Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

Hi everyone,

We’re aware the fix has only marginally resolved symptoms for some users and we’ve consolidated reports to pass back to development. Stand by and I will provide an update from staff as soon as possible; it remains a massive internal priority.

Hey @CraigS,

Restoring a backup will maintain all of your music and customized settings. You can read more here.

4 Likes

The new update has not fixed my issues either. In fact they are worse. Sort of annoying I have to re-install as well, but I’ll do it and report back.

I reinstalled - I haven’t even played any music yet and its not responding after being minimized.

I minimized it to let it run the ‘Background audio analysis speed’ on my library. I went to check and see how much longer it had and it froze for 30-40 secs after expanding it from being minimized.

I am having a similar issue. I can reproduce my crash.

I select a daily playlist. Usually 3 hours in length. I hit play and minimize the client to the taskbar. after the playlist ends, I try to foreground Roon to get a new thing playing and the client takes a half minute or so and crashes. I can resume after reopening it.

Windows 11, latest client. Let me know how I may provide useful information.

Same here. The latest version did not solve this issue at all. I am using Roon all day. When minimized to the taskbar, it will freeze when I want to open the window. It’s a really annoying problem that has been going on here for a long time. I waited patiently and hoped that the last update solved this problem.

I have a standard Windows 11 setup on a new Surface Book 3, but I had the exact same issue on my previous Surface Book 2. So it also happens on a brand new machine with a fresh Windows installation. So I assume it should be possible to reproduce this issue pretty easily.

I use two screens and run Roon on my secondary screen. Don’t know if the issue is related to the use of multiple monitors. I hope the problem now has full focus from the Roon dev team and is solved soon.

This hasn’t fixed for me either.

Hi,

This seems to be the Roon crashing on Windows thread, so I wanted to report my experience.

My Roon app on Windows 10 21H2 crashes nearly every time I leave my computer for any extended amount of time. When I return and click on the app (often minimized), it crashes within a few seconds. I’ll then relaunch the app and then it’s fine. It does occasionally happen when I’m using the app, too. I’ll go to bring the app up to interact with it (pause, switch albums, etc.) and it hangs for a few moments and then crashes. It frequently does this hang behavior and does not crash, it’s just not responsive for a few moments. When it crashes, event viewer application log blaming crl.dll, but I’m guessing that doesn’t really help. My OS is patched and up to date, which should mean .NET is up to date. People have mentioned graphics drivers, so I should add I’m up to date there too, Nvidia 522.25.

I was wondering if maybe it was related to HDD “Turn off hard disk after X minutes” setting, particularly if Roon was watching a folder on a HDD that is turned off by the OS. I can try to disable this power setting for a while if it helps. Mine is set to turn them off after 20 minutes of inactivity.

If there’s any other diags I can pull to help, let me know.

1 Like

I’ve posted this before, but until Roon solves this issue, this is what works for me. NEVER Minimize and NEVER Maximize. ALWAYS run Roon is a window.

3 Likes

I agree that this is a bug that needs to be fixed and that it is annoying for users, but have you tried doing separate installs for Roon Core and Roon Remote so that you don’t have to have Roon Remote running all the time?
At the moment I no longer use Roon Core with Windows, but I remember that, when I used it, this was the setup I preferred (I didn’t have technical problems, but I simply preferred Roon Remote not to be turned on all the time).

Still not fixed. Sadly.

This is how it looks like:

3 Likes

Running Roon on windows 10 but the program does not respond when minimizing or crashes the program ones i open to full screen after a while and now Roon is taking a little while to boot up which i use a solid state hard drive so should be quick to load like it used to be .

The Roon is up-to-date and so is windows but still get this issue which has been like this the last 4 months any help …

Unless I am missing something, there is no Roon Remote (client-only) for Windows. If you want the client and the server/core on a single machine the only option appears to be to install the entire package all-in-one “Roon” download. You can install a headless “Roon Server” for windows, but then you would have to use a phone as the remote. Is there something I am missing here?

You can install the “all-in-one” Roon package for Windows, and just use the “Control” component, with Roon Server on the same PC used for the “Core” and “Output” components…

Here it is the download page.
You should install first Roon Server, and after that Roon.

this hasn’t been solved yet ? or am i missing something

In my case, like others, Roon often is unresponsive when I maximize it. It then either crashes and is fine when I restart it. Or, it starts working after a few seconds. However, often it totally crashes the PC, mouse, keyboard, everything. I have to manually reboot the PC.

Just installed the latest version, but the freezing problem is still not solved. I am surprised that it is taking so long to find a solution to this issue. Paying quite an amount for this software I think we may expect more! Please give us an update on the status and what we may expect in the nearby future. And maybe some reduction offer on the monthly payment may be applicable?

3 Likes

This is a constant problem for me. Here’s the latest “Roon (Not Responding)” screenshot. I run Roon on a separate PC (well, a MOCK, but that shouldn’t make any difference).

1 Like

Yep, still not fixed for me either. Getting irritating.

2 Likes

I have a similar issue with Roon repeatedly crashing along with Microsoft Edge. Seems to be a very unstable combination. Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, version 22H2, OS Build 22621.819. Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @3.70GHz with 32GB of RAM. Edge is Version 107.0.1418.35 (Official build) (64-bit). Crashing happens when PC is idle and goes into screensaver mode but also happens at times when I’m using the PC for things like email or browsing. Funny enough, Roon crashed (date/time stamp ~ 11/12/2022 @ 1045 Eastern) when I logged into my PC to read up on these crashes. Standing by for an update please!

1 Like