Roon keeps crashing in my first library scan

Hi,

I’m on a windows 7 running the first 14 trial days.
I have a problem I hope you can help me with, core keeps crashing while scanning. I have read a little bit about it and this seems to be very likely related to corrupt file/s.
My problem is how do I identify the file/s that is causing this so that i can somehow find a workaround.
to this issue.

Also roon doesn’t give me time to stop the scanning or do any changes before it crashes again.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried adding the files incrementally to your watched folder rather than trying to scan them all at once?

You could have a look in the log file and see if it is choking on a specific file. If so then just temporarily move that album out of your watched folder.

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Roon\Logs where XXX is your user name

@support may be able to help you with that if you are not familiar with scanning through log files.

Thanks for your help @DaveN. That seems a very laborious task. I will try it if I can’t find another more time efficient way.

Thanks @ncpl. I’ll try that. Cheers!

It depends on how many problematic files you have. If it’s just one, narrowing it down can be done relatively quickly. Add half your files to the watched folder. If they scan successfully, add half of the remainder, and so on. If the scan fails, remove half the ones you just added, and so on. If you have multiple files that are causing problems then yes, it would end up being laborious.

You may have files that were obtained many years ago and it is not uncommon to find that some were either a bit dodgy to start with or have degraded over time (HDD errors etc).
David’s method of halves is actually pretty good if you don’t see an obvious file error in the logs.

Noted. I remember that method from my math teachers, they used to call it the dichotomy method, a numerical method used to find solutions to unsolvable equations. I really appreciate the attention to detail. Thanks @DaveN!

1 Like

Sorry for the troubles here, @David_Mas! Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

Its now working. I removed the problematic folder. Thanks all for help.

1 Like

Fantastic news @David_Mas, do let us know if you run into any further difficulties and if so we can certainly assist!

Good news! How did you track it down?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.