Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

Dear @support,

You acknowledged an issue in Windows and that the next release would address this.

The problem being that Roon will crash if minimised for a while or put behind another app for a while, or it will freeze or generally misbehave.

How about releasing a patch right now with that fix rather than us suffering for yet another year?

Cheers

1 Like

Same issue here…

2 Likes

I’ve already posted my PC info above and adding screenshots here. Roon has crashed several times since this post, most recently on 11/15 @ 0649 AM/EST. It was running in the background and streaming a live radio internet station in two locations (office and living room). I had started the stream and a few minutes later went to log into the PC hosting that Roon core, when it crashed. As soon as I typed in my Windows PIN and logged in. It crashed when I hit ‘enter’ and screen opened to my desktop.

Do you have all the extra stuff loaded from Nvidia? I only run with the base driver and physX. I don’t load the nvidia experience, audio driver, etc etc etc. and don’t have this issue at all.

I can repeat this crash with 100% accuracy.
I have been able to for quite some time.

I would be willing to again offer any and all information I may to fix this.

As of yet, I have had no one ask.

My drivers are current, my system is properly patched.

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

Intel Core i7-6700 @3.4GHz. 16GB Ram. Windows 10 64 bit, Multiple SSD’s
Music collection is stored locally on this PC.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Telstra Router
All computers and audio devices are connected via TCP/IP
I have a Clipsal StarServe hub with an ethernet switch to distribute ethernet throughout the house.

Connected Audio Devices

Naim NDX. I run the uPnP Bridge to connect Roon to Naim

Number of Tracks in Library

8800 tracks

Description of Issue

Roon Core is running on a PC. This works fine.
My Apple iPhone connects and works fine.
I have a work laptop HP Z-Book G6 i9, 64G ram. This is the computer with the issue.
After initially queuing a CD to play, during which I am using my laptop for work, I switch back to Roon. Roon hangs, often crashes several moments later, or sometimes eventually responds (normally if I do not click any buttons within the app).
This has been happening for at least 6 months I would say. It had worked fine in the past.

I have added Roon to my firewall rules. I have Dotnet 4.8 installed, although it won’t let me reinstall because it says it is already there.
I have generated a log and can send this.
I see the error in the log
Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6359e34c
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.8.9105.0, time stamp: 0x632272c6
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000018a594
Faulting process id: 0x0x3B10
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D8F24F21253EEF
Faulting application path: C:\Users\dthomas\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Report Id: 4a7b8cab-e568-495d-95bf-da64fa6d0824
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

1 Like

Yes, I have NVIDIA GeForce Experience loaded since I like the driver update prompts and ease in updating the drivers.

Update on my end - Roon will still outright crash, but the intermittent and extremely annoying lagging issues have mostly subsided. It is also crashing much less. Although I don’t know if its “solved”, its certainly moved in the right direction.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

The freezing and crashing has been going on for over 7 months. Still no fix and now a price increase. I like Roon a lot, but this forces me to make a decision that otherwise would have been an automatic renewal.

3 Likes

i get exactly this…ALL DAY LONG :frowning:
please help??? roon unusable basically $$ down the drain!!

1 Like

hit the nail on the head. the fact that they spend so much time working on new features instead of making the software stable is insanity and i refuse to continue funding madness.
ALL roon labs resources should be focused on this!!!

2 Likes

I have this issue a few months. The longer roon plays minimized the longer it is freezed. It was never in the past.

1 Like

I don’t have nvidia at all.
AMD graphics here and still the same issue (either on Vega or dedicated) so I doubt it is due to a graphics card or drivers.

Same problem here.
Too many months without solution for a non free software…
I’ve seen freezes happen only if Roon is playing music. Otherwise never seen problems maximizing the window.
Can you confirm this?

I am very disappointed in Roon, not only because of the problems discussed in this topic, but also because they move and delete my posts here!

2 Likes

I’m personally not sure some of these posts were helpful.

I generally don’t taunt people who prepare my food, are secretarial staff
(they run your office don’t pretend otherwise) or software devs I wish to get help from.

I do not understand the lack of response from Roon either though. It isn’t often one gets a bug so easily reproduced. It would appear it should be t-ball knocking it out, which makes the complete lack of reply odd.

I speak for no one but me and generally do that poorly as well.
Thank you for the soapbox.

1 Like

I think Roon can’t figure this one out. In the mean time, running Roon in a window is a “work-around” that works for me.

even after the lattest update roon keeps crashng/ it is more then4 monthes issue

I wonder why so many people confuse then and than? Maybe it’s a translation issue?