Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

Sorry to report 970 doesn’t stop my Roon Core crashes. Same as before, minimized comes up and bombs out. As other’s said, seemed like it crashed quicker.

Event Log

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62a332af
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.8.4510.0, time stamp: 0x62461f56
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000000b3a4
Faulting process id: 0x3ab4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d880102f59c38a
Faulting application path: C:\Users\minky\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Report Id: e21af0ad-6624-4793-a6d7-ea34d3e39584
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Sort of a mixed bag after being forced to uninstall and reinstall the core due to the corrupt install that occurred when updating.
So far, in about an hour of playing, i have not had a crash on the remote the other than its initial turn on after uninstall and reinstall of roon core software.
Disappointed to have to report my memory usage has not changed and is well beyond what i had seen in the past and what others are reporting. I am currently using (now and before the update) around 3.8G +/- 10% (with peaks above 9G) and this is without playing anything or using dsp (both of which dont seem to affect the memory usage number which seems odd).

Roon is working again for me - by only installing the server part on machine mentioned in previous post. The latest build keeps running, so thats a definite heads up! Will keep on testing using multiple clients.

So far its still freezing/lagging for me after the update. I am either not as sensitive to this issue as other users or its not as bad on my machine, but it does happen.

Roon does “catch up” and it doesn’t crash, but it freezes for 5 - 20 secs.

1.) It does not really have relation to minimizing / maximizing the app, I’ve noticed it both ways. It just has to do with me not doing anything with Roon and music is playing in the background for a while.
2.) I haven’t tested this. My Roon sits in now playing/track listings 99% of the time.

Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 Ghz
16 GB Ram
Radeon Vega 8 graphics

2 Likes

Still seeing the same behavior in the Windows app. Leaving it alone while music is playing will eventually result in it becoming unresponsive for 5-10 seconds… or even crashing. My server (which runs on Linux) is unaffected, continues playing music and can be controlled by my smartphone.

2 Likes

I just noticed that my roonserver on my Windows Server wasn’t working and stumbled across this thread.

This is the error that I’m seeing:

Application: RoonServer.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.TypeLoadException
at Sooloos.App.InitPing()
at Sooloos.App.Init()
at Sooloos.App.Main(System.String[])

Is there a known fix to this? I can’t get Roon to start at the moment due to this. It immediately terminates when I try to run it.

---- EDIT -----

My issue is resolved.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roonserver-exe-immediately-crashes-windows/204039/12

It was fine last night after update. However, it start freezing again the next day.

I would suggest opening a new support thread filling in all the requested information.

The last update seems to have fixed this for me so far

1 Like

Hi All , I have the same issues described here but is new to me. Now I’m using a mini PC to run the Core but when I used the Core with my surface I don’t have the issue…

yes same , after minimise, crashes roon randomly ! getting very annoying! SUPPORT PLEASE HELP

2 Likes

Start your own thread in the support category and fill in the system information requested

I had the first crash of the day. Played for 3-4 hours continuously without crashing.
I have been monitoring memory usage since this issue started and noticed the correlation between crashing and memory usage… After starting Roon this morning, memory fell to its lowest usage level since i have been monitoring at under 2G. For the second time since updating to 970 Roon just crashed (after enlargening the app window) and checking memory i see that it is now back above 3.5G usage on the core.
Neither of the problems that were supposedly fixed in 970 have been fixed for me. It does though, appear as if it is less bad (crashing less frequently) but not “fixed”

Roon have crash like 5min after the update, nothing change for me…

Problem solved. I’m using my new iPad Mini 6 to control Roon Nucleus.

Roon is unusable on Dell XPS 15 now.

2 Likes

More confirmation 970 failed to address my issue.
Memory usage this morning (after shutting it down last night) is hovering in the higher 3G range (instead of high 1’s and low 2G as it was yesterday best case) and i had another crash (this time i did not maximize the existing window).

1 Like

New build has reduced the frequency of my Windows client crashes by a decent amount, but it still hangs a few times a day, and when it hangs now it often required task manager restart.

So 970 has not completely fixed this for me either.

3 Likes

I concur. Per chance do you look at your memory usage on the core? if so, do you see large fluctuations and any correlation with the app hanging? If so, what is your ave memory use for roon? Over the past two days (since “upgrading”) mine has fluctuated between high 1g and high 3g.

1 Like

RAM usage heavily depends upon the library size, so this is not directly comparable between users without at least this data point.

It also will go up when batch processes are running on the core, like processing the local Tidal and/or Qobuz libraries, metadata updates, etc.

I have currently about 226.000 indexed tracks in my library, and startup RAM usage is about 5,2 GB… this can go down to 4,1 GB while playing music and doing nothing else… Heavy use of the system, like repeated searches, navigating along the links, saving albums into the library, deleting albums etc., will increase RAM usage. But this tends to go down again. When my Core is processing batch processes, RAM usage can go up above 8 GB… and will again go down later…

So you shouldn’t really be obsessed with RAM usage… let it run and do its thing. Another story altogether is ever increasing memory usage because of a leak, but that is easily distinguished from ‘normal’ RAM increases.

2 Likes