Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

Roon Core Machine

• Dell XPS 17 (9710) running Windows 10 with latest patches / updates / BIOS / drivers

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router: Google Nest Wifi routers and mesh extenders

• XPS 17 has a wired connection

Connected Audio Devices

• Chromecast audio
  • Windows 10 laptop running Roon app
  • Pixel 5 phone running latest Roon app
  • Sonos One

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

SUMMARY: I recently installed the Roon core on my Dell laptop. Previously I was using another device, and using the Dell as a client.

I find that the application crashes when I bring the window to the foreground. This does not happen all the time, and is not related to how long the application has been in the background. For example, it was fine this morning after being hidden all night. However, within the space of 30 minutes, it crashed.

I tend to get crashes several times a day.

The exact sequence is:

• bring Roon app to foreground
  • app window renders correctly
  • about 1-2 seconds later, my mouse cursor changes to a spinning icon.
  • a further 1-2 seconds later, the app crashes.

This can occur irrespective of whether music is playing or not.

I suspect this is graphics/driver issue but I can’t put my finger on exactly why. When I was using the same laptop as a client only, I would sometimes see a red X running across the diagonals of the screen, moments before the window closed; my recollection from my programming days is that this could be related to the viewport rendering.

My laptop has an nVidia GeForce RTX 3050, as well as an onboard Intel adapter. Both are up to date.

2 Likes

I think you can set an app to use a specific graphic card. If so, try setting Roon to use the RTX graphics card. How to manually set a default graphics card: Nvidia or AMD

Hello @moralcrusader ,

When this issue occurs, does Roon hang or does it crash directly? Can you please let us know the time + date of a few of these events? We can enable logging for your account afterward. Thanks!

Thanks for the assistance! I’m away at the moment but will get back to this in a few days

1 Like

This sounds similar to the issue I reported here over a month ago. A few suggestions were given by users, though none resolved the issue. It’s been persistent through the last few updates.

Good to see that Roon dropped in to this thread, as they didn’t in mine.

@noris, I uploaded Roon logs and Windows Event logs on 22 May, with the Windows logs being date and time stamped for when the crashes occur. In my case, Roon hangs for a few seconds then crashes when bringing to the foreground as described by OP above; otherwise, I find that Roon has closed by the time PC has woken from sleep – although neither scenario is consistent.

1 Like

I’ve been having roon client crashes as well. I run it on my work laptop to connect to my person computer which is also running roon and connect to the DAC. The client on my work laptop will crash after a while when I try to do anything in it. This issue started with build 931. Yesterday I got a new work laptop and installed roon. It crashes as well. In both cases I’m running Windows 11 build 22000.613. Both laptops are intel based but several generations apart and different brands.

1 Like

Here is what is in event viewer:

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x624fe354
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.8.4470.0, time stamp: 0x61b72dcc
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000000b334
Faulting process id: 0x4c14
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8565a225caed7
Faulting application path: C:\Users<MYID>\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Report Id: caa47405-99bd-4cf0-87be-c57a9f00c7d3
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

1 Like

I would think this is the sort of malfunction that an app developer (@support) would jump on.

C’mon guys, give the OP a little love.

2 Likes

Hi All,

This error is related to .NET, can you please confirm that you have the latest .NET installed? Can you try and install the latest and see if the error still occurs? Download link below:

I have the exact same problem. I downloaded the dot.net from the link Noris provided. The installer confirmed that I had the latest version of Dot.Net Installed on my Windows 10 PC.
.Net

Here are my Specs:

I get the same thing as described since updating to version 1.8 build93

The Windows 10 Client Freezes, music continues to play and I can control with my android remote. The Windows 10 Client is frozen and must be restarted. This happens daily and did not before this.

From the Event Log: Event ID 1000, Application Error

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x627996f1
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.8.4470.0, time stamp: 0x61b72dcc
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000000b334
Faulting process id: 0xf5c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8663bdccbcf3b
Faulting application path: C:\Users\minky\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Report Id: 50d65212-f832-4583-b1a3-96ac251219f6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This occurs on both streaming of Qobuz or accessing local library on my SATA connected internal Hard Drive. I am hard wired LAN into my router/Cable internet. @support any updates on this. The .Net link provided does not apply to my situation as I have the latest version. Thanks!

Scott Grant
[Email hidden by staff]

2 Likes

I’ve had this issue on my Dell XPS 15 for a while. I don’t remember when it started.

1 Like

@support
Pretty disappointed here with the lack of replies…

2 Likes

I am very new to Roon and about to move back to JRiver as this has been happening daily. Windows 11, app will freeze and force close. This recent update seems to be making it happen more often. I also have the latest version of .NET installed and all graphics drivers are up to date as of today and have been up to date. This just happened when not even playing any music and just maximized the player.

3 Likes

Another day another crash. Believe it is a different error. Just renewed, expected better support for the price :frowning:

Thank you Noris.

Does the hang have any relation to minimizing / maximizing the Roon app or does it occur while in use?

Yes, the crashes always occur while Roon is minimized

When the hang occurs, what is the last active window of Roon? Are you on Now Playing, Queue, My Albums, or another view?

Now playing

What is your CPU/GPU information? If you can submit screenshots of your Windows System Information System Summary and Display Tab, that would be helpful:

Are there any common patterns to the hang, does it occur after any repeatable sequence of actions or looking at any views in particular?

I really have noticed none, I want to mention that it occurs whether playing local library or streaming from QoBuz. As far as pattern, this may be related to my use scenario, but for me this occurs when I have now playing up and minimized. Music will go on playing, but when I return to the application it will be frozen. Some times it will come back, other times it will bomb out and I need to kill the task in task manager

Thank you

Scott

3 Likes

Same thing here. I have been using Roon over 5 years in various hardware combinations and now on a brand new NUC11. Fresh install on windos 11, 32 Gb RAM, etc.
Since the last updates Roon is crashing constantly with this same error message.

Following thread for potential solutions.

1 Like

Yes Dirk_Maeyens,
Its getting damn near impossible to ignore. Multiple daily crashes. Maybe more posting will get some traction

1 Like

Hi @Scott_Grant ,

Thanks for sharing those details! We are looking into this issue, but have not been able to reproduce it consistently yet, we are looking for common patterns. Since .NET framework cannot be reinstalled, can you please try to install .NET Desktop 6.0 and see if this by any chance helps?

Get this with the install link

.net

Don’t think I have 6 installed, powershell command says 4.8

.net.02

Will look into later, guess I could clear the whole thing. Not sure if I am gonna do right now lol, long day. Thanks for the reply Noris

Scott

Dell XPS 15 running Windows 10 and full Roon software freezes up basically 100 percent of the time when I’m listening to music with Roon minimized.

2 Likes