Roon keeps on freezing

@support,

after playing for a while roon just freezes.
this is getting past a joke.

take roon of laptop reload , no go just stuck on same track it freezes on. after a few hours it may start again.
this plus, roon keeping on losing remote connection, it getting hard to put up with.
life member.

nuc i7 16 g ram 250 Samsung ssd pro, remotes , it seems to freeze on win 10 pro, have hp desktop which just will not load roon at all,win 10, htc m9 roon is frozen, this just roon fault have roon playing to 2 end point both frozen.

so no music again tonite for guest, not a good look for roon, back to sonos for me at least it works, but i have a ps audio dac as other end point which means i can not use my high end gear … why does this keep on happening , why?

Hi, @paul_osullivan, thanks for the report, may I ask you to describe your setup here, network topology?

And also could you please follow a procedure here and send us logs from your core machine. I’ll contact you via Private Message with more details. Thanks!

–
Ivan

Hi Ivan - here is the link the my roon logs folder paul_osullivan.zip. We have the ROCK on a NUC lan-connected on our network, PS Jr is also LAN connected. What other information do you need

Hi @paul_osullivan ----- Thank you for touching base with us, confirming that your logs have been received.

Moving forward, I have placed your logs in our queue to be evaluated by a member of our tech team. Once my report has been updated with their feedback, I will be sure to follow up with their thoughts/findings asap.

Furthermore, you mentioned the following:

“take roon of laptop reload , no go just stuck on same track it freezes on. after a few hours it may start again.”

Is the same track causing this behavior every time on the mentioned laptop?

Lastly, looking at @Ivan 's response to your post, I see he had asked about your network topology. Can you please expand on your description and let us know the make and model of the device involved?

-Eric

Topology;
Nuc7- i7 bnh 7th gen, 8G DDR4 ram 2133mHz; Samsung 960 evo 250G running rock.
Lan to hp switch hp 1410-24 g
Lan to hp prolaint mirco server running windows home server- all music stored here in flac, wav , hi res , dsd – as well as photos, movies , some documents.
Using both spotify and tidal to sonos and tidal to roon, ( ps audio DSj )
Lan fully wired house – to many endpoints ,oppo 105,smart tv ,Roku boxes (2) pvrs(2), etc
End points for roon – sonos, ps audio DSj
Asus RT ac870 router, and a extender - netgear
Internet- cable .
Remotes are; asus laptop (1) running win 10 pro, hp desktop running win 10, asus laptop(2) running win 7 pro, all lan connected, sony tablet android 7, sony xz premium, htc m9. All on android 7, Samsung tablet.
Both asus laptops are also used for work, so have sometimes connect to work server.
It seems that on LAPTOP (1) I have roon not working at times, and removing roon and reloading seems to fix , or going to remove programs and removing cache and reloading seems to work., I had my work it tech person fix this once , when I could not open roon at all just got frozen screen, and removing reloading just did not work…think he empty cashe ; when roon freezes the play line just running back and forth and cant get anywhere . all remote are then the same .

Next fault ; - on roon remote that are wireless, I quite often get looking for remote library , can not find library; lost connection; some times phone or tabet connect strait away sometimes it takes for ever, sometimes it drops out . it does seem to be better if for example you leave one remote contacted all the time , but reaity is that with a smart phone it going to with the owner ell the time , so therefore connecting and disconnecting from roon all the time. I quiet often have to go to wired ( lan connected) laptop (1) to start roon, and once it has started and song playing , wireless remotes seem to pick up. This must have something to do with roon handshake with wireless net work , or with roon itself, and I see this on forum all the time.
Does roon have some sort of fault or crash data that could be sent back to roon headquarters , at regular times so you could see in real time what sort of problems users are getting so roon tech team could sort – cause there are people out there whom just give up , and I would every much like to see roon work, and work well all the time.
Note-; the quality of tidal roon ps audio DSj is so good, it is a game changer. Tidal on roon is not quite the same as tidal on laptop, or phone , can roon make this the same – your own playlist are not exactly the same .history not on roon/ tidal.
I do know that I may have a bit different set up than some , but the whole idea is that all data ( music moives photos are in common storage) and can be accessed by any end point at any time – I can play and flac / wav file from server to sonos, (lan only) and the same plus up to dsds to oppo 105 .
Thanks
paul

Hi @paul_osullivan ---- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested feedback. It seems as though you are suffering from general performance problems, based on the amount of device you claim are exhibiting these behaviors. If our team is to try and offer some advice on how to improve the functionality of your Roon setup, we will need to have a better understanding of exactly what the “failure(s) look like” and what “steps” you have taken thus far in addressing these issues on the mentioned devices.

From my previous post:

Furthermore, you mentioned the following:

“take roon of laptop reload , no go just stuck on same track it freezes on. after a few hours it may start again.”

Is the same track causing this behavior every time on the mentioned laptop?

Network configuration/topology:
Based on your follow up, my understanding of what the “chain of communication” looks like in your home is as follows:

Router (Asus RT AC870) - > Ethernet - > HP Switch 1410-24G - > ethernet (x2) - > NUC (i7 Roon) & WIN Home Server (music) - > Ethernet out to your various endpoints.

• If I am not mistaken the mentioned HP switch is an unmanaged device, please confirm.

• You’ve mentioned that there is an extender present in the above configuration. Can you please verify the following:

• Where exactly it is sitting in the chain of communication.

• The make and model of this device.

1 - Remote devices having issues - Asus Laptops:

• Asus Laptop (Win10)(“Laptop #1”)
  • Asus Laptop (Win7 pro)(“Laptop #2”)

“I have roon not working at times, and removing roon and reloading seems to fix , or going to remove programs and removing cache and reloading seems to work., I had my work it tech person fix this once , when I could not open roon at all just got frozen screen, and removing reloading just did not work…think he empty cashe ; when roon freezes the play line just running back and forth and cant get anywhere . all remote are then the same .”

• So on these laptops the application is freezing, correct? Any error messages?

• Can you please provide the model of these devices?

2 - Remote devices having issues - HP Desktop (Win10):

• In regard to this device you mentioned the following:

“… have hp desktop which just will not load roon at all…”

• Please explain this behavior in further detail. What exactly do you see when the application “won’t load”? Do you get any error messages from Roon or the OS?
  • Can you please provide the model of this device?

3 - Android 7 based mobile devices:

• Sony Tablet (Android 7)
  • Sony XZ Premium (Android 7)
  • Samsung Tablet (Android 7)

When other users have reported issues with their remotes not connecting to their Roon core, we have found the following two tests have yielded mostly positive results. May I kindly ask you to please give the following a try:

TEST #1:

1. Shut down your Core
  2. Open Roon on your Remote
    Tip: If you are using a phone, make sure you keep it awake
  3. Roon should be on the “Searching For Core” screen
  4. Start up the Core

TEST #2:

1. Start up your Core
  2. Open Roon on your Remote
    Tip: If you are using a phone, make sure you keep it awake
  3. Kill the Roon app
    Tip: If you are using Android please go to Settings > Apps > Roon > Force Stop
  4. Restart Roon on on your Remote
  • HTC M9 (Android 7)

• For this device you mentioned that Roon is “frozen”. Please provide further insight into exactly what that means. Does the application not function at all? Does it function for a period of time and then stop?

General data gathering/troubleshooting tips:

• On your Android remote devices - since noticing the mentioned behavior have you tried reinstalling our application ?

• On your Asus Laptops that are “freezing” - since noticing the mentioned behavior have you tried using our 32bit version of the application?

• You mention that you use some of your devices for work and access your “work server” from them. Are you making use of any active firewalls, antivirus applications, VPN, or proxy servers ANY WHERE on your network?

• Is there any chance that one of your remote devices is also acting like a core machine besides the NUC hosting Rock?

-Eric

@Eric,

is not the same track- the 1st time this happened i was loading a play list from both my collection and from tidal, i selected a track to play now , from tidal, and just froze , could switch zone but could not play any thing , turned rock/ nuc off, after a while was ok- i was working / remote from wired (lan ) laptop.

2nd time was doing similar , but on wireless phone , just picking track to play then went to next as it was not what i wanted , and going thru quickly. froze . same as above to get going. maybe going from track to track to quickly

network is router Asus RTac870 > switch, nuc> switch hp/ home server> switch; switch > to various end points ALL CAT5 CABLES no wireless at all.
wireless router to phones tablets .
wireless extender - netgear universal dual band extender wn2500rp- picks up wireless signal from asus router and amps it .
switch is unmanaged.

roon cant not find remote :

this is the big problem on going , roon freezing as it is bit embarrassing , if i switch core/ nuc and everything off , re start , it is back to normal.

what is really embarrassing if i am show off system / roon of or just have poeple over for party / dinner, and i have to go to wired laptop to search , play music , or play 1st track to get remotes to “hook up”
that is if remotes will not connect “looking for roon core” and i play a track on wired laptop, remotes (phone tablet, etc seem to pick up strait away.
i have no problem at all no matter what i use , as long as it is wired. i will take laptop of cable and try it wireless.( tested this , and as soon as laptop is wireless “looking for remote”)
with wireless remote - phone tablets - roon can not find remote is a common thing , but sometimes it will connect strat away., sometimes it will drop out and lose connection .
, than reconnects .

roon freezing . i have had on win 10 pro roon just unable to open - this was raised on forum , my it person fixed by removing , removing and renaming folder left behind in user profile.

test 1
first time this did not connect , waiting 5 min
re did test and connected i will keep this in mind and try again. after taking phone away from wireless network (to work) and come back ,same sometimes connects some times not . laptop wired no problem , remove lan cable and go wireless, no go.
htc m9 roon frozen - as explained above - roon i was able to everything but play any music , search , pick a track , but roon was struck on last track-not playing , so , blue line below track that shows how far thru the song is , just running back and forth . so if you picked a new track to play , this line normally would swing back to start , well this would just keep on swinging start to finish nothing playing , this has happened twice now. maybe picked a track , then went next to quick… on phones i have tried re install, i will do again, but if i restart phone it sometimes connects , sometimes if you wait 5 10 min i will connect , but that not good enough.
this something to do with how roon connects wirelesly

on same phone , same network, sonos connnect’s in a flash, never a problem., on same phone same network oppo app connects and i can see / read all files on server and play music . the same with laptop wireless, or tablet . i have no problem using a wireless remote app for anything else etc roon.

i am using 64 bit as win is 64 bit , i have loaded 34 bit on machine but no different .

so in brief every thing works fine BUT wireless handshake ,or connection is erratic at the best , only wireless remote.
we have a network setup typical of smart house or small business
thank you
regards
paul

Hi @paul_osullivan ---- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions/provide the requested feedback :thumbsup::clap:

Moving forward, the comment that jumped out at me immediately from your follow up is:

“I have no problem at all no matter what i use , as long as it is wired. i will take laptop of cable and try it wireless.( tested this , and as soon as laptop is wireless “looking for remote”)”

As you have already suspected, there indeed seems to be an issue when WiFi is being utilized with your Roon remotes and the goal should be to identify the variable(s) that cause this unwanted behavior in your setup.

This means our next step is really going to be network troubleshooting. I should be clear that this can take some time, but we do this regularly, and we are almost always able to pinpoint where the problem is, but it can require some patience. As most people will tell you, the most foolproof way to to determine what could be causing this behavior is process of elimination.

“network is router Asus RTac870 > switch, nuc> switch hp/ home server> switch; switch > to various end points ALL CAT5 CABLES no wireless at all. Wireless router to phones tablets . Wireless extender - netgear universal dual band extender wn2500rp- picks up wireless signal from asus router and amps it. Switch is unmanaged.”

My recommendation would be to remove as much complexity as possible, and confirm that things are stable. I would start with your NUC mounted directly to the mentioned Asus RTac870 with everything else disabled, temporarily of course.

If things are stable in that configuration (i.e the remotes are able to connect), you can add the additional networking hardware back in one at a time, to verify where things are succeeding and where they are failing.

If things are not stable in a simplified environment, please get back to me with the exact topology and what went wrong, as well as another set of logs – then we can get a better sense of what’s going on here, and start ruling out environmental factors, cables, hardware issues, bugs, etc. I’m sure we can figure this out so thanks in advance for your patience Paul!

-Eric

@Eric;

i just can not get roon to work all the time , as dicussed before it just is to unstable.
i have tried everything , and at wits end.
i am lost.
it has beaten me
i give up
i have thought of buying all new routers etc ; but everything else works , but roon , so i guess that that . how much time and money do i spend.
i will just have to put up with it.
i spent a lot of money on a ps audio dac , that has nothing to really run it but roon , and it keeps on an not finding remote.
may be on a single end point , from a single hard drive , maybe , but then why not just get a streamer that has user interface but it. good idea, great idea , but just does work seamlessly…
does roon have a server/ network etc at your office , do you music stored on your server, does roon work to several end points .
lost , beaten, disappointed
sorry but just can get it to work all the time , wireless, works fine on wired, expect when it freezes.
life member … paul

Hi @paul_osullivan ---- Thank you for reaching out to me, I appreciate the follow up.

I want you to know that myself, and the rest of the support team, respect and understand how frustrating these types of issues can be. I agree that the current state of your Roon setup is far from ideal and I am ready to work with you until we get things sorted out.

Please take into count though, that this make take time as you have a very extensive setup with multiple variables in play. Which is why in my last post, I proposed shrinking things down to the minimum and then slowly expanding back out. We have many users who are implementing various Roon remotes spanning across multiple operating system, with numerous endpoints scattered about their homes who are functioning as expected. So I am certain we can get this working for you as well.

Let me know what you think Paul and we can continue from there. Looking forward to hearing from you.
-Eric

hi Eric;
after feeling defeated, lost and not too bright for a while , , and after my IT person told me that extenders would not be causing any problems( they dont seem to be for anything else), i have turned all off except asus router for the last few weeks,and , so far have had around 98% hook up rate, after last update a few days ago i seem to be getting 99% ( maybe 100% but dont want to get to excited yet) hook up and no drop outs , no “can not find core issues” , so far ,.
i will wait a few more weeks before i get too excited , but looking promising .

so have all network as described above , except now don’t not have any netgear extenders.

i will place an mesh system in soon ( linksys , google or asus ) as now we can not get wi fi in all areas , but just checking to see all is good so far.
it seems that having router, with extenders was doing something , maybe messing signals up… do not know what but .
will up date on further progress .
thank you for your help and patience.

Thanks for touching base with me @paul_osullivan, I will be on the look out for your update!

-Eric

Eric;
still having trouble re waiting for remote core .
it is better than before , but , still loses core , drops out , and then finds after a while or takes a few minutes to find .
some times in takes for ever.
not as bad as before , but really not good enough.
have no trouble at all on WIRED/ lan connected remotes , just anything that is wireless.
this seems to be a problem with roon.
it is better than before , a lot better , but still sometimes very very very frustrating.

Hi @paul_osullivan ---- Thank you for getting in touch, hope all has been well!

The last we left off dealing with this behavior it seemed that the mentioned extenders were causing the issue as when they were disabled the behavior seemed to get better. You also had mentioned that you were considering a “mesh system” was that ever put into place?

-Eric

hi eric / all ;
have roon working like a treat now that is remote hook up.
have changed to a commercial grade cisco - meraki mr33 wireless network in our house and roon hooks up instantly.
so form this the following must apply -
roon remote app needs a "better " wireless network than most apps.
our house is a bit hard on wireless networks as it is a commercial type construction - RC concrete walls , RC surpended concrete floors , and structial steel.
other apps work , but not on all areas.
since we place 2 meraki both wired ( LAN cable ) i have had zero problems at all . perfect .
so now have the best music software/ management system and it hooks up in a flash.

so roon is the only thing i use now , roon pulling wav flac, dsd files from our server and roon and tidal.
thank you for a great product , keep up good work.
could you add bandcamp app?
regards paul

2 Likes

Thanks for the update @paul_osullivan it is very appreciated! I am pleased to hear that things are functioning as expected and are stable. Great news!

We have a few threads open on the community site with other Roon user’s inquiring about bandcamp integration with Roon (links listed below). I would suggest adding your feedback as this is best way for our DEV team to gauge the demand on a feature request.

"Bandcamp integration (or just their metadata scraping)

“Bandcamp integration”

Happy listening!
-Eric