Roon Keeps Quitting

I just purchased a new Mac mini that is running the latest version of Big Sur. Mac mini (M1, 2020) macOS Big Sur version 11.1). 8 gb ram and 500 gb SSD.

I transferred my Roon core to this new mac mini. It is the latest version of Roon. Version 1.7 (build 710) stable. Roon is the only program I have or run on the Mac mini, which I purchased intending to use only to play my music files using Roon.

My music files are stored on an 8TB HHD connected with a USB cable to the Mac mini.

The Mac mini is connected by a USB cable to a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC.

It plays beautifully, but Roon keeps “quitting unexpectedly” after an hour or so of my launching it. It quits even when I am playing music.

I have called Apple and they assure me that I have all the settings right to make sure the hard drive does not go to sleep. Still, after about an hour or so, Room keeps quitting, again even when I am listening to music.

Why is this happening? What is the fix?

Hi @Jack_Cobetto,

Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? We’ll take a look at the logs and see if we can get a better idea of what’s occurring here.

Thanks!

I don’t want to sign up for Drop box. Is there another way to get you the Roon logs, which I have zipped per your instructions.

OK, I decided to use dropbox. Here is a link to the file. Please confirm that you have received it and are able to access the file.

Hello @Jack_Cobetto, so we can provide the team a better idea of what exactly is occurring during the crash, we are hoping you can provide the logs directly from the Mac. Please see the following steps:

Open Console.app (this is part of mac os x. You can command-spacebar and then type “console” to find it).

Then go into the “User Reports” section, and see if you can find any Roon crashes in there.

For any crashes, paste the contents into a text doc and then send that file over to use so we can take a look.

Can’t you provide any help or suggestions now? The set up is exactly as it was before except that I substituted a brand new mac mini with the latest operating system or an older mac mini. All I did was install the Roon core on it. It does nothing else. I simply can’t believe that I am the only one having this problem. What has helped others? Would it help if I reinstalled the Roon core?? How should I do that?

Was a solution found to this. I have a new mac mini with the M1 chia running the latest version of Big Sur. I has tried all the obvious settings on the mac mini, but Roon keeps quitting unexpectedly, even when i am listening to it, after about a hour or so.

OK, Here is drop box link to text files from my Mac mini for 10 recent crashes of Roon. The time of crash is set out the names of the text file. The Mac mini lists 14 more crashes for Roon. I can send those if needed, but it seems that 10 should be enough. Let me know.

Hello @Jack_Cobetto, please leave that link up for a bit as I have passed it over to the QA team. Also, can you tell me what process you used to migrate to the new core? Did you follow this guide or use a tool to migrate?

I followed the migration instructions in the guide you attached. To be precise, I originally ran the Roon core on an Mac mini that failed. So I put the Roon core on an iMac that I had in another room in my house. That worked fine. When I got the new Mac mini, I used the migration procedure that your message links to. At first it seemed to work OK, but that may be because when I am not listening to music, I would quit Roon and shut down the Mac mini. It was later when I was listening for longer periods, or leaving Roon running, that I noticed that Roon would “Quit Unexpectedly”. I seemed to be getting worse, but that may just be my perception based on my irritation.

If you think it might help, I could migrate Roon back to the iMac and then migrate it back to the Mac mini. I could delete and reinstall the Roon app on the mac mini before migrating it back. I want to get this fixed as soon as possible, bit will wait for your advice and instruction.

I would appreciate it if you could get address this promptly, hopefully this afternoon, and get back to me quickly.

@Jack_Cobetto How many tracks in your library…if its a full 8TB that might not be enough Ram (8GB) to cope with such a large library plus the OS overheads and shared Video RAM - see what the SWAP space is showing on Activity monitor. I had this issue with a 270K track library and returned the M1 Mini - also had issues with HDMI streaming of anything better than 16/48 bitrates.

There are about 190,000 “songs” in the my library- almost all classical music so some of the “songs” (movements) are quite long. I note that that for while I had Roon on my iMac that also has 8 GB of ram and it was working fine (as it was on my old mac mini (also 8 GB ram).

what is the SWAP info showing…

Grab 2020-12-17 at  16.52.57

Hi @Jack_Cobetto,

@nuwriy and I were looking things over and I believe for our next step we’re going to need to consult our QA team for additional feedback. We’ve scheduled a meeting with them and we’ll follow up as soon as we can!

Thank you for updating me Dylan.

Any news??? It has been a week since I told you about this problem and I don’t even have a suggestion on how to deal with this issue.

Oh never mind, I’ve decided to go in a different direction. This is amazingly poor service/support.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.