Roon keeps skipping thru tracks in rapid succession ...?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacBook Pro 2019, OS X 10.15.7 and latest Roon software

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet over electrical power line, 50-100mbs speed, and 10-20ms max latency

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

dCS Rossini w/clock on network via Ethernet

Description Of Issue

So this doesn’t’ happen when I’m using the dCS proprietary app (Mosaic), but with Roon, often I go to a play list, an album or whatever and try to play a song, then it starts to run thru the play list/album in rapid succession without even starting the track… and sometimes stops at a particular track and plays it, other times it just goes to the end of the album and stops. Occasionally while I have it working, it also stops mid track… it’s as if it’s disconnecting from the network but I can see that it’s not by looking at my terminal app and seeing the ping to the dCS network IP.

This behavior is similar to what I experienced with a different DAC/Streamer (PS Audio DSD) … only the rapid succession thing is unique to the dCS… Finally, I find that sometimes Roon cannot log into my Tidal (never an issue with Qobuz)… so not sure if that’s partly begins this.

Any ideas?

Sounds indeed like Roon cannot find the track becouse of music service (Tidal here) is not available.
I got the same behaviour with Qobuz when i quited Qobuz.
Does the issue go away when you logout Tidal and login again?

in my experience Roon playback will also skip tracks if the output zone is not connected / configured correctly.

@Harry_Spruyt this is my theory…for whatever reason, Roon keeps losing my Tidal and occasionally Qobuz connection. I mean there is some reason that Mosaic (the dCS app) works 99% of the tome, and Roon keeps having issues.

@Bart_Koekkoek any ideas on what sort of configuration issues I should look for? Seems to be working flawlessly with their native app, and is clearly on the network.

It happens to me if the selected zone is not actually able to play music. For me this only happens on the PC where I also run Roon and the soundcard is not available to Roon as an endpoint.
As you describe it it could also very well be a network issue as i assume Roon will also skip if it cannot find the endpoint because of network issues.

1 Like

Hi @Sam_Samaha,

Thanks for reaching out!

So that you are aware, we have often seen issues surrounding powerline adapter and as such we do not suggest to use these devices, but instead a mesh-style network with a Mesh-Backhaul. We provide some more details on our Networking Best Practices regarding this:

If you try to temporarily connect the Core and one of the problematic endpoints directly to the router, do you still notice the same issue occur?

1 Like

yep, the solution was to move the router closer to the dCS and plug the ethernet directly into it… not it’s working flawlessly … seems Roon is hyper sensitive to a good connection, even more so than the Mosaic app that comes with the dCS products.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.