Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

Up till now I have been lucky and didn’t have any crashing Roon on Windows when using minimized/windowed mode. Today I got the following error:

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x63361f61
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.8.9065.0, time stamp: 0x62a12eed
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000018a594
Faulting process id: 0x0x2C14
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D8DE0CC83C9AF2
Faulting application path: C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Report Id: a47063a6-2a19-4e83-9a9f-b20cb6aa76a8
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Hi everyone,

We’ve shipped the aforementioned fix for this issue with the latest release. Please see the Release Notes here for Build 2.0.1: Roon 2.0.1 and ARC 1.0.2 are live!

Once you’ve updated your Core, please restart the device to stabilize conditions. We’ll be watching closely for any reports of continued issues. Thank you again for your patience these many weeks, and we’ll continue to narrow down the solution from here for anyone who is still affected.

1 Like

Windows 10 still freezing for 10 to 20 seconds after restoring from a minimization. The time to unfreeze seems to be in proportion to how long it was minimized. No crashes so far today.

EDIT: Roon 2.0 on my Dell core crashed when I cleared upcoming.

I got another crash after updating today. It seemed stable at first but ended up crashing again.
What can I provide to help troubleshoot? Is there a log somewhere or something?

Hi @Mathieu_Dulong,

If you have system logs available (ie. Windows crash report), you can upload them here at your convenience and the team will investigate immediately.

We’ll enable diagnostics from Roon automatically - please leave your Core device running and online for the next several hours, if you don’t mind, so the request can reach our server.

Thank you for reporting in so quickly. @Jim_F, I’m sorry to hear that the issue persists in your case. Is this on a laptop (primary display onlt), or on a desktop?

1 Like

Yes, Dell XPS 15 laptop. I’m signing off for now and going to try and repair my Nucleus.

Ok so I found the Roon Log folder and sent the latest one to the link you provided.
I’ll leave Roon open, but since it crashes randomly, I don’t know how long it will stay open.

Is there anything I need to do (except leaving Roon open) for you to enable diagnostics?

Regretfully - downloaded the update, rebooted and after15-20 minutes it buffers for a minute or two. It didn’t crash but has the same behavior as before.

Thank you! After a clean install. I’m back in business on my primary PC.

I never tried a clean install of Roon before, I’ll do this now see if it helps!

Hi @Mathieu_Dulong,

No other steps required on your end for the log pull; the diagnostics already went through. Please keep us posted if the reinstall of Roon helps resolve the crash fully. We’ll be continuing our investigation with the latest diagnostics and will provide updates here.

For now, I recommend all affected users attempt to reinstall Roon on their Windows devices. Even if it doesn’t resolve the issue fully, it will streamline our investigation of diagnostics by reducing clutter in Roon logs. We hope to have this issue pinned down and sorted out for the last affected users very soon, and it’s a high priority for us to help developers track down the bug in any system still affected.

As a reminder, you can also perform a more thorough “deep” reinstall of Roon by refreshing the database:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup
1 Like

I reinstalled it but not with your Deep method.
I got another crash but this time it wasn’t random, it was right when I unlocked my PC.

I usually lock my PC when I’m away from it so that my young kids don’t accidently mess with it, it also turns off the display after a minute.

I’ll see if I get other crashes and will then do a deep reinstall without restoring my backup.

I spoke too soon. It ran once. Started it up hours later and it’s not responding again. So frustrating…

1 Like

Full uninstall, reinstall and it’s back. Please tell me I don’t have to keep doing this LOL.

Installed the update. Roon Core runs on my Synology and the remote on my Windows 11 desktop (new system, just 1 month old). Freezing problem is still exactly the same. So, no solution yet!

Hi Conner,

Thank you for the info and reinstall suggestion.

Big Question – I’ve spent a ton of time making sure the music shows up where I would like it to (e.g., standardizing artist and album-artist names, using my tags where appropriate, etc.). Will all of this be lost when I reinstall? If not, how do I make the “new” Roon installation use the “old” database?

Craig

unfortunately for me the problem also did not disappear after the update. But it definitely occurs much less frequently and roon must have been minimised for a much longer time to freeze.

2022-10-15_183632

2 Likes

It appears I am also one of those who has not seen the new version as a fix for the crashing problem.

1 Like

After update & reboot on the linux core, the win10 remote only has a few times freezing, every time less than a minute.
Definitely much better than last few months.

I did the Roon update, the Windows 11 Fall 2022 Update, and the latest Nvidia GeForce Game Ready Driver…
So far, so good!

1 Like