixing. Should be lsited as arranger, not composer.

In the track listing is Beethoven Piano Concerto no.3 on Disc 10 – Idel Biret Complete Works of Brahms

So strictly accurate in its search , it would be wrong NOT to include it

But not the same in the 2 examples

Case Rested , Time to Listen now not argue :sunglasses: