Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

Agreed thanks guys for describing so well
Like all of you, this was fine for a year. Nothing has changed in my setup either. Obviously in the same boat as all of you. Disappointing given how good roon has been previously

2 Likes

You can add my name to the list of this fault. Typically only crashes once every 24 hours. Core is running on a dedicated NUC. I have to restart the core to get it working again. It’s an issue because we use roon to feed both of our kids sleep playlists. So if it crashes just before bedtime I’m in trouble!

Some small comfort that so many others are having the same issue. This is only been happening since the last update. Hopefully this gets resolved soon.

2 Likes

I think the freezing problem is a Build 952 issue. The Windows client is either loosing connection with Roon core (Nucleus in my case) or there is a graphics issue, IMHO.

2 Likes

Jim, my data says otherwise.
I had not “upgraded” to 952 when this started for me. I was still on a prior version

2 Likes

This is ridiculous, Roon has frozen and crashed 4 times in the last 60 minutes.
@support
It is unusable until it is fixed.
I realize i cant get my money back but i will demand an extension for the period of time it has broken until it is fixed. How does one accomplish this?

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Macmini 5,1 Core (2011) shutting down repeatedly

Just chiming in to say that I experience this issue as well.

Hey @cd_gibson,

We totally understand that you’re frustrated by the crashing behavior you’re experiencing, we are too. But, moving forward, you need to pause and reassess your posts before hitting reply - especially if you’re going to continue posting falsehoods, contradictory statements, or insults aimed at other users or support staff.

First, the post below is categorically false. The team has been investigating this issue in depth since these reports emerged. We’ve collected, and reviewed, numerous log sets. Tech Support, QA, and the Dev team have had daily meetings to discuss those findings. Noris has updated this thread and asked additional questions to support or oppose our latest theories. In some cases, updates weren’t provided if we were uncertain that the theory was the actual cause.

Secondly, your initial report was posted in Roon Software. When other customers offered to move your thread to support, or help, you insulted them.

When we first suspected the underlying issue was a problem with Windows OS and provided suggestions, you said you weren’t looking for help and implied that I didn’t even read your report, to add to your previous sarcasm that support doesn’t care about customer issues, or ever respond to your reports.

Lastly, the moderators have already received numerous complaints about your posts and have lobbied you to be respectful and civil. A request that you have flatly ignored.

So we have a few things happening:

You’re needlessly raising the temperature and stirring up discontent by implying that we’re not taking action. We absolutely are investigating the issue and trying to find a solution. Please stop saying otherwise and undermining our effort.

You’re making contradictory statements about your support needs and arguing with other customers and staff. Do you want help or not? I’d say, based on your numerous daily posts, that you do in fact want/need support. Stop trash-talking and bickering with the people who are trying to help you.

Make no mistake, that’s not a request. Stop.

We get that your issue is frustrating. We understand that it’s souring your satisfaction and experience with Roon. You don’t want that, we don’t want that. We’re on the same side, despite what you may think.

You know what else is ridiculous? Having to stop working on a solution to this issue, and essentially penalize the other dozen or so respectful customers who are also dealing with this, to revisit this thread and ask that you stop misery-bombing the report thread. We’re trying to resolve this, and instead, we have to halt that effort to address your conduct on the forum.

Because there’s ample evidence that my requests fall well outside your capacity to comply, your ability to post has been suspended through the weekend. Your access to the board is still in place and you may visit this thread to see any updates we provide.

Upon your return, you will adhere to every point in our Forum Guidelines or you will be banned from the forum for a month. Any missteps after that will result in permanent expulsion. I hope this is abundantly clear and understood. We look forward to your cooperation. Thank you.

11 Likes

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

You can add my name to the list as well. Usually happens every 24 hours.

Hey @Brian_Scott,

We’re sorry to hear that you’re also dealing with this issue. Would you please add your details to the template that I added to your post? Thanks!

Roon locked up my Dell XPS 15 again. Finally, got message that program was not responding.

As one of the earliest reporters of this problem, my thanks to those who have also posted that you’ve had similar experiences. While we don’t yet have a solution, good to know that this is now actively being looked into.

Some have suggested that this is a very recent issue (last few weeks). That is obviously not my experience. I reported this on 22 April, and I had been logging my crashes trying to find a pattern from 12 April. I’ve done a search through Windows Event Viewer and found a first Roon crash was reported on 24 March, but then the next report not until 12 April. I had many crashes in the interim (hence I started to take notes from 12 April), but these hadn’t been captured by Event Viewer.

Similar to others, I followed the instructions to update .Net and it reported that I was on the latest version. And the Windows Events are referencing issues with v4.0 – these from today’s error report:
LoadedModule[13]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscoreei.dll
LoadedModule[16]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
LoadedModule[32]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clrjit.dll
LoadedModule[78]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\wminet_utils.dll
LoadedModule[146]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\diasymreader.dll

Looking at my Windows updates in case these introduced a problem, there was a Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 11 installed on 23 Feb and Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 11 installed on 13 April. Several general W11 updates in that period as well.

My responses to @noris’s questions below.

Happy to provide any other info that might help.
Brad

1. Does the hang have any relation to minimizing / maximizing the Roon app or does it occur while in use?

In my experience, there is not a clear relationship with minimising/maximising or re-focusing on Roon.

Just today, the Roon window was in the background, not playing, as I was working through various MS Office apps. When I finished my work, I noticed Roon had crashed, without any sort of interaction.

Last week, I tried opening Roon in a virtual desktop all by itself, left maximised and playing. While back in the main desktop working, Roon crashed in the virtual desktop.

Also, reiterating my earlier report, there have been times when Roon has crashed on waking the PC from sleep. Of course, this might be a variation of re-focusing on the Roon window.

1. When the hang occurs, what is the last active window of Roon? Are you on Now Playing, Queue, My Albums, or another view?

To be honest, I’ve not taken close notice of this. I do know that it has happened while on the Home window and a playlist window.

1. What is your CPU/GPU information? If you can submit screenshots of your Windows System Information System Summary and Display Tab, that would be helpful:

Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-9500 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product ROG STRIX B360-I GAMING

1. Are there any common patterns to the hang, does it occur after any repeatable sequence of actions or looking at any views in particular?

Early on, I was keeping track of what I did immediately before a hang and crash. When there didn’t appear to be a pattern, I stopped keeping track. Here were a few of my notes:

Date What happened immediately before crash
12 April Switching windows from Roon to PPT while playing to PC
14 April 1703 Selecting output
21 April 1035 Selecting Roon
21 April 1135 On selecting Roon and stopping play
21 April ~2200 Unknown – wake from sleep? (WOL)
30 April 1316 Switching to Roon while closing Solitaire – no memory spike
6 June, 10:10 switching to MS Outlook, Roon on virtual desktop, open to Home screen
8 June ~15:0 not playing, not sure if minimised, switching btn PPT, Outlook, Edge
2 Likes

I reported this in another thread as a memory leak. I am still convinced that is the case. It started with the 952 build. It is likely not a .NET version or graphics driver issue. There is something in your code that is holding objects and not releasing them.

I am running a simple test today. I have Roon running on the core (Dell i7 16 Gb, all QoBuz) where it has worked fine for 3 years up until last month. I have 18 audio devices but have none of them playing right now. The memory in Task Manager is 900+ Mb which is not much at all. I do question why the CPU and GPU are so active even though nothing is playing on any end point.

If I use and end point to start playback on one of the audio devices, the memory footprint slowly increases. As it gets real large, the music will often skip and the end point display will be slow. Once the memory reaches a threshold, in my case that is about 10+ Gb, the end point will freeze and say it can’t connect to the core. If I restart the end point, it can’t find the core.

I then go back to the core machine and the Roon windows is essentially locked and will not shut down correctly. I can force it to shut down using Task Manager. It will then start up OK and repeat the cycle.

So, the question is, what code changes were made in 952 that might grab memory and not release during playback? Focus your testing there.

FWIW, I am a Microsoft MVP and help maintain very large web sites for a living. I know memory leaks and how to triage. Please let us know how we can do focused testing to get this resolved. I cannot even use Roon anymore because of this issue.

3 Likes

Are you using Roon or RoonServer on the machine which is your core?

As having used and still do Roon on Windows with many different PCs simultaneously. I have been trying to recreate this issue and not succeeding.

Just wanted to add that I’m experiencing the exact same issue. Roon Core is running on a Windows 11 machine.

I realize there seem to be a bunch of threads on this so I won’t add to the noise, but thought I would add to the “affected # of customers count” in case it helps. I can also provide any additional info as needed by the Roon team.

Thanks,

Vog

Nearly every time this issue occurs I had the Roon application minimized and I’m maximizing it to pause/play or change what’s playing. It takes about 5 seconds or so for it to become responsive again. (Very infrequently it will crash.)

I’m pretty much always on a track listing of an Album or the Queue.

NOTE: I run a virtualized instance on Windows 11 on Proxmox with GPU passthrough. I’m only using the Roon app for control. Roon Server runs on a separate LXC container and will never stop playing music when the app hangs/crashes.

Untitled picture

Just as mentioned above. Leave the app minimized for an extended period of time and when you return to it, it’s unresponsive. (Or in rare instances, crashes.)

I am running Roon on Windows 10. That machine is in our office and only used sparingly for other user applications. I control it from other Windows 11 machines and Android phones. All but the phones are wired connections.

Clearly there are a number of users with the same issue. Who can we talk to in support that can work with us on the root cause?

1 Like

Please check your memory footprint for the Roon Server. My guess is that it keeps growing and fails after some threshold.

As an fyi, you can run RoonServer instead on that machine, and then install Roon as a client on the same box. This allows you not to have a GUI program running all the time when you don’t need to, as the server version just runs in the background…

I have my windows RoonServer setup that way.

That adds little value to my general usage pattern. It worked fine on the same server for 3.5 years.

I am running more detailed tests right now trying to isolate the issue. I am monitoring Private Bytes and Virtual Bytes for the Roon process using Performance Monitor. I also have Task Manager open to see total memory and processor impact on the machine.

Here is a sample: