Roon keeps disconnecting from my NAS collection

Core Machine

sonicTransporter i5. I run Roon and Plex.
My music is stored on a Synology NAS.

Network Details

Audio Devices

Library Size

Description of Issue

Roon has been losing connection with my music stored on my NAS. Suddenly the music will stop. I will look at Roon and it says “Album Deleted”. I go to Home and it only shows the albums saved from Tidal.

It can take a minute or more for my collection to reappear. It has been happening more frequently, multiple times a day. I would really like to resolve this, but I’m not sure where to start.

Any pointers on how I should begin troubleshooting to isolate the cause?

One other detail, something similar was happening when my Roon would scan for updates, so I set that to only happen once early in the morning.

Hi Ben,

Not official support, but, it sounds like there is an issue in the network chain between the Core and the NAS. You can move some music locally to the Core and just play that to verify that it is the network causing the issue.

Detailing the network chain from the Core to the NAS would be helpful. Not knowing that, my first suggestion is to change the port the NAS plugs into on the switch or router. Ports can sometimes go “flakey”. Then try changing the cables.

Also, when the NAS is in it’s “lost” state in Roon, can you access it from a different computer?

1 Like

Hi @Ben_Kanspedos — I just wanted to check in and see if you’re still seeing issues here.

Rugby is spot on, it would definitely be good to know more about the network setup here so we can better understand this if you’re having problems still. Please let us know!

Thank you for the suggestions @Rugby and for following up @dylan
I finally got around to trying them.

I moved a track (John Carpenter - The End) directly to the SonicTransporter i5 internal storage and it was imported to Roon. When I then lost the connection, all my NAS files disappeared like always, but “The End” was still there.

I switched the ethernet cord, then I also switched to a different port on my switch. Unfortunately, Still losing connection.

Here are some more details:

I have a Netgear CM1000 Modem. It is connected to a 5-port switch which outputs to:

• Google wifi router
  • Synology DiskStation DS415 Play (Music stored here)
  • Sonic Transporter i5

When I lose connection, I lose it at all endpoints.

Here is an image of my Storage:

Thank you

Hi @Rugby and @dylan. I am at my wit’s end. I just want Roon to stop dropping :weary:

Any suggestions on further troubleshooting. I still haven’t completely isolated the cause.

Here is what I see when I’m viewing an album, then lose connection:

Sorry for the continued trouble, @Ben_Kanspedos. The next time this happens can you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service)? Our team will take a look at what’s happening during this time. Thanks!