Roon Labs: What's New For August

realistically, the way i read this thread wasnt “Heres a heads up on the update coming in August” but more like “hey guys, heres some details about the future that we are telling you in august”

they never said the update would be this month, so there shouldnt be any reason for people to be upset if it doesnt come.

I did read the post as pointing towards an August release for 1.1, although it does note that no release date has been fixed. I haven’t heard anything from anyone that would indicate otherwise.

Agreed. I would wager that the devs are eager to get the next version out too. Interestingly, you see the same expectant behavior and dev post parsing from kids who play online games.

I also read the thread as ‘heres some detail about the future that we are telling you in august’.

There is nothing wrong with this thread or the message. In the spirit of open discussion and constructive criticism, what got to me was the initial representation that ios is coming in (firstly) june, then july. At the early stage the devs never said ios is tied to 1.1. There’s also no reason to tie ios to 1.1 because the android app proves that it could be done independently of any major update to core. Later the devs said sorry ios is not coming so soon because it will be released together with 1.1 which is still at super early stage. Why tie ios (which is probably mostly done) to 1.1 which is still at super early stage? The whole excuse just sounds not so logical to my mind.

My guess is that ios actually still has some ways to go and it will probably be done together with 1.1. If that is true I would appreciate honesty from the devs, rather the some flimsy excuse like the above.

How are the dev. being dishonest??? I really can’t believe some of the bitchiness some people are having here.

Would you rather have an unstable 1.1 rushed to the public only so some can complain about the bugs in it. I have no doubt in my mind that the Roon guys are honestly doing their best and I think some of these posts are just plain crazy… IMO, people relax.

4 Likes

Can you address the issues raised in my post instead of merely calling me a whiner? Lets have a civil discussion. Specifically, my question was ‘why tie ios which is mostly done to 1.1 which is still at super early stage?’

Sorry, but I wasn’t only talking about your post, but read the 10-12 posts above yours, the majority of the vibe is gimmie gimmie gimmie. Personally, I definitely give the guys at Roon the benefit of the doubt that they know more than either me or you do on when an upgrade is ready for the public… people need to relax, that’s all I was getting at.

With respect, as you state yourself you are “guessing” but the devs know, and as your “guessing” how do you know that ios not locked to v1.1. Not sure why you feel the need to make them look bad by second guessing their statements.

Also not sure why a piece of music playback software causes so much ire, its hardly life threatening is it.

Whenever I touch negatively on the ios issue, I get these sort of responses:

1. please stop whining
  2. trust the devs, they want it out as soon as possible too
  3. relax

I mean, we are allowed to make both positive and negative comments right? Don’t tell me whenever someone makes a negative comment they get told off or the thread gets locked because it is no longer productive.

When I make a negative comment, I welcome responses to my points. You may not agree with me but I get to listen to your point of view. But don’t just respond by censuring me for making a negative comment. That’s what I meant by having a civil discussion.

Fair enough.
My view is that asking for explanations or reports is counter-productive. The only people who can provide an answer are the developers, who are already as motivated as possible to release a secure upgrade as promptly as they can. It reminds me of this:

4 Likes

Hahaha good one!

I’m leaving for a two week trip around Italy on Friday. I bet the new version will come out as soon as I leave to the airport.

(But hey: pizza and pasta… I’m not complaining)

:smiley:

Because they’re probably relying on features for the iOS client that don’t exist previous to 1.1.

They’re developing an interrelated system.

1 Like

@andy – iOS was done in July, but because it is a common codebase, we could not release it in July, as it required a Roon Core that was newer than what was released, thus the way.

@sm31 is correct.

Thanks, exactly what I want to hear. Greatly appreciated!

oh yah… ill just sneak this in… v1.1 is going out today :smile:

iOS is waiting for app store approval, but soon!

8 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks all.

Wow serious? Are you pulling our legs? I had already convinced myself to be patient and wait a few more weeks!

Be still my heart! Now we just have to see how Apple is doing with App Store approval timeframe.

–David

we are writing release notes now :smile:

5 Likes