Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

Installed the lastest upgrade yesterday but the situation hasn’t changed unfortunately.

1 Like

I’m in the same camp. Roon crashed every single time I minimize it. This problem only started after the most recent update. I’m happy to provide any information that will help solve the matter.

Hopefully the upcoming Roon 2.0 update fixes these problems once and for all.

1 Like

For a new Roon user, the experience has been disappointing.

1. I was unable to run the core on my new NAS (upgraded memory, cache, and an SSD to run the core) - neither using Christopher Rieke’s spk, nor Greg Friedman/Steef de Bruijn docker walkthrough;
  2. Then, I installed the core on my i7/16GB notebook…Well, I could enjoy some music from my 2,600 albums for some days with no issue, BUT last week has been hell: constant crashes AND as the backup was set for 4 days I lost these days of editing albums (today ii was my third reinstallation).

This weekend I will probably go back to JRiver

Well, Roon 2.0 hasn’t fixed the issue for me, pretty dissapointed…

1 Like

Try running Roon in a Window. Works for me.

thats a nice workaround :slight_smile:
roon UI is full of empty spaces and indeed window can be shrinked a bit without loosing content

1 Like

And you can go full screen and back to Window with no problems. Just don’t minimize.

I’ll give it a shot, I’m usually using it maximized but not full screen, like that.

You can still do that. Just click the maximize and restore down buttons. Don’t click minimize.

I’ve been having crashes without minimizing the window, so it seems in my case it is not entirelly related to minimizing the window.
I can’t put my finger on it, I tried multiple things. Next step is to plug back my old Mac Pro…

1 Like

I see an Apple Macbook Air M2 in my future.

Updated to 2.0. Tested on latest windows 10. Freezes, went to roon ARC, hit the refresh arrow. Sat for about 30 seconds and kicked it out of the freeze. Had the Roon client also open on a macbook pro laptop, was working like normal the entire time, no freeze but the window was fully enlarged.

same here. after updating to 2.0, once i open the roon windows app for my PC remote, it freezes and crash.
Tried uninstalling and installing, no change.

edit: After turning on PC the next day, no more problem with roon freezing.

Same issues are continuing with 2.0. I’m using Roon 2.0 PC as a remote. Every single time I use Roon it freezes.

So I tried running it for a while in a window, without minimizing, as suggested. It still crashed as much as before.

1 Like

32bit Roon on Win10 seems not supported on Roon 2.0 anymore.
After I hit the update button, it said my Win10 machine is not compatible.
I then downloaded 64bit version and it works without freeze for a day until now.
(I only use Roon as remote on Win10, the core is on a Linux machine.)

End of support for 32bit was mentioned in the announcement.

well, seems it happens again a day after :sleeping:

Used Roon on my old desktop with W10 and now on my complete new desktop with W11, both as server and remote. In all situations i get the freeze after the minimize to tray. Because of the same problem in all these different situations it seems this must be a Roon problem. Hope it will be solved soon, because its enoying and may not happen with software in this price class,

2 Likes