Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

I had the first crash of the day. Played for 3-4 hours continuously without crashing.
I have been monitoring memory usage since this issue started and noticed the correlation between crashing and memory usage… After starting Roon this morning, memory fell to its lowest usage level since i have been monitoring at under 2G. For the second time since updating to 970 Roon just crashed (after enlargening the app window) and checking memory i see that it is now back above 3.5G usage on the core.
Neither of the problems that were supposedly fixed in 970 have been fixed for me. It does though, appear as if it is less bad (crashing less frequently) but not “fixed”

Roon have crash like 5min after the update, nothing change for me…

Problem solved. I’m using my new iPad Mini 6 to control Roon Nucleus.

Roon is unusable on Dell XPS 15 now.

2 Likes

More confirmation 970 failed to address my issue.
Memory usage this morning (after shutting it down last night) is hovering in the higher 3G range (instead of high 1’s and low 2G as it was yesterday best case) and i had another crash (this time i did not maximize the existing window).

1 Like

New build has reduced the frequency of my Windows client crashes by a decent amount, but it still hangs a few times a day, and when it hangs now it often required task manager restart.

So 970 has not completely fixed this for me either.

3 Likes

I concur. Per chance do you look at your memory usage on the core? if so, do you see large fluctuations and any correlation with the app hanging? If so, what is your ave memory use for roon? Over the past two days (since “upgrading”) mine has fluctuated between high 1g and high 3g.

1 Like

RAM usage heavily depends upon the library size, so this is not directly comparable between users without at least this data point.

It also will go up when batch processes are running on the core, like processing the local Tidal and/or Qobuz libraries, metadata updates, etc.

I have currently about 226.000 indexed tracks in my library, and startup RAM usage is about 5,2 GB… this can go down to 4,1 GB while playing music and doing nothing else… Heavy use of the system, like repeated searches, navigating along the links, saving albums into the library, deleting albums etc., will increase RAM usage. But this tends to go down again. When my Core is processing batch processes, RAM usage can go up above 8 GB… and will again go down later…

So you shouldn’t really be obsessed with RAM usage… let it run and do its thing. Another story altogether is ever increasing memory usage because of a leak, but that is easily distinguished from ‘normal’ RAM increases.

2 Likes

I know I’m late to this thread, but have had the same problem for weeks. I’m updating everything whenever prompted, running a dedicated Nucleus+ and I’m still freezing pretty much whenever I reach the end of an album. For me, that seems to be the biggest trigger to fail (I don’t like Roon Radio so don’t let it continue)

I use a QNAP core and I’ve never managed to correlate a memory usage spike with these crashes.

However I have seen many different types of memory leak on the core over the last couple of years. For a while my Roon process would start at 1-2GB and climb up to 15-16GB before crashing.

At the moment my Roon process sits between 2-3GB.

I can well believe this is memory related as memory leaks seem to be a blindspot for Roon developers.

1 Like

Thanks, i was hoping to find this documented somewhere or support provide an answer but very much appreciate you took the time to educate me.
My library is only 175k so what you state for your memory makes me think mine is inline and normal.
I dont use any services and only stream from my personal library.
So the correlation between the app hanging and high memory is just due to my insufficient sample size, it appears.

Well, in my experience there is a correlation between memory usage and sluggishness or even a hanging control app, but maybe an indirect one. By longtime monitoring my Roon Core I have observed that every time the core runs one of the heavy batch processes, the user interface becomes sluggish or less responsive. While at that time RAM usage increases on the server, I am not sure that this effect really has to do with memory or rather with the processor being tasked… But, eventually these processes end, and thing go back to normal. And, of course, the bigger the library, the longer these processes run.

I am running the core on Linux, and since Roon server was ported to .NET, it behaves much better. While still based on Mono, the memory management was much worse and did require to repeatedly restar the server process. Not anymore.

With 175k tracks indexed in your library, your reported RAM usage seems rather on the low side to me. I think that there is nothing to worry about, just let the system work and enjoy your music.

Thanks.
While slightly better than before the 970 update, the software is still broken for my use case. Having to regularly restart the server, the core software or my desktop app is something that eliminates the ability to enjoy the music and instead focus on finding a solution so i can spend time listening.

1 Like

The 970 patch hasn’t resolved my issue either. I ran Roon Core originally in an Ubuntu docker for over a year without issue then had this problem recently. Posted on the forum for help and was instructed to move to a supported platform for Roon Core. I moved to a stand alone instance of Roon Core via bare metal Ubuntu and also on a NUC via ROCK with the same problem (Android Roon end point software seems to work ok).

I had originally posted this on a separate thread, but it locked before I could report back my results then came across this one so it appears to be a systemic issue regardless of the OS Roon Core runs on. Just reporting my findings and hoping a fix is implemented soon as I do enjoy this software when its working well.

If you still have problems with running your Core on Ubuntu, I’d recommend you open a fresh support thread. Something must be wrong. I am running on ‘bare metal’ Ubuntu server, and Roon Core is very stable indeed!

Yes, something systemic is awry based on the number of users posting on this thread with this problem. Roon Core runs fine on my end in all instances and had for over a year. It’s the Roon endpoint UI that many users on this thread are having issues with across different OS’.

I had a mod respond to my locked thread just now, but don’t see a way to respond back. I could start another thread, but that seems redundant over just unlocking my prior thread since both parties are now actively posting about it.

2 Likes

Hi @Noris,

though I installed the .NET 6.0 Desktop Runtime using the link you provided roon still appears to be using the 4.8 version. What do I need to do to have roon using the 6.0 version as I’m really frustrated with the frequent freezes&crashes on Win 10 - always in .NET (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll)?

I don’t know why, but Roon on Windows (as control device) is working better for me today. No issues.

EDIT: Still no issues 3 hours later. Roon memory usage has stayed in the 1300’s.

I asked this same question days ago and never received a reply. I am interested in hearing what the answer is since that is always a point of contention if you dont have it up to date.

OK, this is getting beyond ridiculous. Just completely locked up Dell again. Had to kill Roon with Task Manager. Roon memory usage was climbing rapidly and reached over 4000mb by the time I shut it down.

I’m switching back to Audirvana until someone does something about this.

1 Like