Roon Labs: What's New For August

For me, the priority is using an iPad (Mini) as a remote. However, being able to use an iOS device as end-point when not on your home network would be awesome.

Is that “for now” or “ever?”

I’ve been using iPeng to listen to LMS on iPhone/iPad/iPod on occasion…

I’d be curious on this too, as I use iPeng/LMS in the same way sometimes.

I believe someone already mentioned it, but that functionality exists for the android version and I hope that isn’t lost.

@kim – for ipad, because of how the OS multitasks, it’d be better for everyone if we had a very lightweight roonspeakers app instead, that lives outside the user interface.

you’d lose the private nature of the zone, but youd get a lot more flexibility and stability.

If you have a non private zone on your ipad and use headphones, you are inviting volume accidents\jokes.
I guess it can be managed by the volume restriction you can set on the ipad, perhaps add this as a hint to the app?

aaaaarrrrghghhhhhh the anticipation….

What about the backup and recovery of the library, app, files?
(I’m IT pro and not only for me any software this scale without clear backup and recovery concept is really nothing to write home about :confused: and I would like to recommend roon to my friends with closed eyes :relaxed: )
What about a new installation workflow? with a standard OS installations procedure (Program Files, etc. AppData is not a place for the installation files, sorry)?

2 Likes

it won’t be in 1.1, but you wont have to wait until the next major release for it.

For many years apps that are meant to be local to user (and updatable by user without UAC prompts) belong in LocalAppData. For years, Chrome used to install there, as well any applications using the Microsoft ClickOnce mechanism.

We may offer moving the install or db to other directories, like a second drive, but don’t hold your breath. I speak much more about this here.

@danny – thanks for the response. The nice part about having playback on the iPad is its portability. But I’m much more anticipating RoonSpeakers and SqueezeBox end-points, so I’m not limited to the Apple TV in my setup.

I’m still trying to decide how to feel about having been happy with OS X and iOS for a good while now, but suddenly being “encouraged” to go with Windows and Android for Roon … :confused:

Maybe RoonSpeakers will run on the SqueezeBox Duet? :wink:

we are working as hard as we can right now to fix that for you and everyone else.

i doubt it, however, we hope to have squeezebox endpoint support in the next couple of months, so you can just speak directly… have you hacked apart your duet’s slab? what is inside? it’s gotta be much worse than a RPi2.

The “personal problem” here is that I’m actually considering to add a Windows box (NUC) just for Roon. :smile:

I’m trying hard to keep waiting, though, to accumulate more experience both directly on my own and through the forums here before buying any new hardware. I have a working setup and have been enjoying Roon daily with few exceptions (to the “daily” part, not the “enjoying”, to be clear).

NO!! I’ve tried to make sure it keeps working :smile:

The playback on it has never been reliable. Even if it manages to avoid dropouts, it tends to get confused about headphones being plugged in or not. So it would probably not be time well spent to make anything run there. (Although it might be an interesting hobby project to see what I could do, I’m afraid I wouldn’t really end up spending time on it.)

I always thought that the problem might be running too much in Perl there, but I haven’t really verified that that’s the case.

@Kim. I’m in the same position of looking to replace/expand my current setup but am keeping an open mind while I get to know Roon better and see how things develop. I am starting to think though that I’m not wedded to Apple for my audio system. Interesting times :grinning:

Hi Danny,
I understand your point of view, but…
The pity is that Google and Microsoft speak very seldom together…
Maybe one day :wink:

Hi Kim. I have been in the same position as you now. Having been had an Apple adopt for a very long time, I got myself a Windows machine (NUC) for the first time since windows 95 really.
I did have to spend some extra funds but besides taking the plunge I am very happy both with the reliability of the hardware and of course with Roon. Have been running pretty smoothly headless almost since the release without having the need to plug the alien NUC to a monitor and check for a problem.
I am quite impressed by both facts. And I have to say NUC is much cheaper then a Mac Mini.:slight_smile:

@Dmitry, @Kim… one huge plus about the NUC is you can mount it the back of a nice touchscreen and it makes you a nice control point too.

Some of us at Roon Labs use the HP Envy Recline 23 for this, but the guys over at Stereophile went NUC + touchscreen for far cheaper.

There are touchscreen drivers for OSX, but the guys usually want like $150 for them (DRIVERS!!!(*#@&$@#).

And the new Skylake fanlees NUCs have much better performance.
The Gigabyte (BRIX) versions are very nice, too!

1 Like

The Gigabyte Brix with the S/PDIF out can free you from USB dependency as well. :grinning:

@Dmitry – That’s how they get you, with the low prices :smiley:

Thanks for sharing your experience. I’ll wait for the headless core and what people think of it. Mostly because right now I don’t have the time to research the NUC variants available.

@danny – Hmm… a touchscreen by the sofa – hadn’t thought of doing that, until now.

Does this new server version mean I could use it on an older MacMini (1.8Ghz C2D, 4GB from 2007) that doesn’t run the latest OSX versions?