Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

2 crashes and 5 freezes today. All while playing music

1 Like

I don’t know why, but I haven’t had any freeze up’s in a few days. I have gotten a few Intel driver updates lately.

1 Like

I have had only two crashes but dozens of freezes over the past 24-48 hours. This is a reduction of crashes but an increase in freezes. The freezes last much longer than before, now ranges 5-30 seconds before the screen unfreezes before it rarely ever lasted more than a few seconds

Mine just froze for about 10 or 12 seconds. Didn’t crash.

My Windows 10 Roon control just froze then crashed. Time for a solution.

1 Like

2 crashes and 6 freezes today.
Freezing and crashing almost always are initiated by resuming from a minimized position

1 Like

Alas my good time is over, its back to freezing. Also same on Macbook now on that ecosystem. Such a shame.

1 Like

Still getting random crashes and freezes here, Windows 11 box. The recent “fixes” in the builds have had no effect for me.

Given the (fairly) infrequent responses from support about this, I’m wondering if there is a big Roon 2.0 release on the imminent horizon which is taking development time away from fixing what are probably perceived as minor bugs such as this.

1 Like

Never mind. This didn’t work.

1 Like

Yeah I think there’s a consensus that the problem is graphics card related. However, for those of us with only one graphics card this fix unfortunately isn’t available.

I tried this and it did nothing for me so that leads me to doubt there being a consensus about it being the solution. If it worked for you, feel pleased that your problem has been fixed. Not everyone is so fortunate

Using the less powerful embedded video card doesn’t seem a feasible solution to me.

Roon Core Machine

QNAP NAS TS-453D 5.0.0.2055 8GB RAM 4 spindle raid 5 with 2Tb ssd front end cache
There are no zones configured on Core for audio output.

Roon Server
Version : 1.8 (build 988) stable
QPKG-Version : 2021-10-03
ffmpeg :
Database
1% of 931.51 GB used.

All music is stored on NAS in a dedicated volume with cache acceleration enabled.
6.31TB used 0.940GB free
Total files: 101,451
Audio files: 86,065
Image files: 15,352
Video files: 33

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ISP router
Edgerouter4
Cisco switch
NAS dual-port team NIC bond lacp
Client dual-port NIC IntelProset Team bond lapc

Connected Audio Devices

Creative Labs AE-9 Analog connected to Mu-SoQb Gen2 analog input port.
Roon is configured with a local zone to the AE-9 analog and is the daily driver configuration for this system.

Direct Mode: PCM 16-bit / 44.1, 48.0, 88.2, 96.0, 192.0, 384 kHz, PCM 24-bit / 44.1, 48.0, 88.2, 96.0, 192.0, 384 kHz, PCM 32-bit / 44.1, 48.0, 88.2, 96.0, 192.0, 384 kHz, DSD64 (2.8 MHz)

USB Topping D90 ASIO
JRiver client & server are running often but never use the sound device

Topping, AE-9 and NVidia graphics drivers are up to date.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon Windows 11 client closes for no reason and no message is displayed. The following is recorded on occurrence in the System log.

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62c5f2b8
Faulting module name: System.Core.ni.dll, version: 4.8.4515.0, time stamp: 0x624cf626
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x00000000003444c7
Faulting process id: 0x8e14
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8994878825793
Faulting application path: C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\System.Core\a737f3eeae73b756d3851b2550f1c683\System.Core.ni.dll
Report Id: 789f9ff7-c789-472e-8f0d-15fb3515298e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

There are no performance issues between this client workstation and the NAS. NAS grinding or memory busting is also not present as I have never seen the CPU being over ~80% even when client backups are running overnight. I have detailed trends if any correlation to the client crash time are required.

Note: This workstation runs a lot of software including vmware workstation so I am ok if you tell me it is not supported. This crash is silent and does not affect my system stability which is most important! :slight_smile:

I am having this issue with Windows 11 running Roon Core, cannot restore backups either, anyone find a fix for this yet?

The only way I can get this to work is if I uninstall, remove the old database and settings, and reinstall.

Any help would be appreciated. I have the logs handy, not sure how to update them however.

My RoonRemote is still cumbersomely frozen on Windows 11 as of July 16, 2022. I am constantly updating Windows and RoonRemote and it is always up to date (RoonVersion:1.8 build988).
None of my other software, such as games or browser, freezes, only RoonRemote. When it freezes, there is block noise on the display and only the RoonRemote screen crashes.
This phenomenon has been consistent since the introduction of Windows 11 until now.
When will Roon stop freezing in Windows 11?

2 Likes

Same here. I am very annoyed. It crashed 2 times in 15 minutes just now while browsing the app and playing music. Fix this or I want my money back. This is unusable when it keeps crashing.

3 Likes

Roon just crashed 2 times in 15 minutes just now while browsing the app and playing music. Fix this please, because this happens daily. The app is unusable when it keeps crashing.
It can not handle playing music and browsing the app at the same time. This crash also happens when you leave the app minimized for a longer time while playing music.

4 Likes

Roon crashes before the first song finishes playing, I’ve never previously experienced this issue. I’m able to skip to the next, previous song an pause though the rest of the interface is unresponsive. I also notice the screen font changes when it crashes. Accessing roon via my bluos streamer works flawlessly.

Sadly, its not just windows 11 that freezes and crashes your computer.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Windows Crashing with NVIDIA HD Audio