Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

Unfortunately this update doesn’t solve my problem.
After minimizing the screen I still get a frozen screen and after that Roon crashes.

3 Likes

Been having this issue for a couple months. Same as most have described. Roon freezes for 10-20 seconds and sometimes I have to use task manager to close it. It’s certainly not the end of the world but definitely annoying when someone comes into the room and I can’t properly stop or pause whatever is playing.

1 Like

Exactly what I am experiencing on Dell XPS 15. Started with 952 and continues with 970.

The memory leak IS NOT resolved.

1 Like

I am having the same issues reported here. No problems with Roon for three years and then a month or so back freezes and crashes constantly. It sometimes takes three or four attempts to start back up as it will crash in the middle of a restart. Highly frustrating and had made me start questioning whether I should be looking around for an alternative. At this point the Roon user experience is underwhelming and enjoying music using Roon is near impossible.

2 Likes

But, i thought i read this was resolved?

1 Like

FWIW, i haven’t gotten a crash or freeze or big stall since i’ve updated my core and all clients to build 970, 3 days now

I have a dedicated NUC10 i7 for roon rock and 6270 tracks in library, mix of local and tidal .

First hours after updating roon core where frustrating but since then its running pretty stable

1 Like

Still having the occasional crash after updates to 970. Much less than before.
Sometimes when the laptop comes out of sleep Roon freezes/crashes.

I have had at least half dozen crashes / freezes over the weekend /holiday

Not sure if this will help others but I noticed that when I leave Roon in the background on my Windows PC (Roon Server is running on a NAS) it doesn’t crash when I don’t select the NVIDIA HD audio which is using my desktop speakers. Any other audio out works just fine and even using ‘System Output’ which also uses the NVIDIA works fine. So there clearly is some correlation to the NVIDIA drivers
in play…

I have my core on a Surface Laptop running Windows 11 with 16GB RAM and an 11th i7-11370H CPU.

Lately if you leave core playing uninterrupted for a while, when you try use the interface, Core crashes. It’s been doing it now for a few days, always after been playing music for a while and one attempting to use the interface. I checked Windows event viewer for errors and found several Event 1000, application error with the following details:

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x628687e5
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.8.4515.0, time stamp: 0x624ce98e
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000000b6b4
Faulting process id: 0x2fc4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d877858b6a601c
Faulting application path: C:\Users\deryk\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Report Id: b652dc67-002e-4628-837a-e40c24935b29
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I uninstalled and reinstalled Roon and so far I have not had any errors.

What could be causing Roon to crash when you try to use the interface after being playing for a bit?

Roon Core Machine

Server, 64 gigs ram 24 cores

Networking Gear & Setup Details

All Unifi hardwired

Connected Audio Devices

Lots

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

ON windows 11 roon (just acting as a remote control) hangs after a period of time. The screen is still there but nothing can be clicked and eventually it says not responding. Seems to be getting worse for me.

Sometimes, just sometimes it recovers itself more often after trying to click it, it will eventually crash out.

1 Like

Hi Gareth,

Just a fellow user, to clarify.

1. You are running RoonServer on a Windows 11 PC (Pro/Home?)
  2. You have a different PC running Windows 11 (Pro/Home?) and Roon as a client to the other Windows 11 PC. (What are the specs for this PC?)
  1. No server is running on unraid
  2. Yes I have a pc all that roon is doing on that is picking music to play from an endpoint (not the pc), its on this pc that roon keeps flaking.

This pc is core i7 11th series, 32 gigs ram, all SSD, rtx 3080.

So, RoonServer is running on an Unraid OS PC? Was RoonServer installed via the Linux RoonServer install or a docker image?

Docker. HAs been this way for around 3 years

Gareth,

Have you checked the log on your server about hard drive error? like bad sectors and such.
It sounds very much like the trouble I’ve had. Found out I have to replace a HDD.
Good luck troubleshooting!

This is not the problem. The problem is the app in windows 11. Unarid shows 100% clean on my drives.
If it was server side I would expect my iphone, macs etc all to have issues but they don’t just the app on windows 11. And all it is used for is selecting music to play from another end point, its not under pressure.

Have you looked at the logs both under the RoonServer and the client for clues. Also, in Event Viewer in Windows, to see if there is a clue there as to the hang.

How do I look at client logs?

Client logs are usually to be found in:

C:\Users\<yourUserName>\AppData\Local\Roon\Logs