Roon is very, very slow

Come on, Noris.

I have sent the files itself 2 times, the link 2 times as well as uploaded them to the Roon area you sent me.

// Frode

Hello @Frode_Michalsen,

Thanks for sending those logs but unfortunately they are not the one’s we need for analysis.

The logs folder you are looking for contain Roon_log.txt, Roon_log.01.txt, Roon_log.02.txt and so forth.
I have updated our Logs page to reflect this information better and apologies for any confusion in that regard.

Please let me know if you are able to upload those sets of logs to either Dropbox or our server and I will also escalate your case to QA as soon as I receive them.

Thanks,
Noris

Sorry Noris,

Correct files:

// Foode

1 Like

The new core I set up (not the one we are referring to here) has gone from ok speed to very slow as well.

// Frode

Thanks for sending over the correct logs @Frode_Michalsen, I have created a ticket for your case with our QA team and it is pending review, appreciate your patience until I hear back from them!

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Frode_Michalsen,

I have just received the analysis back from QA and they have noted that the diagnostics from your core do not indicate high resource usage and this issue you are seeing is not due to the Core but likely due to your network and the communication from your Roon Remote <–> Core.

The best way that we can test to see if this is the actual issue is by installing the All-in-one Roon app on your Mac Pro (instead of just RoonServer), restore your database and verify if that behaves in the same way with both the Core and Control on the same machine.

Can you please also let me know what your local storage setup is like here? Are you using only the NAS for local content or do you have a mix of the NAS, internal hard drives and external hard drives in this setup? Please provide a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Storage Tab if possible and let me know if you experience the same behavior if you are using the All-in-one Roon instead of just RoonServer on the Mac.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

I am on my way testing local core.

It will be interesting to understand what in the network causing the problem.

Main setup:
Mac Pro 5.1, MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
4 x ssd in Raid 10 (where all apps are) on Squid Carrier (http://amfeltec.com/products/pci-express-carrier-board-for-m-2-ssd-modules/)
All HD connetced to Areca Technology ARC-1880 controller card.
Local content on a local Raid 1 volume.
Wired network connection, connected to Netgear 108 unmanaged switch.
DNS: OpenDNS, tested dns from ISP and Google.

Reserve setup:
Qnap TVS 471, latest firemware.
SSD for apps.
Local volume for local content.
Wired network connection, connected to Netgear 108 unattended switch.

Remotes:
Iphone X
Ipad Mini2
Mac Pro (Wifi).

Endpoints:
Meridian MC200
Meridian 218
Both connected to a Linksys switch.

Network:
Netgear Orbi Pro (Upnp disabled).
Netgear 108 unmaganed switch .
Linksys LGS115 unmanaged switch.
ISP: Lynet Internet AS, 500Gbps up/down on fiber.

Hello @Frode_Michalsen,

Thanks for confirming that networking info. I believe this might be due to a setting on the Orbi but it is too early to say. If you notice any issues with the All-in-one package please let me know a timestamp, upload the logs as you have done before and we can take another look.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

The new install (All In One) works fine with good respons. Just ran Tidal and Tidal/Library.

Logs at the same location, folder “Logs AllInOne”. 23:05 - 23:20.

Cheers,

Frode

Hello @Frode_Michalsen,

Thanks for sending those new logs over and confirming that it works as expected with the All-in-one, I have asked QA to take a look and I will let you know what they say once it reached the queue again.

In the meantime, I have an unconventional test I’d like to try, I have PM’d you follow up details.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi,

Updated info. It seems that the slow actions is related to end point connected by wired thru a switch. No change if I bypass the switch.

But pointing to my Iphone speaker speed (album loading and next song) is normal. If this continues it seems that it must something related to LAN communication. Strange.

// Frode

Hello @Frode_Michalsen,

I am not sure I understood your last message, can you clarify which endpoint you are referring to? If the slow behavior is just on your Macbook Pro endpoint, I would try to reinstall the Roon Remote app on it to see if that helps and possibly quit out of some unneeded applications that are running in the background.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

Playing to end points MC200 and 218 is very slow, core is Mac Pro. With the same core, but with Iphone as speaker it works ok. Remote is Iphone.for both.

Running Macbook Pro as Remote, speaker Mac Pro monitor it works fine.

This indicates that it might be something to do with communication between core and endpoints connected wired thru switch.

Core and endpoints MC200 and 218 is connected by wire to different switches. I rewired so core and endpoints (MC200/218) was on the same switch. No change, still very slow.

// Frode

What’s next?

Hello @Frode_Michalsen,

Thanks for letting me know that info. I am going to have a meeting with QA and possibly the devs regarding your case later this week and perform another review of the diagnostics.

I will be sure to let you know as soon as I have had a chance to discuss with them and will let you know their findings.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

Hopefully there will a solution soon, I been without functional Roon for a Month.

Worth mentioning again is the feature of gradually slowing Roon. Just after restarting Roon Server, ut works fine. Then gradually it slows until very slow within 20-30 minutes.

What is it that slows the system down, that in some way “piles” up. It is not CPU usage, which seems to be quite constant. Can it be that the server app is not able to allocate enough resources from Mac OS?

Cheers,

Frode

Hello @Frode_Michalsen,

I just had a meeting with the QA team regarding your case and we would like to suggest some more troubleshooting steps here:

• We are seeing an error related to the amount of tracks queued in your Roon application, can you please navigate to your Queue screen and then press “Clear Upcoming” and then “Clear All” and then reboot the Core? This button is located here, press it once to clear upcoming, press it again to clear queue:

• When you tried the All-in-one setup, QA hasn’t noticed any playback attempts to the Meridian Zones, is the playback behavior the same when you were using the All-in-one?

Please let me know when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi,

I did not find long ques in any zones, just up to 10-15 songs. I have cleared all ques and restarted the core.

I am running the Roon Servier core on Mac Pro, just to make sure we are not misundertsanding each other.

I did play songs with All-in-One on Macbook Pro. The playback was nornal when using local zone. Can`t remember if I played with 218 or MC200 zone.

Cheers,

Frode

Hello @Frode_Michalsen,

Is there any change in behavior after clearing the queue? Or is it still exhibiting slow behavior?

From the All-in-one logs you posted we did not see any playback attempts to the 218 or MC200 zones, if the behavior is still slow after clearing the queue please let me know and then try to perform a playback attempt to those zones with the All-in-one.

Thanks,
Noris